The Honourable Gail Shea, P.C., M.P.

Striper Sniper

I received this today from a commercial fishing friend of mine. He did not mention where it came from but I am pretty sure it is for real.............:([V]

Speaking Notes for
>
> The Honourable Gail Shea, P.C., M.P.
> Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
>
> at the Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance's Reception: "Grow with Us"
>
> The Crowne Plaza
> Ottawa, ON
> November 3, 2009
>
> Good evening ladies and gentlemen.
>
> Welcome to the nation's capital. While we are many miles from the places
> where farmed fish and seafood are produced, we are lucky to enjoy the
> country's best products here this evening.
>
> It is my sincere pleasure to join you for this celebration of Canada's
> aquaculture industry.
>
> Worth almost $1 billion a year, your industry is truly something to be
> proud of.
>
> Fish farms are cropping up all over the country. From Hermitage Bay,
> Newfoundland to Campbell River, British Columbia, harvesters are farming
> fresh, high quality seafood products year-round.
>
> While Canadian aquaculture may seem like a small player on the global
> stage, the industry is rapidly growing. It is at the leading edge of
> technology.
>
> I see your industry as one poised to be an economic driver of this
> country.
> Of course, future success will depend on our joint efforts. I am pleased
> to
> work with the Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance in the months ahead.
>
> We certainly have the key ingredients for further growth - an extensive
> coastline, the right water temperatures and a proud fishing history. Let
> us
> not forget the innovative technologies that are emerging, our government's
> support, and committed organizations like yours. Organizations that share
> a
> passion for Canada's success as a fish-producing nation. Organizations
> that
> are concerned about the health of our environment. Organizations, like
> this
> one, that give voice to the industry's potential.
>
> Tonight's gathering is an excellent forum to discuss that potential
> growth.
>
> While we are enjoying delicious Canadian seafood, I want to hear from
> growers. Let us talk about what it will take to encourage the industry.
>
> Together, we can envision a future of Canadian farmed fish and seafood on
> grocery store shelves and plates around the world.

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

I received this today from a commercial fishing friend of mine. He did not mention where it came from but I am pretty sure it is for real.............:([V]

Speaking Notes for
>
> The Honourable Gail Shea, P.C., M.P.
> Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
>
> at the Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance's Reception: "Grow with Us"
>
> The Crowne Plaza
> Ottawa, ON
> November 3, 2009
>
> Good evening ladies and gentlemen.
>
> Welcome to the nation's capital. While we are many miles from the places
> where farmed fish and seafood are produced, we are lucky to enjoy the
> country's best products here this evening.
>
> It is my sincere pleasure to join you for this celebration of Canada's
> aquaculture industry.
>
> Worth almost $1 billion a year, your industry is truly something to be
> proud of.
>
> Fish farms are cropping up all over the country. From Hermitage Bay,
> Newfoundland to Campbell River, British Columbia, harvesters are farming
> fresh, high quality seafood products year-round.
>
> While Canadian aquaculture may seem like a small player on the global
> stage, the industry is rapidly growing. It is at the leading edge of
> technology.
>
> I see your industry as one poised to be an economic driver of this
> country.
> Of course, future success will depend on our joint efforts. I am pleased
> to
> work with the Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance in the months ahead.
>
> We certainly have the key ingredients for further growth - an extensive
> coastline, the right water temperatures and a proud fishing history. Let
> us
> not forget the innovative technologies that are emerging, our government's
> support, and committed organizations like yours. Organizations that share
> a
> passion for Canada's success as a fish-producing nation. Organizations
> that
> are concerned about the health of our environment. Organizations, like
> this
> one, that give voice to the industry's potential.
>
> Tonight's gathering is an excellent forum to discuss that potential
> growth.
>
> While we are enjoying delicious Canadian seafood, I want to hear from
> growers. Let us talk about what it will take to encourage the industry.
>
> Together, we can envision a future of Canadian farmed fish and seafood on
> grocery store shelves and plates around the world.

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

If this is true she should be hung by the nuts along with the RDG.

After all the words you've typed in your sorry defense of this filthy, environmentally-devastating, 'Foreign-owned' industry, and all you can come up with Sockeye is - "WHY?"

Net-pen business = 'Sunset Industry'

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Why?

