the popemobile is getting tired

Took my giant forehead out to test the new transducer location today. It seems to work better but its still not perfect. The imaging from my old Elite-5 Chirp was way more detailed than this new Hook Reveal 9. It cant locate bottom at high speeds, still seems to have some echoing, still starts in "sonar stopped" mode, and I havent marked any bait or fish yet but Ive only caught 1 so that could just be because there arent many fish around!

Im thinking I might need to make a change, either a new transducer with a bit better capability (maybe a thru-hull), or a 2nd unit strictly for depth sounder duty (probably with a new transducer as well).

Anybody have any thoughts on switching transducers or adding a 2nd unit?

Took my giant forehead out to test the new transducer location today. It seems to work better but its still not perfect. The imaging from my old Elite-5 Chirp was way more detailed than this new Hook Reveal 9. It cant locate bottom at high speeds, still seems to have some echoing, still starts in "sonar stopped" mode, and I havent marked any bait or fish yet but Ive only caught 1 so that could just be because there arent many fish around!

Im thinking I might need to make a change, either a new transducer with a bit better capability (maybe a thru-hull), or a 2nd unit strictly for depth sounder duty (probably with a new transducer as well).

Anybody have any thoughts on switching transducers or adding a 2nd unit?

What’s you’re current traducer, p66? Is that one supposed to show depth at high speed?

so you have bottom at trolling speed but lose it when you’re up on step? if so that’s not the transducers fault. it’s a placement or positioning issue. i have garmin stuff so can’t comment on what you have but i had issues with this and if i moved it one increment on the transom it made all the difference in the world. you’ll get it figured out. the echoing issue is quite another thing. it could be sensitivity, i think it’s a setting thing that also will iron out.

i had a nite mare of a time with my old Lowrance Elite 5 before i worked out all the bugs

so you have bottom at trolling speed but lose it when you’re up on step? if so that’s not the transducers fault. it’s a placement or positioning issue. i have garmin stuff so can’t comment on what you have but i had issues with this and if i moved it one increment on the transom it made all the difference in the world. you’ll get it figured out. the echoing issue is quite another thing. it could be sensitivity, i think it’s a setting thing that also will iron out.

i had a nite mare of a time with my old Lowrance Elite 5 before i worked out all the bugs
I would see what version of software you are running and if not the latest update it.
Here is the link I found

and the video on how to do it.

When I saw pictures of your pod it looks like it is raised a bit up from the transom. So if the transducer is at the back of it now is it actually in the water when on plane? Honestly a thru hull is your best bet for a number of reasons.

I believe its this one https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop...ance/lowrance-hst-dfsbl-50-200khz-transducer/ which is similar to the one I had on my old boat, and it worked way better than this one does. I think the location is fine on the one I have installed now, not sure why its having issues.

I’ve heard from a few people that that transducer and the p66 likes to be deeper than others. If you’re able to lower it more into the water give that a try.

No idea why it’s powering on with “sounder off”. That sounds weird.

I would see what version of software you are running and if not the latest update it.
Here is the link I found

and the video on how to do it.

When I saw pictures of your pod it looks like it is raised a bit up from the transom. So if the transducer is at the back of it now is it actually in the water when on plane? Honestly a thru hull is your best bet for a number of reasons.
Yeah its a stepped pod, its only an inch difference though, the transducer is a fair way under the water.

Also the unit is brand new but Ill try updating it as well

I’ve heard from a few people that that transducer and the p66 likes to be deeper than others. If you’re able to lower it more into the water give that a try.

No idea why it’s powering on with “sounder off”. That sounds weird.
Its as low on the pod as possible, and as far to the right away from the main as possible too.

When the unit powers on it defaults to "sonar stopped" which makes me think something is wrong with either the unit, or the cable, or the compatibility or something. Maybe I should just call Lowrance, they would probably have some ideas. A google search leads me to a bunch of results that tell me how to start the sonar in the options but nothing that Ive seen so far about how to prevent it from starting up in that mode.

Its as low on the pod as possible, and as far to the right away from the main as possible too.

When the unit powers on it defaults to "sonar stopped" which makes me think something is wrong with either the unit, or the cable, or the compatibility or something. Maybe I should just call Lowrance, they would probably have some ideas. A google search leads me to a bunch of results that tell me how to start the sonar in the options but nothing that Ive seen so far about how to prevent it from starting up in that mode.

Roger.

If you figure this out with Lowrance online, please update us.

Sweet freaking boat congrats! Should be a template for CCs on the coast.

I have 16 lifetimer and now feel like I should start again for some reason.

Also had a hook 9 with sidescan that didn't sound properly. They are sending a replacement unit they promise will work for me.

Beauty boat! Sorry for all the build headaches but for sure you’re gonna be happy not settling! Not sure if it applies to the newer Lowrance Hook Sounders but the older models were popular when they first launched with the Stillwater crowd here in the Interior.... that is until folks discovered what junk they were. Since then, pretty much on the no bueno list when folks ask what Stillwater sounder to get, which is surprising as Lowrance HD Sounders are good (but, sorry, they’re no Garmin! Lol). Anyway, hope you can get it sorted.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back