The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

In places like Nootka Sound you’ll see that about 40/50% of the vehicles at the launch are Washington State or other US state tags. So in fairness, many US fishers are getting US fish north of the border, and that’s ok......but let your buddies know Canadians aren’t taking all the US bound fish. You guys are getting plenty of them. And thanks for your hatchery programs. We appreciate them.

Whenever I launch at Gold River I would say its more like 75 % friends from south of the boarder.

Save your money retire is Sask or Manitoba.

The wife and I thought for years we’d retire on the island but the last couple years we’ve changed our mind. Waaayyyyy to many people out there for me,, awesome place to visit and enjoy some fishing and the beauty of the water but not a place for me to live. We have been seriously looking at Sask just over the border from where we are at so we can still enjoy our friends and family yet opens up a whole new world of hunting and fishing opportunities and no farther drive really to head west. Real estate is a lot more affordable. I could sell my home buy a nice retirement place cash and put a nice bundle away for retirement to enjoy.

Each to their own for sure but I’m not into crowds at all. I love all of this country and I’d rather be more in the center of it and be able to travel it easier than being stuck in one end of it. Again don’t get me wrong I love the west coast and the ocean and it’s beauty but there is a lot of beauty in all this great nation to enjoy.

I'm in full agreement with you walleyes, My Bro just bought a great house/used as cottage at Diefenbaker for $5000 , yes $5000 , 1/4 ach , 60 yr old two story house (might be torn down to rebuild), with 8 yr old triple car garage. This place is about 15 min from the best Walleye , Perch, Jack fishing in Canada (oh and by the way world record 42 lb rainbows) . Only 60 people in town, Riverhurst , but its got a garage and a bar/rest .. I don't like the crowds (but there is a Prov park 15 min away that will provide that in the summer if I want it) so it fits me fine and with all the money saved I will be living in Arizona or Mexico in the Winter. Love the Island but Just not the same and Hell can't fish year round so bye bye .
Maybe we'll be neighbors lol

Ziggy-- you give too much credit to the politicians .. They can change with elections. But the one constant is the unseen bureaucrat in Vancouver and Ottawa that makes the decision for the minister. We should be doing like Alaska-- the Governor changes and his senior bureaucrats go with him.

I’d punt Rebecca Reid, She was a ****** biologist back in the day and now only cares about her own political agenda.

Oh man, I've heard a lot of "screw the Liberals, bring back the Conservatives" talk... Give your head a shake if you think that's the right solution... We really want to bring back the science muzzling Conservatives into power? I'm gutted, no ******* doubt. This is the worst case scenario. BUT, to consider bringing back a Government that absolutely destroyed any protection for the fish and water ways that support these fish... really? The Govt that decided to muzzle scientists that were showing the harm that was occurring to our wild stocks of fish... really? I know this Government can go fu<k themselves with this type of decision, but in all reality... as tough as it is to say... something needed to be done. And it's the first time DFO has ever put the fish first. Yes, I realize that we need to up the enforcement on the rivers and ensure their proposed plan is actually adhered to. This is the FIRST TIME the government has ever made a decision that truly helps a stock of fish that we all care deeply about. Yes, they aren't listening to the science that shows we have a minute impact, BUT, we still have an impact, and they are protecting the fish from that in the best possible way they can, for the FISH. I'll reiterate, I don't agree with the decision... But the silver lining is this is the first time ever! EVER! that DFO is truly protecting fish... WHy we can't keep hatchery fish blows my fu<king mind, but...

I don't know... Obviously going to get some negative comments about this, but I'm just trying to find a silver lining, and really, I think at least we can be happy that they are trying to do something proactive before the stocks completely collapses. Still... fu<k the Liberals, but fu<k the Conservatives too, they wouldn't have done anything... at least the Libs are trying something.

Quotes

“The science is clear: Pacific Chinook salmon are in a critical state. Without immediate action, this species could be lost forever. As the Minister responsible for the health and sustainability of our oceans, I want to ensure that we do not knowingly put these stocks on a path to extinction. The measures I am announcing today, as part of a comprehensive plan to protect wild Pacific salmon, are significant, necessary and difficult. They are critical to the future of Chinook stocks and to the futures of Indigenous and coastal communities who rely on them for sustenance, jobs and economic prosperity.”

The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

Hmmmmm? If the science is clear ? Then how the hell did the recent herring slaughter happen when the Federal govt knew easily by then that this shutdown was happening ? How in the world can anyone trust the science when they take away the main food source of a species in trouble and a month later come out with this?

Conspiracy Theory
This was all done, just to reduce the resistance to the pipeline project , starving out the marine industry and communities.

Hmm, every day it looks more plausible to me.

The little ferret in Ottawa needs to go back to teaching kindergarten ...... Lets make sure of that in the fall

Oh man, I've heard a lot of "screw the Liberals, bring back the Conservatives" talk... Give your head a shake if you think that's the right solution... We really want to bring back the science muzzling Conservatives into power? I'm gutted, no ******* doubt. This is the worst case scenario. BUT, to consider bringing back a Government that absolutely destroyed any protection for the fish and water ways that support these fish... really? The Govt that decided to muzzle scientists that were showing the harm that was occurring to our wild stocks of fish... really? I know this Government can go fu<k themselves with this type of decision, but in all reality... as tough as it is to say... something needed to be done. And it's the first time DFO has ever put the fish first. Yes, I realize that we need to up the enforcement on the rivers and ensure their proposed plan is actually adhered to. This is the FIRST TIME the government has ever made a decision that truly helps a stock of fish that we all care deeply about. Yes, they aren't listening to the science that shows we have a minute impact, BUT, we still have an impact, and they are protecting the fish from that in the best possible way they can, for the FISH. I'll reiterate, I don't agree with the decision... But the silver lining is this is the first time ever! EVER! that DFO is truly protecting fish... WHy we can't keep hatchery fish blows my fu<king mind, but...

