The real reason of the Thompson collapse

I would be able to perform the macro invertebrate sampling in the same manor that was done in the last posted report. This should be ample information as to the present potential s/h productivity of the Thompson in comparison to 1973-1975. My informal rock rolling video sample this fall was enough to convince me of the collapsed ecology but for many people information on "on paper" is more credible than video documentation.

Had to look at a list of Fisheries Ministers, although a Liberal, I did like Brian Tobin!
The rest, meh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_Fisheries,_Oceans,_and_the_Canadian_Coast_Guard In reviewing that list, screwing the West Coast is actually non-partisan. Both sides did it liberally!!
Ya totally agree, GS. Lived through a few Fisheries Ministers myself. Tobin supported some heavy tactics against illegal fishing off the Grand Banks by the Spanish - directing Coast Guard to cut trawl nets - and bringing-in an illegal net on a barge to NY for a PR stunt. I remember people back East supported Tobin in those efforts - while Central Canadians - being detached from fishery issues - thought it was terrible. Tobin went on to be Premier of Newfoundland afterwards.

I also remember when David Anderson became Fisheries Minister - the West Coast though he'd be great. Kinda same-old, same-old - as it turned out....

Can't say I thought much of Gail Shea, neither.

Ugh, David Anderson.
The great white hope that instead decided to call his dog Kyoto before Stephan Dion.

Although I have never been able to confirm the story, it was rumoured that he was saved by the Pachena lighthouse keeper and trekked in to give the lightkeeper a gift of thanks.

I do know that as Transport Minister, he consistently stated that lighthouse keepers do not offer any additional safety functions that could not be performed by automation.
This was obviously divorced from reality and he knew it, but he had to sign from the choirbook and boy did he sign loud!

Emergency assessment launched for B.C.'s steelhead salmon
Only about 200 fish returned to the Thompson River this year; Chilcotin saw fewer than 50
By Linda Givetash, The Canadian Press Posted: Dec 13, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...launched-for-b-c-s-steelhead-salmon-1.4447766
So , is this another study, but this time its an emergency study? If so, what could possibly come out of this other than "Gee we really know what to do, but .....well.....its complicated.........so We will just do nothing....... like always"?

Ya - it's COSEWIC's emergency review. I find COSEWIC/SARA processes are really not fisheries management processes - and don't mesh well with traditional DFO stock assessment and IFMP processes.

Basically, COSEWIC has been around for years - focusing on all furry, feathered, crusty and scaly critters all across Canada - looking at available stock data - if any exists. It's an in-house academic exercise using criteria like stock trajectories to determine extinction risk. These COSEWIC experts can be expected NOT to be experts on the species nor the areas - but rather instead on stock trajectory & risk methodologies.

Whatever recommendations they come up with - and it's usually a secret as to how they did that - they hand off to the folks at SARA - and in the case of fish - to DFO. SARA came after COSEWIC - and is similarly not a fisheries management process - but rather a risk aversion/reduction process.

Then the SARA folks have to take whatever was pumped-out by COSEWIC and try to (in some cases, some times) - fit a square peg in a round hole - especially if the CUs/stocks recommended to be at risk with SARA don't mesh well with traditional fisheries regulations and areas. SARA have a few options about whether to list or not - but not to alter what COSEWIC recommends. Ultimately, it is up to the Minister (in this case the DFO Minister) to list or not - after applying a socioeconomic filter.

Usually, if a species is listed - targeted fisheries are verboten - while bycatch can be allowed with a "permit".

So - it is a long process - years usually - and that has been my experience and perceptions detailed above.... but I am unfamiliar with how this "emergency assessment" works in comparison the the normal SARA process.

Last edited:
So - it is a long process - years usually - and that has been my experience and perceptions detailed above.... but I am unfamiliar with how this "emergency assessment" works in comparison the the normal SARA process.
Thanks AA. I really appreciate the details of where this was originated and how the process works. If this is supposed to be the Thompson race's saving grace, I suspect we should all just say good bye now.

Well, maybe - hard to say, FA.

In any event - with or w/o COSEWIC/SARA - there is nothing stopping DFO from instituting management measures - using the "Precautionary Approach". It's just that I am not convinced that the twinned COSEWIC/SARA processes are appropriate processes for "aiding" recovery - rather than tracking vulnerability, instead. I guess we will all see how this plays out....

Emergency assessment launched for B.C.'s steelhead salmon
Only about 200 fish returned to the Thompson River this year; Chilcotin saw fewer than 50
By Linda Givetash, The Canadian Press Posted: Dec 13, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...launched-for-b-c-s-steelhead-salmon-1.4447766

It shouldn't take them more than a day or so to figure things out. A quick visit to the T itself to examine invertebrate assemblages and an evening of viewing water chemistry records should almost do it. It would be worth testing for precipitated heavy metals too. Just because they are not always present or dissolved in the water doesn't mean they are not present in the stream bed and causing issues. They just have to look. All the answers are still in the stream itself.
COSEWIC/SARA involvement would probably result in more sport fishing closures and not enhancement initiatives. Once all the people who care about steelhead are gone this issue can finally be put to rest. My opinion anyways.

Back