The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

I dont think its all doom and gloom. As I interpet it, these regs still allow for C&R fishing, just no retention (looks like from Hardy eastward down and around to past Port Renfrew - ouch, big area). So you cant keep a few fish over the next few months, big deal. If it truly is that big of a deal you could always tow your boat west. We all know how much our sector gives back to enhancement efforts etc, but crying about the right to kill a few fish makes us look greedy and tarnishes all the good weve already done for these fish. So were giving them a break this summer in good faith, maybe it helps and maybe it doesnt. Maybe they all die in nets in the river anyways, or the sealions get them. I think its worth a try. We can all agree that the stocks are in decline, both in numbers and in average size, so something drastic had to be done.

Worth noting that the commercial sector takes a big hit too, as their WCVI and NBC troll fishery are significantly delayed (until Aug 20).

It’s a big deal to the guides locally that will loose their full time a year jobs

It’s a big deal to the guides locally that will loose their full time a year jobs
I think thats a bit dramatic. Its unlikely that nobody books a charter in the next 4 months. Lots of people enjoy C&R fishing, or even just a day on the water. Bottomfish will get pounded hard, no doubt. The local charter guys will suffer losses, no doubt. I dont guide locally so its not really my place to say to what extent it will affect business, but a lot of the local guides head to the west coast for some of those months anyways. I sympathize with the local guides for sure, this decision certainly isnt going to earn them MORE money, but I wouldnt say the industry is completely dead for the next 4 months.

Bamfield will be booming this summer.

At least there will be lots of fish in those fn nets in the Fraser
According to the notice summary or whatever their fisheries will be delayed as well. Yes we all know how that goes but officially on the record they wont be netting any fish before the rest of us.

I think thats a bit dramatic. Its unlikely that nobody books a charter in the next 4 months. Lots of people enjoy C&R fishing, or even just a day on the water. Bottomfish will get pounded hard, no doubt. The local charter guys will suffer losses, no doubt. I dont guide locally so its not really my place to say to what extent it will affect business, but a lot of the local guides head to the west coast for some of those months anyways. I sympathize with the local guides for sure, this decision certainly isnt going to earn them MORE money, but I wouldnt say the industry is completely dead for the next 4 months.

No bottom fish in Vancouver, chinook is bread and butter. Guides will be laid off in the Vancouver scene.

Yeah a nice day go prawn, crab and C&R but business will slow.

Here is one of the aholes responsible for this mess......
I thought he was going to be on our side. I guess puppets can’t do too much, it’s Justin the puppet master that takes more blame.

In closing I’ll say this... at least they screwed us all across the board. Rec/FN/sporties all got the shaft.
If they relocate some pinnipeds up north to feed the polar bears they must actually make some progress on the predation front. Still need to drop some serious cash into enhancement for long term gains.

I declare BC a Federal Liberal non retention area! Lol. I think we should all send some of the gas money we save, to the campaigns of the Ministers opponents

I know for fact that local guides or not will be hurting, not only from the Chinook restrictions , our economy as well! A lot of your neighbors to the east are not making their annual trips to the coast now due to our economic state and record unemployment and now restrictions on what they can keep on top of that.

Fb
I thought he was going to be on our side. I guess puppets can’t do too much, it’s Justin the puppet master that takes more blame.

In closing I’ll say this... at least they screwed us all across the board. Rec/FN/sporties all got the shaft.
If they relocate some pinnipeds up north to feed the polar bears they must actually make some progress on the predation front. Still need to drop some serious cash into enhancement for long term gains.

FN did not get the shaft. The problem ones do not agree that they are under any obligation to comply and if you think that some of the lower Fraser Bands will play along think again.!

This is political and
Reallocating plain and simple.

In this BIG save the Fraser River Chinook for the Orca's and Natives, let get the Seal, Sea Lion, Herring Fishery and FISH FARMS under control!!
Both play a significant part in the overall decline in the Salmon Fishery!!

Fb

FN did not get the shaft. The problem ones do not agree that they are under any obligation to comply and if you think that some of the lower Fraser Bands will play along think again.!

This is political and
Reallocating plain and simple.
JC, thanks for your response. That may be true about FN, but the commercial sector is still a big one and that affect a lot of people’s livelihoods over the next few months. I’m sorry to those of them that it hurts more than me, but I’m kinda glad that it wasn’t just us. I would be 10x more pissed if it was for sale in the grocery stores.
I LOVE fishing, but like I told my wife “it’s bad for me but it’s much worse for many others.”

Don’t get me wrong. The Government has **** the bed for years, and are overlooking some huge factors responsible for the lack of salmon. I hope they wake up.

This does almost nothing to help these salmon stalks. All it does is delay the slaughter until after July 14.

Before we were allowed 30 fish per person x 4 family members = 120 fish allowed. but each year I would catch 20 to 25 fish. Now we are only allowed 40 fish. I will just concentrate my efforts from July 15 to September 15 to catch these 20-25 fish. I will be killing more terminal fish in my area, creating more pressure on local stalks.

The natives and commercial fisherman will still fish after July 14 business as usual.

AS FOR AS ENHANCEMENT

They fail to mention the $55 million for Salmon Enhancement was pledged over the next five years. Thats $11 million per year.

Keep in mind they just gave Loblaws Corporation $12 million to buy energy efficient refrigerators.

I have read the stat the sport fishing industry in BC is a $1.1 billion dollar a year industry x 5% GST is $55 million per year in revenue to the government. Not to mention the PST, income tax, Carbon Tax, hotel tax, fishing licence revenue etc etc they get from us.

