The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Still a few around...effort has been somewhat limited though....fish being caught have 5" and larger herring in them. Recent size is ranging from 11 to 18 lbs. Largest last week was 18 lbs. Hopefully heading out this coming weekend and going to make my own fishing report...will post results.

Got out to Georgia Strait for the first time this year, turned out to be a pretty good day. Weather was ok in the morning and flat and sunny by afternoon. Landed a total of 5 salmon, two were undersized and released, so we got 1 each like 7lb, 9 and 10. Dropped 4 prawn traps and got 6 prawns total, maybe try a different spot next time.
Lost a cannon ball and broke some rollers off the trailer pulling out, gotta fix it before next weekend.

Was out off West Van this past Saturday and Sunday afternoon for 2 hours each day. Lost one nice fish at the boat on Saturday. Released two slightly undersized and had one better fish on briefly on the Sunday. Fishing anchovies just off bottom.

Any thoughts as to when the fish might start to show off the south end of Bowen?

Nice to hear there are some decent fish being taken right now around Van Harbour. Is anyone having any luck on the ebb or is the flood still pretty much the only game in town? The tides don't look great as the big floods are all late afternoon and well into 'dark' for the next while. Either that or ya gotta get out at 3am which is generally tough to do :)

fishin magician, are you rolling your larger 5" + herring a little higher up in the water column? I've found the larger stuff works better a little higher up while I'm still dragging my smaller spoons/chovies just off bottom. thx

Just wondering what the fishing is like at the end of April? And where should I try fishing at? I plan on going to the coast for the easter weekend. I will be launching at horseshoe bay or sunset marina. The last time I fished there was 1976 with my Dad and I was 15. lots has changed since then.

Thanks for any info.

Just wondering what the fishing is like at the end of April? And where should I try fishing at? I plan on going to the coast for the easter weekend. I will be launching at horseshoe bay or sunset marina. The last time I fished there was 1976 with my Dad and I was 15. lots has changed since then.
South End of Bowen Island 60'-160' deep usually 90' produces best but you never know.

Wind can be a challenge @ that time if that's the case try closer to shore from Horseshoe Bay down to Sunset.

Nice to hear there are some decent fish being taken right now around Van Harbour. Is anyone having any luck on the ebb or is the flood still pretty much the only game in town? The tides don't look great as the big floods are all late afternoon and well into 'dark' for the next while. Either that or ya gotta get out at 3am which is generally tough to do :)

fishin magician, are you rolling your larger 5" + herring a little higher up in the water column? I've found the larger stuff works better a little higher up while I'm still dragging my smaller spoons/chovies just off bottom. thx

Tincan, yes, I roll my medium herring higher in the column. I find that they hit hard on the herring--and it's always a great hookup. There is definitely more than just a few larger fish around at this time of year...expect the unexpected. Some of the best fishing is around the corner in Vancouver. Get Ready!

Hey TooTall!

Definitely South Bowen is a "best bet" for the Vancouver area at the end of April. I don't know what rig you're running, but "the other side" Thrasher to Nanaimo can offer some red hot fishing as well...so if your craft is seaworthy, load up on the fuel. Stay tuned for reports. I look forward to April....it's a great way to kick off the fun we're going to have in 2011. You never know from day to day but you can have double digit days on 10 plus pound fish off South Bowen at that time of year and going to Thrasher could be a waste of gas. Basically, you can't lose at the end of April.

i am going to try around defense islands this coming fri/weekend if anyone is out give me holler, will update...

I was thinking of making a tip late April Easter weekend!! I was planning on taking my 20 foot hewescraft across to Thraser rock and stay in the marina for a couple of nights. Is my boat safe that time of year or is it more for 25 and bigger? Whats the fishing and marina like over there that time of year?

Thanks
JAC

tried around hut, 4 GOOD HITS , didn't make the defense islands as gambier hot tub was too nice, got 1- 8lb sweet purple spring (released), large herring in a chartruese clear holder, purple haze flasher , lotsa lings..

We were out on the west van shoreline yesterday with a couple other boats for about 3 hours. beautiful day on the water as it was flat calm and sunny. Bad news is no fish. used a combo of spoons and herring but not a sniff. Didn't see either of the other boats into anything either. I'm hoping the gulf islands fishery starts to get going here soon as there skunk days aren't fun to talk about. crab trap was full at least!

We were out on the west van shoreline yesterday with a couple other boats for about 3 hours. beautiful day on the water as it was flat calm and sunny. Bad news is no fish. used a combo of spoons and herring but not a sniff. Didn't see either of the other boats into anything either. I'm hoping the gulf islands fishery starts to get going here soon as there skunk days aren't fun to talk about. crab trap was full at least!

South end of Bowen fishery should be starting to pick up soon as well!

Let's hope the Bowen fishery does pick up. I haven't fished Bowen this winter as my buddies who have are not having much success yet. I hear some fish have been picked up a little further up Howe Sound recently. Bit of a longer run for most boats but may be worth it on a full day

Got a report that a few fish are being taken around Bowen in the past few days. Those pesky dolphins have buggered off from what I hear

A friend of mine visited his buddy on Gambier and fished around there this past weekend.

They saw lots of dolphins still around.

A friend of mine visited his buddy on Gambier and fished around there this past weekend.

They saw lots of dolphins still around.

Fish are still on structure at the moment. Some big fish taken in Upper Howe Sound. Vancouver Harbour has been kicking out fish right off the bottom. The bite windows are longer with fish being taken well into the Ebb. Fish bait on your higher lines. Headed out now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee FM still not a sticky yet, you think they could squeeze it in with the other 6...

Boat is almost ready to go, see you guy's soon.

Back