The BC gov’t screwing up the NHL hub city has got me fired up

redram99

I cannot believe we couldnt figure something out.
I guess we didn’t need those jobs or any of the associated revenue.

Somehow the lure of televised only, summer hockey played in empty arenas has no appeal to me. I’m a hockey fan but I’m glad the Public Health Officer told the NHL to follow the rules or hit the road. The overall health of a public who have sacrificed a lot for the last few months is much more valuable than a handful of jobs. I’m surprised the players aren’t concerned about how easily their employers are willing to bend the rules that are in place for their health and safety.
Does it really matter when you watch it on TV where the empty arena is?

Estimated 120 jobs and $20M revenue. No projection of financial impacts to taxpayers if things went off the rail so it’s difficult to argue the opportunity loss.
They started the soccer leagues in some European countries but its been mainly revenue for TV broadcasters and that’s pretty much it. Can’t imagine people going to pubs and restaurants in numbers to watch these televised games so I suppose those 120 jobs were mostly in the logistics.

You could tell that the news was our a few days ago when all the media was talking about the NHL not happy with BC covid measures that the deal had fell though.

Honestly that and who does not expect Toronto to get it.

As much as I enjoy watching a hockey game, imo the season is over. Perhaps later this year it could restart in a limited fashion, but the way Covid 19 is running rampant in the USA, I don't desire them here just for a game.

Once again it is clear the NHL are fools in the presence of immeasurable riches and no clue what to do with it. They are unworthy caretakers of the sport.

The screwup isn't about Canadian cities being chosen or not chosen, nor about jobs. They had a golden opportunity to expose hockey to a more or less captive audience and they blew it. They could have played an Olympic/World Cup style tournament over a month or less and made a killing on TV revenues, it would have been done by now just as other sports are reappearing. But no, they stubbornly insisted on this bloated mess of 24 teams making the playoffs. FFS is this a Sunday School picnic where every kiddie wins a ribbon? Complete inability of both league and players association to pivot in the face of forces far greater than they and come up with something that works. Now we'll have August hockey on ****** high summer ice and every other sport crowding the media space to boot (except baseball, they're even more dysfunctional than hockey). To paraphrase Norman Vincent Peale, "You can't change the world if you can't change your mind."

I doubt the playoffs will get done.

Either greed, the players not wanting to play or an outbreak will kill it

the NHL is nuts, I'm very happy BC stuck to it's guns, imho the nhl are risking next season by doing this, Tampa has to close it's practice facility due to covid cases, Vegas is a **** show now with hotel employees (especially in the food sections that are open) testing positive, I love hockey but won't watch a single game if they attempt this, just brutal timing.

Back