The Joys of Boating - see: https://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-joys-of-boating.html

If ever there was a need to send out a Pan Pan or even a MAYDAY on 16, that was it . Why didnt you??

and if you checked to see if your cooling water discharge port was plugged - and that you attempted to unplug it - was not mentioned. Neither were any of the things one normally checks if ones engine is overheating - or if you did that - or what the problem actually turned out to be - or how one might avoid this dangerous situation - going forward. Might be worth a warning/education to other boaters to post that. RIGHT?

Last edited:
and if you checked to see if your cooling water discharge port was plugged - and that you attempted to unplug it - was not mentioned. Neither were any of the things one normally checks if ones engine is overheating - or if you did that - or what the problem actually turned out to be - or how one might avoid this dangerous situation - going forward. Might be worth a warning/education to other boaters to post that. RIGHT?

The original problem turned out to be that both water pumps kicked the bucket at the same time. Something highly unlikely that can't be planned for, yet true. And in this case, there is no above water line discharge. With the current problem, my mechanic will let me know.

Thanks! DC. So it was an inboard w/o above waterline discharge, then? Seems strange that both would kick the bucket at the same time w/o any notice. Were they clogged w eelgrass or some other debris?

Thanks! DC. So it was an inboard w/o above waterline discharge, then? Seems strange that both would kick the bucket at the same time w/o any notice. Were they clogged w eelgrass or some other debris?

Yes, that seems pretty unlikely, but it was the case. Insurance works that a mechanic determines what the problem has been, then insurance will pay for everything else, other than the failed item, in this case, two water pumps. There is also a heat exchanger to a bus heater - a useful thing about in-boards, but it was okay. I don't believe there was any clogging with debris, just mechanical failure.

Thanks again DC! I did - some years ago - suck up some eelgrass into the cooling intake on an inboard/outboard. Came out w a bit of help from me gently tugging at it. Definitely something to watch out for - and to check periodically (esp. when dealing w overheating issues) the cooling water discharge. Another issue that I have happen - is the rubber impeller burn out over time - esp. if you get some sand/mud sucked up into it. I did notice the slow rise in temperature - and the slow decrease in discharge output - in time enough to get a replacement impeller. Now I keep a spare impeller around w spare spark plugs. I also keep a spare prop onboard along w a new cotter pin - and a few tools.

Back