I don't know... Obviously going to get some negative comments about this, but I'm just trying to find a silver lining, and really, I think at least we can be happy that they are trying to do something proactive before the stocks completely collapses. Still... fu<k the Liberals, but fu<k the Conservatives too, they wouldn't have done anything... at least the Libs are trying something.
I agree 100%. It sucks but it has to be done and they did it for all groups. Legally they have to shut commercial and rec to close the river to netting so that’s what they did. I am willing to make this sacrifice so my sons can still fish with their kids like I have with my father and grand father before. As long as they are serious about it which I feel they finally are.

Ha....you really think any Fraser fish will be protected? People need to wake up, the rec portion of the pie will just be given to another user group.
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

Oolichans are also in horrible shape.....wonder if any of the sturgeon guys can check the size of the grids these guys are running?
https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...cuments/eulachon-fraser-river-population.html

Oh and there is still gill nets out way up on the Fraser....
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/UpperFraser/UMFOpenTimes-eng.htm

And again...DFO should be to blame for this, not the FN

Last edited:
@Stoisy - You make good points. We have learned enough from the previous regimes in Ottawa that they show no care about the resources and people in the west. The idea that we change the ruling party and things automatically get nice and rosy is doomed. What have we, as the coastal residents of this province, have done to keep the politicians accountable? I don't think we have been as organized in one front as the NGOs are in pushing their agenda and getting results.

"this is the first time ever! EVER! that DFO is truly protecting fish"

How is that "protection"? the minimal FSC fishery for the FNs in the river is just to keep the door open to raping the resource before they hit the spawning grounds. Have you ever witnessed the natives netting and how they treat the resource?
I also don't see how this "protection" supports the ongoing habitat destruction that's been happening all through the province by their corporate donors. To me, this is just a political reaction to the NGOs to pave the way for the approval of the pipeline.

BTW, did you hear that the pipeline approval decision got delayed again by a month??
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/0...t-extends-trans-mountain-deadline-to-june-18/

I agree 100%. It sucks but it has to be done and they did it for all groups. Legally they have to shut commercial and rec to close the river to netting so that’s what they did. I am willing to make this sacrifice so my sons can still fish with their kids like I have with my father and grand father before. As long as they are serious about it which I feel they finally are.
Do me a favor and take a trip up river in early June. Things can be very "ceremonial" in the open daylight.

Yup,, keep voting them in and expect a different outcome it will happen honest.

You keep voting in the Libs and the Greens and in 10 years the FN will be the only ones eating wild caught fish,, I guarantee it, it’s not far off that now.

These idiots are catering to the ENGO special interest groups what do they have to do to prove it to you. Look at where it’s going, they want more, they want all fishing stopped, then all hunting, then your off the water completely. Wake The **** Up !!

@BCRingo OK, "truly" protecting fish might be a strong word - but they are protecting them... Of course the in river monitoring will be a HUGE issue, and one that we should take upon ourselves to help montior. Anyone lucky enough to live on or near the Fraser should be diligent in recording and reporting any netting activity on the river. Social media is quite powerful as we've seen the ENGOs using it in their favor. We can do the same to ensure netting is kept to a minimum. I'm sure there are enough people living near the river that can help with this. Citizen science is growing, citizen monitoring can also do the same? Again, I don't ******* know what to really think or feel right now... just trying to find the silver lining.

Oh and thanks a lot of the Gov for waiting until hours before the long weekend to officially shut it down... Just really wanted to **** us.

Seriously? So pandering to FN, enviro wack jobs, and allowing activist scientist to dictate policy is OK with you? BC voters seem to never be able able to connect the dots between voting Liberal and NDP and all the screwed up taxes and policies that make thing difficult and stupid expensive here.

You wake up @walleyes ... You think we'll any fu<king fish left if the Conservatives are in charge? At least the ENGOs care about the environment, which, OH, is where the FU<KING salmon live!!!! Destroy that, you destroy it all... but hey.... whatever..... only need to catch fish today and tomorrow, not next year, or the year after.

It’s so hard to feel for or give a **** about what’s happening out there some days it truly is. Some of you truly deserve what your getting.

Not really but thanks for that.

Well WTF spring,, how do you deal with people that stand up for these groups and then complain about the outcome, what else is one to do, feel sorry for them. It’s hard man it really is.

Do some really believe the NGO's care about the fish? WTH Sorry some are fooled to thinking that way. Its NOTHING more than a business to them. All about money NOT species. Don't come back with BS at me, spend that energy and time to do some serious research on most known NGO groups. Even on here when Mr Suzuki came here to BC in his jet to get his springs before the closure last year.

HM

I would be with you, I would be happy to stop salmon fishing for a few years if it was part of a meaningful plan to turn the plight of the salmon around. An indication of this would be an investment of minimum $4.5B into fixing salmon habitat. I mean they had that to buy a useless pipeline so salmon should be worth much more, right? Until I see that I know these so called salmon rescue measures are BS, not worth a penny and much less worth sacrificing our rec fishery. I am afraid we are giving up our passion for nothing, a lot of angler run salmon restoration projects will fall apart and the situation of the salmon will actually get worse.

Back