The Pacific Ocean is so acidic that it's dissolving Dungeness crabs' shells

Yeah I've heard from oyster and mussel farmers that they are having difficulty getting their 'spat' because the acidity erodes the shell faster than it can be grown.

The news is about crabs, but this also affects prawns, and even certain plankton.

It's basic science, and I've read articles about this over a decade ago. It's unfortunate that it's happening earlier than expected.

Good find OBD.
Another fact proving OA is a lie is that precipitation pH has been on a rising trend with surface fws also in a rising alkalinity trend. It would be impossible for co2 to acidify oceans but not precipitation and surface waters.
I’m sure some of the SFBC antis are now going to say the author of link you posted is not credible and the news report of climate doom are all true!! Lol.

Good find OBD.
Another fact proving OA is a lie is that precipitation pH has been on a rising trend with surface fws also in a rising alkalinity trend. It would be impossible for co2 to acidify oceans but not precipitation and surface waters.
I’m sure some of the SFBC antis are now going to say the author of link you posted is not credible and the news report of climate doom are all true!! Lol.
Yeah, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is trying to trick you for some nefarious purpose! ha! and anyone that believes it is now an "anti" lol! Anti what? basic chemistry or ability to read the news? Read this basic science and join the rest of the world:
https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/What+is+Ocean+Acidification?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

People working at nasa could be just as biased for man caused climate change as many others are. When I say “anti’s” I mean narrow minded, tunnel vision people who are brainwashed by news articles and just refuse to accept contrary facts. The basic chemistry explained buy your nasa link is correct till it states rising co2 is acidifying the oceans. They at nasa do also omit the fact of other more influential elements which lower pH and alkalinity. For the oceans to acidify they would have to go below pH7. Does your nasa claim that too?

Sangster. Can you please explain to me with, nasa’s basic chemistry, how the effect of co2 can cause acidification in the oceans but not the precipitation and surface waters??

Some random guy on the internet - NASA dont no nuttin about chemistry or physics.
NASA - Really, hold my beer.

GLG. Were you able to find anyone to hold your beer so you can focus and we can bring the topic back to earth?

If the oceans were acidifying would the pH not have to be below 7? On earth that is?

If atmospheric co2 is indeed acidifying the ocean then why is the precipitation and surface waters not? Again, this is on earth I am referring to.

Two simple questions. Any answers?

GLG. Were you able to find anyone to hold your beer so you can focus and we can bring the topic back to earth?

If the oceans were acidifying would the pH not have to be below 7? On earth that is?

If atmospheric co2 is indeed acidifying the ocean then why is the precipitation and surface waters not? Again, this is on earth I am referring to.

Two simple questions. Any answers?
EMPHATICALLY - NO!:
SW is not FW. The average pH of the oceans near the surface is around 8.1. Freshwater lakes, ponds and streams usually have a pH of 6-8 depending on the surrounding soil and bedrock. In deeper lakes where stratification (layering) occurs, the pH of water is generally higher (7.5-8.5) near the surface and lower (6.5-7.5) at greater depth. Distilled water is 7.0

The pH scale measures the acidity or alkalinity of a liquid, from 0 to 14—7 is neutral, anything below 7 is acidic and anything higher is alkaline. That pH number LOWERING means ACIDIFYING - no matter where you start.

EMPHATICALLY - NO!:
SW is not FW. The average pH of the oceans near the surface is around 8.1. Freshwater lakes, ponds and streams usually have a pH of 6-8 depending on the surrounding soil and bedrock. In deeper lakes where stratification (layering) occurs, the pH of water is generally higher (7.5-8.5) near the surface and lower (6.5-7.5) at greater depth. Distilled water is 7.0

The pH scale measures the acidity or alkalinity of a liquid, from 0 to 14—7 is neutral, anything below 7 is acidic and anything higher is alkaline. That pH number LOWERING means ACIDIFYING - no matter where you start.

Well duh!!!

Except for the part where you claim a drop in pH is “acidifying”. A drop in pH is called a drop in pH. A drop from 8-7.8 would be called “be coming more neutral”. A drop from 7-6.8 could be called acidifying. For the purpose of climate scare news headlines use the “acidifying” term because it sounds more ominous but is not true. Something some prefer to go by.

As for how the ocean pH could be dropping from atmospheric co2 but not the precipitation you did jus spew a bunch of garble. Nothing you typed answers the question whatsoever.

Is the ocean now an acid? Because if it is their statement is correct. Is it even possible for the ocean to become an acid? Or does it’s self buffering system work. Over our life time how much has the ph dropped??

a·cid·i·fy
/əˈsidəˌfī/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: acidifying
  1. make or become acid.

Let me tell you all that you all sound pretty unintelligent in this debate. Best you all do some reading or call you middle school chemistry teacher and then read your stuff here again. I am sure you will get a good chuckle out of it. I could take the time to explain you a few simple water chemistry facts but frankly I don't like the tone of your discussion so I won't bother. Out.

Let me tell you all that you all sound pretty unintelligent in this debate. Best you all do some reading or call you middle school chemistry teacher and then read your stuff here again. I am sure you will get a good chuckle out of it. I could take the time to explain you a few simple water chemistry facts but frankly I don't like the tone of your discussion so I won't bother. Out.

Glad some people who are educated about chemistry have now arrived on the scene.

Are they going to answer the questions or just attempt to discredit and belittle others? How complicated are these questions? Either you know or down know. Which is it?

Just so the people with only middle school education don’t get side tracked by the usual spin doctoring I will attempt to ask the original questions again.

1. Is the terminology “ocean acidification” correct in describing the lowering ocean pH trend or should the correct term be “ocean neutralization”?

2. How could atmospheric co2 be lowering ocean ph but not the precipitation?

The sensational aspect of the title sure does not match the conclusion.

Crabs may have to expend a bit more enemy rebuild their shell

Back