The No-Fall Zone

Sharphooks

Last June I was explaining to one of my brothers the trepidations I sometimes feel when planning and executing a solo expedition in a small boat when it includes long distance running in some very exposed places. I mentioned that just the simple act of anchoring while alone during a storm on a bucking deck with nobody around for many miles can lead to a bad outcome. We’re both skiers. We both do some very steep stuff in places where you’re completely exposed and you just can’t afford to make a mistake.

Skiers call it the no-fall zone.

As I was trying to explain the anchoring drill and the other various things solo boaters end up doing in places where you don’t want to make a mistake, he offered the following:

You mean you’re in the no-fall zone?

That struck me. Yes, we’re in the no-fall zone, I conceded.

So, not sure if you guys followed the saga of the two young firemen in Florida who just yesterday, after a 6 day search by a large contingent of Coast Guard, Navy and private vessels combing a huge piece of ocean, we’re finally pronounced goners, probably having capsized in a storm last Friday after launching from Cape Canaveral in a single-engine CC ?

The saga was painful to follow....thousands of people following and commenting on a thread started by one of the fireman’s brother-in-laws on a marine web site in which he asked boaters to keep their eyes open for the missing boat. Hundreds responded, some posting advice, most including suggestions along the lines of coulda, woulda, shoulda, and everything in between with regards to what those two unlucky firemen could and should have done to properly prepare for the trip they took

They were in the no-fall zone, and unfortunately, they fell.

I learned quite a bit from some of the responders, ex-CG guys, ex-SARS guys. It would not be distasteful or show disrespect to those two lost firemen to say that their demise caused lots of people following the story to review the way they currently conduct themselves while out on the water and how they’re probably re-evaluating their preparedness and will probably do things a bit differently in the future.

That includes me.

I learned about PLB’s, EPIRBS (the pluses and minuses) the newer tech of IN-Reach and VHF hand-helds that have both DSC and GPS capabilities and why this could be so important to have as back up. None of these things I own but I will be purchasing several of the items shortly, no doubt

IN-Reach: During part of my trip this summer I was out of touch for a two week period——zero internet, zero cell, just VHF

Meanwhile, back at the ranch I was having some serious business issues and nobody could get in touch with me. One of my daughters was trying to put out the brush-fires but needed critical information from me.

My GF returned from her EU trip in early August, heard what was going on with my business stuff from m,y daughter, learned that nobody had heard from me for almost two weeks, and put a call into the Prince Rupert CG who, God bless their souls, finally tracked me down

Long story short, I lost about $ 4,000 on the business melt-down—-I had trucks at the border full of frozen bait which were denied entry into Canada due to lapsed export permits...I blew town for my North Coast expedition and didn’t leave a clean trail.

Once I got back to a cell signal and trouble-shot the snafu, I quickly realized that the amount of $$ I lost could easily have covered the costs of both satellite phone hardware and the subscription to use it.

Or a hand-held unit called IN-Reach which would have allowed me to send and receive texts....not just for business and for letting people know my whereabouts but just in case I ended up falling in the no-fall zone

And I learned another bread-crumb trail trick from a poster who had worked with the Coast Goard—-label everything on your boat with your name and your boat name. That includes PFD’s, coolers, and anything on deck that floats, an item that someone can perhaps find after a capsizing event and draw a conclusion about your drift pattern

Back in Florida they found one of the fireman’s tackle bags. There was no name on it but the guy’s wife identified it. Yes, it was my husband’s.

That’s all they’ve found since last Friday from the boat that carried those two unfortunate souls who fell where they shouldn’t have fallen.

Last edited:
AIS transceiver is best—- both transmits and receives AIS information.

When I purchased my boat I removed the AIS thinking it would just be a distraction. I had sophisticated radar tech, that’s all I would need for collision avoidance.

Big mistake.

This summer I spent multiple days in impenetrable fog. When making a nav move, it sure would have been nice to say....

“Rambler, this is Orca Scout. I’m overtaking my starboard to your port with the intent of entering Kwakshua Channel once safely past you. Please acknowledge. Over

Instead, not having AIS, I was forced to say....”boat approx. 1/4 mile off Experiment Point, this is Orca Scout...blah blah blah....”

Last edited:
The Garmin InReach is a great tool. I have the mini and use it all throughout Washington, BC, and Alaska. It is also great as you can communicate inReach to inReach. My buddy was circumnavigating Vancouver Island and then meeting up with us at the Central Coast and I was able to tell him via Inreach where to meet us since our plans had changed.

If you spend time a lot of time out of cell range in rugged country the in reach is a must. I have two contacts on file and I give them exact plans of all my trips. If my plans change I can simply message them the deviations. Whether 80 miles up an inlet looking at grizz, 80 miles offshore chasing tuna or hiking solo in a Steelhead canyon. I’ve got the in reach on me and in a dry bag. Huge peace of mind.

This summer I spent multiple days in impenetrable fog. When making a nav move, it sure would have been nice to say....

“Rambler, this is Orca Scout. I’m overtaking my starboard to your port with the intent of entering Kwakshua Channel once safely past you. Please acknowledge. Over

Instead, not having AIS, I was forced to say....”boat approx. 1/4 mile off Experiment Point, this is Orca Scout...blah blah blah....”

Nice original post. I agree with the sentiments and respect the back country stuff big time, you won’t find me in the snowy no fall zone!! I’ll be under the chairlift :)

If I might add just a couple of tweaks,
when talking on the radio, try to keep things as simple as possible. “............. I intend to overtake you on your port side, over”
Saying The words Port and Starboard in the same transmission as well as the destination and everything else can muddy the waters of understanding, especially if someone’s radio isn’t great.

Also, when using AIS to identify vessels you want to contact on radio, be very careful in areas with more than one target in them. Mishaps have taken place all over the world with radio arrangements made and agreed to with the wrong vessels. Even if you know for sure it’s the vessel you want to contact, they may be answering while assuming you are a different contact from their end. It’s happened to very seasoned people.

Just a couple things to keep in mind.

Much respect as always Sharphooks!

Very helpful information, Tug Captain: radio protocol is not everyone's strong point, me at the top of the list. I spent a lot of time listening to commercial traffic during heavy fog days this summer....a definite education on what they said, when and why they said it, and it made me feel like a jerk for pulling AIS off my boat a few years ago. Big help posting that kind of experienced guidance...thanks!

Back