the popemobile is getting tired

He sent me a few more but theyre a bit more detailed with dimensions and stuff and I didnt want to just post them in public without his permission, figured that wouldnt be very respectful

Just a bit of a curve on the forward gunnels, please. Hard to describe in words, like a woman. You just know when she looks right. Any plans for radar? Congratulations.

Of course, who doesnt like curves - women or boats. Ive put my trust in my builder, and Im sure whatever he comes up with will be both functional and beautiful. He worked at Titan Boats for many years but this will be his first deep-v build in his own shop. Hes very passionate and detail-oriented so I have no worries there whatsoever. No plans for radar at this point, possibly in the future although I have no idea where Id mount it as I dont plan on having a t-top. The layout will be very similar to the 22' outrage I operate at the lodge.

Got my (mostly) finalized build list and pricing emailed to me this morning and I must say Im starting to get excited, even though the finished product is likely 3 months or so out. Cant wait until I have some build pics to share with you guys/gals!

When I have the motors hung, Im hoping to convert my T9.9 tiller model (electric start, manual tilt) to remote throttle controls... anyone have any insight into how easy/difficult this is and what parts are needed? I did a little googling and it seems OMC might make what Im looking for. Currently using a servo throttle, which is nice for fine tuning speed, but I think Id rather have a 703 style control box.

Ah man, you must be getting excited. Heck, I’m excited for you. Look forward to following along on the build process.

I was thinking it was a possible Tolman Skiff when I looked at it and emailed him weeks ago but I gave my head a shake. Likely better to start new considering what I can see from the pictures. If it looked anything like this I would have been seening my dad in Courtenay over right away. https://victoria.craigslist.org/atq/d/central-saanich-22-foot-tolman-skiff/7161071035.html

No updates yet - I was away for a few weeks. Fished out of a 24' NWAC for 3 weeks so I was pretty spoiled. My builder is just finishing up a few other smaller projects before he gets started laying the hull. Hes got all the materials at his shop and just needs to make some room (literal shop space, as well as time) for the build. Im going to drop off a cheap knockoff gopro at his shop and hopefully I can do a time lapse and a collage after completion.

In the mean time heres another pic:
cid_424.jpg

Is that 22'-5" LOA? Awesome, I thought you were planning an 18 footer. Is this a total original design or has he built this hull before? Looking forward to the build.

If you add up the dimensions in that birds-eye-view pic its about 20.5 LOA, the finished product may vary a bit. He built one for himself several years ago, so hes designing this one based off of that one, but its basically being designed from scratch. These are just preliminary sketches, and some of the numbers are a bit hard to read. For example, it looks like the beam width could be 7'4'2" or maybe 7'4^1/2" or maybe 7'9^1/2", but in another drawing the beam width at the top of the gunnals is 92" which is 7'8". When we spoke in person he told me after going over some numbers and designs that he didnt want to go any wider than 8' on the beam, and that he would feel best about 18' plus outboard bracket for LOA.

He has worked at Titan Boats in Sidney for years, and just recently got his own shop, so he was looking to do a complete build like this, and I was looking for someone passionate and detail oriented as a builder, so things kind of just worked out. He knows I plan to put my 90hp yamaha on it for now, and hes assured me that itll be enough power to push it with the reverse chines, lifting strakes, and delta keel. It should have about 17 degrees of deadrise. Of course all these numbers are subject to change as the build progresses.

If you check out https://www.shadowlineboats.com/ he builds a 16' jetsled. The layout of mine will be similar, but on a larger scale, with a deeper hull and higher gunnals. The side sheets will be thicker as well so hopefully that will take care of the "hungry horse" look where the welds meet the side sheets.

Back