The sound of saving salmon

Moves them 50 yards.

MUCH better off taking them out as much of the US is already doing (and escalating) and is now into it's first baby steps in Canada.

No Repeat Offenders.

Nog

I totally agree Nog - however there's quite a number of places where it's a short distance across the water as the lead flies to houses and people - and shooting seals there could cause problems in addition to the inevitable complaints from people seeing and filming seal culls. So - there is a place for this technology in that specific circumstance, IMHO.

The solution, as has been applied here in Port, is called a modern crossbow.
Employed with proper discretion that is.

Nog

That’s the thing Nog, any clandestine seal cull that is “outed” will be crucified in the media. The whole process has to be transparent and be shown to be not only socially acceptable, but biologically sound. This process is not there yet, imo.

Maybe the crossbow platform gets put in the bushes 50 yards downstream of the speaker, then?

I totally agree Nog - however there's quite a number of places where it's a short distance across the water as the lead flies to houses and people - and shooting seals there could cause problems in addition to the inevitable complaints from people seeing and filming seal culls. So - there is a place for this technology in that specific circumstance, IMHO.
They did it on the Puntledge River and did not kill or injure anyone but the seals.
Proved beyond a doubt that culls work.

FN can cull all the seals they want and no government will stand up to them.

Trap and “relocate” to foodbanks
Have the carcasses been tested for accumulated toxins? Last I heard that was a requirement for this program to proceed but read on Facebook pinniped whiskers are now considered enough to warrant marketing them.

That's a good point, Dave. From what I have heard - that's part of the start-up - testing meat for contaminants. The leather for boots and coats would be fine - but it would be a waste of meat if they cannot be consumed. My personal thoughts would be that harbour seals (that are more localized wrt home range) in more Southern and more urbanized estuaries/harbours would likely be the most high-risk - similar as to how the testing for Chinook turned-out.

That's a good point, Dave. From what I have heard - that's part of the start-up - testing meat for contaminants. The leather for boots and coats would be fine - but it would be a waste of meat if they cannot be consumed. My personal thoughts would be that harbour seals (that are more localized wrt home range) in more Southern and more urbanized estuaries/harbours would likely be the most high-risk - similar as to how the testing for Chinook turned-out.
Here's some information on contaminants in local pinnipeds. I was fortunate to work with Peter Ross on some of this stuff - I had no idea seals smelled so bad, lol!

Have you eaten one yet? Pretty rich stuff - more fishy than mergansers or Eulachon, even, IMHO....

No, I have not. Haven't tried mergies and the only way I can eat eulachons is smoked. Weak stomach I guess!

Exactly. That's why I am thinking the meat market might not be a deal breaker. It'd be a very small market unless the meat could go into the pet food market, maybe.

Here's some information on contaminants in local pinnipeds. I was fortunate to work with Peter Ross on some of this stuff - I had no idea seals smelled so bad, lol!

Thanks for posting link. I'm still disappointed that his lab was shut down during the war on science years. It's good to see that some of the work continues. Never again will I be fooled by fast talking politicians of a certain stripe. We see them.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting link. I'm still disappointed that his lab was shut down during the war on science years. It's good to see that some of the work continues. Never again will I be fooled by fast talking politicians of a certain stripe. We see them.
Indeed, the contaminants lab was staffed by some incredible people, he was/is one.

They did it on the Puntledge River and did not kill or injure anyone but the seals.
Proved beyond a doubt that culls work.

FN can cull all the seals they want and no government will stand up to them.
I read the published reviews of both trial culls and they concluded there was no clear evidence shooting the seals produced a significant result. Other seals simply moved into the position of the seals killed near the hatchery. They tired other approaches and the one that worked the best was turning the road lights off on the Condensory Road bridge but the city was unwilling to continue that practice due to safety reasons

Back