the popemobile is getting tired

Nothing wrong with wolfs press formed hulls, he’s done the research and found it better than horizontal welds. They’re nice boats, I’ve gone through his builds and run a few.

If you are looking for a new 18 foot build you’ll be into the basic hull for 35k minimum with any builder listed. 50-55 k finished package on the low side and 90+k the high side:

Here is a new hull and trailer for under $30K

46352710-9603-4FC7-BFEB-85DC7754E32B.jpeg https://calgary.craigslist.org/boa/d/high-river-19-off-shore-express/7131252784.html

Last edited:
Nice lines on that hull. It adds up though, 10-15k to properly finish build, 15k+ if new power, 5k electronics and rigging. 60-65k rig with an unknown builder. I’ve tried every way to keep prices down on cc aluminums and they always come in way over budget.

Check with Walker Custom. I was recently in their shop and they mentioned that they might build some new 18s. I’ve got one and have been happy with it.

https://walkerboats.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Kelly! Im shopping around and in talks with a few different fabricators. I already have power, trailer, electronics on my popemobile so Im really just looking for a hull with a couple extras. Youre absolutely correct on fullticket allin aluminum build prices. Originally I wanted to have something cheap and simple built in the 15k range, but quickly realized what Id get for that probably wouldnt suit my needs and Id be looking fo a new boat before this ones even built.

Without getting into the specifics as I feel that would be disrespectful to the builders that did put together quotes for me, I can say Ive been quoted anywhere from 20k-60k (plus tax) for a basic 18' CC offshore hull with a few options:
-self bail deck
-under deck fuel
-fish locker
-floatation
-all the standard basics

Im sure the Wolf boats are plenty strong, Im just not a fan of those weld seams. I realize the irony of the guy who owns the ugliest fishing vessel on the coast (maybe the planet) getting all uppity about a few welds, but the popemobile didnt cost me 35k. I did reach out to walker but never got a reply. Id say Im about 50/50 on getting a response from builders. Idk if they think Im just kicking tires or maybe theyre busy, I just want to have all my facts straight before I commit to a build. Ive also emailed Bruce Cope about tweaking the Malaspina design. Id like to have the "raised sheer" transom meet flush with the sides, and add lifting strakes and reverse chines. :)

Thanks again to everybody whos helped out with suggestions and experiences. If this project comes to fruition, you folks will have had a huge hand in it.

buy a cope kit and get E&D in Whisky Creek to put it together. great communication and skills.

Keep in mind most of these welding shops are backed up 1-2 years with their current orders with the popularity of Aluminum boats and boating in general right now.

Most of them are giving out the “f-off price” rather than the “we really need your business” price. Hence, why the resale market is so high.

I did see that one! It checks a lot of boxes but its a little big for my subaru forrester to drag up and down the island. After browsing the used market for a couple weeks Im pretty much resigned to the fact that Ill have to have one built if Im going to get exactly what I want. The good news is if I do this right Ill only have to do it once. :)

i have a 16' ex lodge boat, north king lodge.. is that what your looking for? beamy, tank, center console. i tow it with my forrester but i would say that is the limit!

buy a cope kit and get E&D in Whisky Creek to put it together. great communication and skills.
Update:

I emailed e&d about this and got no reply, but I did get a few replies from other builders about it.

The long and the short of it is that dollar for dollar you dont get nearly as much boat or (surprisingly) as much customization compared to other local custom builders. The cope malaspina plans I looked into having built lacked some key features in the hull design and structure, some that could in theory be added or altered but would cost a lot of time and money.

$1500 design and cutfile licence
$10-15k materials cutting bending delivery
$10-20k paying a shop to assemble it

And thats for a bare bones hull with no reverse chines, no lifting strakes, and a 15 degree deadrise. Still a long ways away from being a boat. You can get a lot of boat for that money elsewhere.

Having a boat built is not cheap. I was quoted 65000-68000 Plus or minus 10% by reputable shops to build a Cope winter harbour 23’. That’s a bare bones hull. No windows, no doors. Labour makes up the bulk of the cost.

My next boat, I want to find a hull that needs to be refurbished or rebuilt due to accident/neglect. I liked that silver streak hull on the other thread that needs a refit, but timing is off at the moment.
Good luck on your search.

Ya need a fibreglass "PopeMobile"... you can build one yourself save mega $$$$

photo 4 (7) (Custom).jpg

I did a lower island tour of a few boat shops today. Saw lots of very pretty things and mostly have it nailed down in terms of what I want. All 3 shops I visited (Lifetimer, Versatile, Shadowline) do some lovely work!!

Gentlemen, I believe I have just ordered a boat.

Be on the lookout for a custom 18' CC from Shadowline Boats, coming soon(ish, sorta) to a fishing hole near you!!
I don't see it on their web or Facebook page, only a shallow draft hull. Any pics to show?

Hes designing and building it from scratch. It will be roughly 20.5' LOA with an 8' beam. 18 degree deadrise, lifting strakes, reverse chines, full transom bracket, self bailing deck, etc. Solely designed for the purpose of fishing. I should get a concept drawing and schematics within a week or so so Ill keep this updated if theres any interest.

Hes designing and building it from scratch. It will be roughly 20.5' LOA with an 8' beam. 18 degree deadrise, lifting strakes, reverse chines, full transom bracket, self bailing deck, etc. Solely designed for the purpose of fishing. I should get a concept drawing and schematics within a week or so so Ill keep this updated if theres any interest.

...”if there is any interest.” :)

Many people on this forum ( mostly me ) are living vicariously thru your new boat purchase.
Congrats on the new rig!
Hope to see some pics of that beauty.

Congratulations....and enjoy the process. It can be a lot of fun! Mostly.....lol

Back