Why.... because I have nothing better to do today and I have read all the crap you put on this site here it is simple for you.

DFO's job is to manage and conserve "Wild" fish. Not to cave to the political/financial influence of Norwegian investors.

One would think that if Marine Harvest gave a sh*t about the wild salmon in BC they would have started to move the farms off the migration route of our wild salmon. Anything less is just crap. And no I don't give a rat’s butt if it costs them some money to move them.

Sorry Fisher, but I believe you have been misslead or have an incorrect opinion on what DFO's "mandate" is. Because the regulation and promotion of aquacultre is DFO's responsibility under the fisheries Act, they have the responsibility to maintain and promote sound managment for the preservation of aquaculture. That is what Morton won in her court case for the fish farm industry: Federal protection.

Why should MH move their legally licensed business to satisfy a few kooks who have not provided any reason for them to do so beyond opinion, bad science and mathematical models? Haven't you been reading the articles that Agent provides on the developing Missing Sockeye saga? It is not the farms at all, but the environment in the Strait of Georgia and the Fraser that caused the issues.

Sorry Fisher, but I believe you have been misslead or have an incorrect opinion on what DFO's "mandate" is. Because the regulation and promotion of aquacultre is DFO's responsibility under the fisheries Act, they have the responsibility to maintain and promote sound managment for the preservation of aquaculture. That is what Morton won in her court case for the fish farm industry: Federal protection.
That is correct, but forgot to mention… DFO’s primary “mandate” is to make Canada the #2 “aquaculture” producer in the world. That DFO sees “no” value in “wild” salmon. Morton's court case was about getting DFO to do their job protecting “wild” salmon, per Canadian law. Plus, you failed to mention DFO is refusing to release records and also would not let “their” scientist participate in the last conference, which did recommend the farms be moved out off the migration route. I believe you are going to see that one go to court.
quote: Why should MH move their legally licensed business to satisfy a few kooks who have not provided any reason for them to do so beyond opinion, bad science and mathematical models? Haven't you been reading the articles that Agent provides on the developing Missing Sockeye saga? It is not the farms at all, but the environment in the Strait of Georgia and the Fraser that caused the issues.
I don’t believe there is much in this that is correct? If one believes the environment in either of those is what “caused” the issues, they need to take a closer look at both! They left the Fraser and nothing known at this time has anything to do with their demise. Is the environment changing, yes! Did anything with the environment changes “wipe out” the Fraser Sockeye… NO! The Fraser and Strait’s environment has been changing for years. Is it, and should it be a concern? Absolutely; however, those changes, including global warming, climate change and water temperatures have been proven “not” the reason.

As far as I know, the only unanswered questions are:
1. Were the Sockeye infected with disease?
2. Before they left the Fraser?
3. From the fish farms?
4. Or, were they just flat-out eaten alive from the sea lice due to the fish farms?

If DFO and MH released their sea lice and disease records to the scientists, some would be answered? So, I quess the real question is, who is hiding what and why? I believe you are going to see that in court, also!

Why should MH move their farms… how about “it is the right thing to do”?

Uh Charlie, Mortons case was to get Aquaculture under Fed control, cause she thought that then they would rescue the wild salmon from its clutches. What she failed to understand is once in the DFO mandate, Aquaculture now has the same protection as does the wild fisheries. Boy she really screwed up with this one. Probably while all the other NGO's don't want to have anything to do with her.

There the only unanswered questions in your mind Charlie. Mainly because you have already determined who the guilty party is. Now you will just hammer away until somehow it becomes you hope the reality.

Uh Charlie, Mortons case was to get Aquaculture under Fed control, cause she thought that then they would rescue the wild salmon from its clutches. What she failed to understand is once in the DFO mandate, Aquaculture now has the same protection as does the wild fisheries. Boy she really screwed up with this one. Probably while all the other NGO's don't want to have anything to do with her.
quote:
As far as I know, the only unanswered questions are:
1. Were the Sockeye infected with disease?
2. Before they left the Fraser?
3. From the fish farms?
4. Or, were they just flat-out eaten alive from the sea lice due to the fish farms?

If DFO and MH released their sea lice and disease records to the scientists, some would be answered? So, I quess the real question is, who is hiding what and why? I believe you are going to see that in court, also!
Why should MH move their farms… how about “it is the right thing to do”?
What part of that did "you" miss?

