The orca famine and Puget Sound's poisoned rivers

I believe it has taken the resident whales number dropping to show DFO and us that there are 3 or 4 key problems going on ...I would like to believe that most or all of these point can and will be acted on... stay tuned as things will start happening shortly to help our southern friends.....

Matt-- are you getting your Suzukis mixed up ????

Nope. Was referencing this line form the original link:

"The quickest way to end the orca famine would be to end the commercial and sports fisheries for chinook in the Salish Sea, and Canadian scientist David Suzuki called for that action following the release of Wasser’s study."

Hogwash!

Cheers,
Nog

HI Nog.. we already know David Suzuki full of shat :) Science shows other wise :)

Last edited:
I think the Puget sound numbers are 87% out going smolts eaten by seals. Which equates to 7.9 million, Chinook

Cow river is something like 40-50%, study going to look at raccoon and birds this year. It been Found that ptt tags still work in the raccoons' stomach and the trail cams show raccoons are active in the river. By studying them, they will be able to put a weight of the damage being done......

the blue Heron rookery has a lot of pit tag in the scat piles too.... there is way to slow down the impact on the fish ...

So it seems we should just shoot the Racoons, Herons, Seals, Mergansers Gulls and maybe any Eagles in the estuary too . The reason all of these animals are feasting on smolts is because we decided that it was better to have millions of them raised nice and fat in a hatchery, having never had to evade a predator, then flush them down into the estuary in a few pulses for millions of them to mingle about waiting to get picked off. And now its the predators fault they have figured out an easy meal exists and are taking advantage of it?

you forgot to put otter's in that statement:rolleyes: oh come on man..wasn't even suggestion that... :confused:

So it seems we should just shoot the Racoons, Herons, Seals, Mergansers Gulls and maybe any Eagles in the estuary too . The reason all of these animals are feasting on smolts is because we decided that it was better to have millions of them raised nice and fat in a hatchery, having never had to evade a predator, then flush them down into the estuary in a few pulses for millions of them to mingle about waiting to get picked off. And now its the predators fault they have figured out an easy meal exists and are taking advantage of it?
So, your not really against fish farms.... You more of an anti aquaculture person. I guess all the work being done on the Salish sea you are also against. The ptt tagging of smolts shows a survival rate increase of 40% when released miles downstream of the cow. The Seymour shows a 40-50% increase when deep sea release is done. Acidification studies indicate that smolts loose there sense of predators when exposed to unbalanced water......

Would you be of help and tell us how much hatcheries influence wild salmon stocks or .... Fish farms?

you forgot to put otter's in that statement:rolleyes: oh come on man..wasn't even suggestion that... :confused:

Thanks, I forgot otters! - I figured your herons was a bit tongue in cheek but some of the other comments perhaps less so, sorry for any offense! I'm taking the Admins advice on the christmas spirit on the fish farm thread to heart, I hope you have a good one Derby!

So, your not really against fish farms.... You more of an anti aquaculture person. I guess all the work being done on the Salish sea you are also against. The ptt tagging of smolts shows a survival rate increase of 40% when released miles downstream of the cow. The Seymour shows a 40-50% increase when deep sea release is done. Acidification studies indicate that smolts loose there sense of predators when exposed to unbalanced water......

Would you be of help and tell us how much hatcheries influence wild salmon stocks or .... Fish farms?

You have this same argument going with AA and BigDogeh on I think 3 other threads, I have chosen to not engage you anymore on those as the arguments have just gone in circles, You want a concrete number of exactly how many fish are impacted by run, if that cant be produced for you its proof of no effect. It goes on for 20 pages now on the fish farm thread ad nauseum. I'm pro Salmon spawning the way they they evolved to do so, in the presence of the species that evolved with them. The only way proven to actually work.

Thanks, I forgot otters! - I figured your herons was a bit tongue in cheek but some of the other comments perhaps less so, sorry for any offense! I'm taking the Admins advice on the christmas spirit on the fish farm thread to heart, I hope you have a good one Derby!

It all good... :)

Right handed shot by the looks of that blood stained stick...put him on the Canucks defense and maybe we can start to intimidate some opposing forwards. lol

You have this same argument going with AA and BigDogeh on I think 3 other threads, I have chosen to not engage you anymore on those as the arguments have just gone in circles, You want a concrete number of exactly how many fish are impacted by run, if that cant be produced for you its proof of no effect. It goes on for 20 pages now on the fish farm thread ad nauseum. I'm pro Salmon spawning the way they they evolved to do so, in the presence of the species that evolved with them. The only way proven to actually work.
That's awesome......
Can you answer DFO's question?
You keep saying fish are dead at the hands of farms, can you inform me as to how many?

Like a broken record......
Guy stands up at questions period in the 2017 science emporium reflecting salish sea study. Asks the question why is there nothing on fish farms?
The basic response is: Do you have any information on what runs and how many fish are being killed at the hands of fish farms? When you do get back to us. Because we have spent millions and millions and we got nothin, an in moving forward we will spend what money we have left on finding out were wild salmon stock are disappearing.

If you dont like what I have to say then just ignore me..... This is the second time you have said you choose not to engage me but here you are....

Back