The latest on Prawn Traps Found

Hot Rods

With a little effort we managed to track down the "original" owner of the prawn traps we found off Neck Point on Monday. We cleaned up the float and were able to read the phone number. His traps were stolen last year in Alberni. He has never prawned on this side. Now, wouldn't it be nice if the guy who lost them over here called to claim them.

Picked this up in deeper water in the saanich inlet drifting around two days ago. No visible number on it else i would call. Not all missing traps are stolen.

Obvious floating line was on the surface and looks like it got sheared off by a passing boat.

Attachments

• loose trap float.jpg
    loose trap float.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 748
Phone number of original owner still on the "stolen" gear ? Guess one shouldn't assume thieves are all that smart - lol.... or another scenario, the gear lifted/drifted /lost and someone hooked on to it/salvaged it. Not seeing a number on it, used it.

Good on you for being tenacious at locating an owner, whether stolen or not...

I agree most lost traps probably just float away. I've recovered several for people over the past few years. However, this set went missing in Alberni and showed up a year later off Nanaimo with another trap added to the string. Like to assume the best but my guess is whoever took it, then lost it over here, has probably already replaced it compliments of some other local angler. Really sucks when you can't drop the gear and go visit the Dingy Dock or go home for a nap. And the thieves are not always who you would expect. Last year, the North Van guys, caught on camera, several guys in a half million dollar boat, stealing their prawn traps.

I agree most lost traps probably just float away. I've recovered several for people over the past few years. However, this set went missing in Alberni and showed up a year later off Nanaimo with another trap added to the string. Like to assume the best but my guess is whoever took it, then lost it over here, has probably already replaced it compliments of some other local angler. Really sucks when you can't drop the gear and go visit the Dingy Dock or go home for a nap. And the thieves are not always who you would expect. Last year, the North Van guys, caught on camera, several guys in a half million dollar boat, stealing their prawn traps.

Damn. In the US that would be a great way to get shot. Here, the worst we will do is toss our empties at them and flip 'em the bird.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

told by an RCMP officer years ago, after a suffering burglary:
"Don't waste your time trying to understand the mind of a criminal."

I recently recovered a barely floating bouy , several miles off grief pt. With the heavy algae growth, most of the number were there but missing a couple. I spent some time at it, and found the owner. He had put trap down first week of Aug off Sechelt and I recovered 46 miles away , in the 3rd week of November, he was a happy camper with that phone call. somehow it missed getting into someones' prop.

there is gear still out there, I recently spotted , barely floating 4 sets of gear, but was unable to snag all of them, looked like crab gear one off east pt, mid channel, one off pt partridge by buoy SA, one seven miles above entrance ( got that one and have returned to a happy camper) and last one below Pt upwood. bouys were level with water, and in deep water , drifting. so unless calm, u can't see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some King Tides during Xmas-- going to be a bunch more traps floating if people are not careful

Back