The next step in the FN war

Yup, this is the beginning of FN controlling sports fishing and hunting on territory they claim to be theirs.

Will be carrying on business as usual.
Lots of chest puffing by the FN. Will.be exactly the same as last year.

They want us off the water so there is no eyes on the water and seeing what is actually going on.

Not so sure about the business as usual Whitebuck. I think FN Canada wide are feeling quite empowered and feel this is the time to get all the stuff that has been put aside, done. I believe they are serious and other bands will follow suit.

watching the first 10 mins is like watching paint dry...
I havn't watched the whole segment yet either but the part I did watch I assure you there is more going on than watching paint dry. At the 38 to 40 minute mark the gentleman describes how they don't set nets in anothers fishing hole as they have rules they have followed for thousands of years basically implying they have used nets for that long when history just does not support that asertion. Earlier around the 29 minute mark he describes a bunch of line and a lure hanging of a steelhead in his net confirming the impacts of nets on Steelhead and Chinook as those net caught fish will not survive. I support their food fishery but why not employ fishing wheels instead of catching the last fish? On the other hand as long as there are stocks of concern their points of catch and release fishing on those stocks are pretty strong from a legal perspective.

I havn't watched the whole segment yet either but the part I did watch I assure you there is more going on than watching paint dry. At the 38 to 40 minute mark the gentleman describes how they don't set nets in anothers fishing hole as they have rules they have followed for thousands of years basically implying they have used nets for that long when history just does not support that asertion. Earlier around the 29 minute mark he describes a bunch of line and a lure hanging of a steelhead in his net confirming the impacts of nets on Steelhead and Chinook as those net caught fish will not survive. I support their food fishery but why not employ fishing wheels instead of catching the last fish? On the other hand as long as there are stocks of concern their points of catch and release fishing on those stocks are pretty strong from a legal perspective.

Yah getting later into the video is much better just the first 10 mins is hard to watch lol

Good questions, terrin.

Fishwheels have very specific requirements in order to be effective: deep, turbid and swift water with currents >~3kts in order to spin the wheel. Canyons, basically. That narrows that choice to only certain areas.

As long as one does not have weak stocks comingling with target stocks - gillnets are an effective harvest method. Larger rivers like the Fraser with extended sockeye migration timing with weak stocks - makes management of that fishing method very challenging. The timing windows where "at-risk" weak stocks are not present is very narrow.

Other rivers may not have those same challenges... depends...

Agent hits on the key shortcomings of fish wheels but another problem, on the Fraser River at least, is that individual bands have traditional fishing sites passed down through families. These sites were defended vigorously against other bands, many of which are not suitable for large, cumbersome fish wheels. I don't believe these individual bands, some of which not so long ago were deadly enemies, would be happy fishing together on a wheel, then sharing the catch.

Back