It is absolutely disgusting how little they have put back into enhancement.

This does almost nothing to help these salmon stalks. All it does is delay the slaughter until after July 14.

Before we were allowed 30 fish per person x 4 family members = 120 fish allowed. but each year I would catch 20 to 25 fish. Now we are only allowed 40 fish. I will just concentrate my efforts from July 15 to September 15 to catch these 20-25 fish. I will be killing more terminal fish in my area, creating more pressure on local stalks.

The natives and commercial fisherman will still fish after July 14 business as usual.

AS FOR AS ENHANCEMENT

They fail to mention the $55 million for Salmon Enhancement was pledged over the next five years. Thats $11 million per year.

Keep in mind they just gave Loblaws Corporation $12 million to buy energy efficient refrigerators.

I have read the stat the sport fishing industry in BC is a $1.1 billion dollar a year industry x 5% GST is $55 million per year in revenue to the government. Not to mention the PST, income tax, Carbon Tax, hotel tax, fishing licence revenue etc etc they get from us.

Yup, and compare that to Washington State's plan of $1.5billion to help their fishery. It's all lip service. Probably Washington State as well. It's all carefully crafted ********. ******** baffles brains as they say.

What is the number of SRKW or Fraser Chinooks needed to make these regs go away? Or the amount of money needed to get some of the FNs off the Fraser and into a new source of employment? How many years will it take? I was planning to move to the Island upon retirement. Even without a bigger boat I was thinking I could fish a few winter days and lots in April, May, June, September, and October. Maybe volunteer at a stream or two. Coach some of your spazzy kids. New regs put me back to what I can do now without moving or retiring. I keep reading the Island is full anyway. **** day.
I have most of my eggs in Fishmyster's water quality basket, and the rest in an upswing in ocean survival conditions, because I don't think any political party wants to fix this as long as Misty MacDuffie and Suzuki keep blowing the right people.

What is the number of SRKW or Fraser Chinooks needed to make these regs go away? Or the amount of money needed to get some of the FNs off the Fraser and into a new source of employment? How many years will it take? I was planning to move to the Island upon retirement. Even without a bigger boat I was thinking I could fish a few winter days and lots in April, May, June, September, and October. Maybe volunteer at a stream or two. Coach some of your spazzy kids. New regs put me back to what I can do now without moving or retiring. I keep reading the Island is full anyway. **** day.
I have most of my eggs in Fishmyster's water quality basket, and the rest in an upswing in ocean survival conditions, because I don't think any political party wants to fix this as long as Misty MacDuffie and Suzuki keep blowing the right people.

Save your money retire is Sask or Manitoba.

The wife and I thought for years we’d retire on the island but the last couple years we’ve changed our mind. Waaayyyyy to many people out there for me,, awesome place to visit and enjoy some fishing and the beauty of the water but not a place for me to live. We have been seriously looking at Sask just over the border from where we are at so we can still enjoy our friends and family yet opens up a whole new world of hunting and fishing opportunities and no farther drive really to head west. Real estate is a lot more affordable. I could sell my home buy a nice retirement place cash and put a nice bundle away for retirement to enjoy.

Each to their own for sure but I’m not into crowds at all. I love all of this country and I’d rather be more in the center of it and be able to travel it easier than being stuck in one end of it. Again don’t get me wrong I love the west coast and the ocean and it’s beauty but there is a lot of beauty in all this great nation to enjoy.

So last year I had reduced limits in Haida until July 12th.. This year I can hit them hard all year....

Why????? Because this is all about a pipeline. The groups trying to stop the pipeline are trying to use the whales now. This will help put that flame out and take the wind out of their sails.

Its time for BC to take their province back from these special interests groups.

Remember the area being shut down is the same area that gave Liberals a majority government.

Your future is in your hands. The Nanaimo byelection is coming up. Start there & send a message. Then come October pick a party who wont give into these special interests groups....

Saw the north coast proposals. Believe it will be 1/2 till July 10 again. But this year Rupert will
Be open but 1/2 all season but no compete closures.

Quotes

“The science is clear: Pacific Chinook salmon are in a critical state. Without immediate action, this species could be lost forever. As the Minister responsible for the health and sustainability of our oceans, I want to ensure that we do not knowingly put these stocks on a path to extinction. The measures I am announcing today, as part of a comprehensive plan to protect wild Pacific salmon, are significant, necessary and difficult. They are critical to the future of Chinook stocks and to the futures of Indigenous and coastal communities who rely on them for sustenance, jobs and economic prosperity.”

The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

Hmmmmm? If the science is clear ? Then how the hell did the recent herring slaughter happen when the Federal govt knew easily by then that this shutdown was happening ? How in the world can anyone trust the science when they take away the main food source of a species in trouble and a month later come out with this?

Its a discrace that the liberal govnment has knee capped the rec Industry. Thought it would be one hatchery a day inside,unbelievable this will do mass damage to the fishing rec sector,the BC fishing industry as a whole. Sad news. My wife and I will never vote liberal as long as We live,fookin Pierre’s idiot child is a complete moron and These fookin engo ******* have to go, I sure they did to much acid in the 60s because their heads are up their asses. They don’t give a fook about jobs and industries that families have relied on for generations,the professional protesters of the world,flying around in jets and driving to pipeline protests in their cars what a bunch of ****** hypocrites. Makes me puke!!

Back