Wow Sockeyefry I am amazed at your honesty for once!!!

When you wrote the following;
quote: Mainly because you have already determined who the guilty party is. Now you will just hammer away until somehow it becomes you hope the reality.
you were talking about yourself right?

I commend you for being forthright in describing how YOU think and act regarding net pen fish farms. Thanks for accurately describing yourself to us all!!!:D

Long live wild salmon!!!

Why?

I smell a troll!Does this forum have an ignore feature?
Dave

Sorry Fisher, but I believe you have been misslead or have an incorrect opinion on what DFO's "mandate" is. Because the regulation and promotion of aquacultre is DFO's responsibility under the fisheries Act,
"Promotion" of aquaculture - WRONG, sockeyefry, "regulation", yes.

Promotion is very much *NOT* part of DFO's legislated mandate, although starting with Yves Bastion - they made it so (ILLEGIALLY) over the past 15 years or so.

Those corrupt bureaucrats should be charged with treason, as far as I'm concerned...

X2, Agent.

The Canadian Constitution makes it very clear that DFO's mandate is to "conserve and protect" the fishery resources of Canada. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say anything about the "promotion" of aquaculture or any other fishery. That is a political policy decision subject to DFO's primary constitutional mandate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Sockeyefry, but Judge Hinkson made it clear in his decision on the Morton vs. BC MAL case that DFO could not legally divest it's responsibility to "manage and regulate" aquaculture in the ocean to the BC government because ocean aquaculture is a fishery and as such subject to the Fisheries Act of Canada. He did not consider the "promotion" of aquaculture in the oceans in making his decision.

DFO, Ag Canada, Industry and Trade Canada the Province or any agency can develop a policy to promote aquaculture or any other industry, but DFO is charged by the Constitution to first and foremost ensure that any policy is not at the expense of other Canadian marine fisheries resources.

The Office of the Auditor General also made it abundantly clear time and again along that DFO has failed to adequately "conserve and protect" the wild salmon resources and fishery in their policies to regulate/promote salmon farming. The AG's office didn't use the word treason, but I, too, believe it could be applied.

This political mandate to "promote" was discussed in other threads, but if anyone wants references, I will find them again.

Does CWD mean anything to anybody? This is the result when man takes wild animals such as elk and deer and tries to farm them. This was done under wraps by the Alberta govt. and sprung onto the Alberta population after which the crooks made their money and ran. The poor suckers were left holding the sh#tbag when the news broke. Unfortunately the chronic wasting disease broke out in the deer population and we are left to deal with mess. We do not know exactly the problems that may arise from fish farming but sure as sh#t smells there will be a certain group that will disappear with money in their hands and leaving the people of BC holding a stinky sh#t bag and definitely no govt interest in helping, and the perpetrators long gone.

IMG_1445.jpg

Yep, promote was the wrong word.

However, the fishery Act does state that DFO now must preserve and protect fisheries. The Hinkson decison has determined that aquaculture is a fishery, which now must be protected and preserved by the fisheries act.

Like you said Cuttle:

"...but DFO is charged by the Constitution to first and foremost ensure that any policy is not at the expense of other Canadian marine fisheries resources."

Therefore any policy made regarding wild salmon must not be at the expense of aquaculture.

So a policy to preserve wild salmon cannot force salmon farms to be in any way reduced or otherwise impacted.

Yep Morton did you guys a big favour.

So Sockeyefry, will that be the extent of your industry's representations to the DFO regarding their new aquaculture regulatory regime? Or might there be a serious side of your considerations of this turn of events?

OTOH, now that DFO is constitutionally mandated to protect and preserve ocean aquaculture, if they do as good a job with that as they have done with so many other fisheries in Canada, I would be having trouble sleeping right now if I was a salmon farmer. This might just be another impetus for the industry to move to land based recirc and out of the salt chuck.

Hey Sockey by the same token DFO shouldn't preserve and protect aquaculture at the expense of wild salmon. Unfortunately, as we all know they are currently favouring aquaculture over wild salmon right now - but many of us here hope to change that!

If things continue to get worse for wild salmon we can force DFO to enforce Species at Risk (SARA) legislation that will favour wild salmon over aquaculture.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Back