The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

First day in the salt for 2011 yesterday in the Upper Sound. One undersize and that was it. Nice day on the water with a bit sun and calm seas though.

Gee FM still not a sticky yet, you think they could squeeze it in with the other 6...

Boat is almost ready to go, see you guy's soon.

Oh well, if they don't want it to be a sticky, that's ok. Sounds like we're giving it more effort than the Nanaimo/French Creek fellas right now anyways.

A few fish caught at Grace Islands, off Point Grey and Cowan Point over the last few days in between the winds. :)

Had a quick session out there today. Only spent about 2 hours as the winds picked up a bit. Trolled all around the markers off pt. grey and around the QB. Managed to pick up a nice little chinook of about 8-10 lbs but that was our only bite. Hit was on a chovie in a white/glow teaser head at 65'. Had the crab trap down as well and started the day with more keepers in the trap (I checked it to re-bait) then I ended up with... hmm, another raid me thinks. Not happy about that but all too typical around Vancouver these days. They weren't even kind enough to leave me a few beers like the good ole days. Will be heading over to the gulf islands soon as that fishery should be heating up soon.

Only been fishing around Van for a couple years now so I'm learning the ropes still for this area. I hear the Bowen fishery should be getting going very soon and wanted to hear some of your experiences on this fishery. I fished Seymour Bay and Tunstall last year and got into a few but still learning the structure in those and other places in/around Bowen. What locations are best on what tides? Are chovies the 'go to' for this time of year? Spoons still working well? I realize most of you, like myself, aren't keen to give away you best kept and hard-earned secrets but just looking for some general help on this fishery to help with the growing pains. thx

There are no secrets-currents concentrate bait between 60'-160 deep with most fish found around 90'.

Yes spoons work all year round I'm not convinced that bait is any better and white hootchies have been killer for decades.

Anywhere from a couple hundred yards from shore to 5 miles offshore depending where you find bait-look for humps on the bottom it may make a difference.

Thx for the info Dogbreath.
You're Welcome!

Is it also best on the flood?
Not like it is over @ Ambleside & the Red Can-the best time to go is whenever the wind isn't blowing too hard.

It's a funny place though all that water washing out of Howe Sound & Indian Arm & English Bay whirling around not to mention Georgia Strait right there-sometimes the bite is steady sometime it's on/off sometimes the Seals are thick sometime not one to be seen.

It's time to go fishing!!!

I know of a 25 lber, 20 lbe (released), a 17 lber and an upper 20's lost behind the boat in the last 4 days. That's with limited effort out there!!! There is considerable size in the area right now.

A combination of Anchovy, Spoons and Plastic have hit these fish.

Go get 'em guys....burrrrrp!

Was out yeasterday. Put in 3 hours at the slash off Bowen, 2 hours in Tustall then finished off the day in the harbour. Released one undersize off the nslash, that was it. Spoke to 4 other boats, no one else had even had a bite!

Guess we hit a slow day.

Looks like the fish are little late over on your side.. same here in Port Renfrew the Salmon are not here, but they are East.

Fishing should be picking up soon. I'm getting boat ready and geared up for some serious fishing this summer. Just need the weather to cooperate.

Was out off the Point Grey Bell Buoy for a couple hours at the Saturday afternoon change of tide. Released two that were just undersized and a 3rd that wasn't much larger than the anchovy that it bit. Need to try a little further out at either the QA or the south end of Bowen next weekend.

Tried the south end of Bowen and Tunstall bay early saturday no action but was back at the dock by 11:30 am...probably missed the bite.

hmmm? recent reports are not sounding to hot :) At least the weather is nice today. I'll be heading out in the next few days so hopefully I can get into some fish and post a more uplifting report. Appreciate all the Vancouverites updating this thread on a regular basis nonetheless to keep us all in the loop.

Had a report from a friend on gambier , 20 lber off hut . Wish I had my own report but the boat is back at galleon . May have to get the old boat back. Hope to be fishing next weekend if the water issue gets fixed. Keep the reports rolling in .

Does anyone have a "fresh" report from the last couple days ... trying to decide where to try locally this weekend.

Thanks to all in advance.

Back