The 2014 Bamfield Tuna Shootout!

I believe that last year you offered free ice and moorage for guys that slept aboard. I know you had fewer entries, but will that be the case for this year too?

No. Ice was an issue last year. Due to no commercial ice producer in Bamfield we are trying to find ways to have a healthy supply of ice and keep the prices low. We will be working on bringing totes of salt ice out before the event.

Moorage will be up to entrants, we can help if need be but ideally guys can find their own places to alleviate the workload. Seabeam, the westside government dock and Mckay Bay are the best bets.

More adequate Diesel supplies for the 15+ diesels in the fleet is also being addressed.

For those looking for accommodations for the shootout, the Seabeam will be open this year and for those interested you should book early as rooms are already booked for a few boats for the week!

For those looking for accommodations for the shootout, the Seabeam will be open this year and for those interested you should book early as rooms are already booked for a few boats for the week!

X2 it will be great having the beam up and rocking. There is also talk of a pre derby pig roast.... Mills is fully booked or close to for the derby so don't wait too long.

The Hardy Boys are all booked up, staying at Mill's again and have moorage dialled in. We will be there the last four days and hope to be standing there with the BC Tough crew holding a big fat cheque come Saturday night.

Can't wait!

Kelly

Anything new with the shootout? How many tickets are left? Just under a month and thought we should dust off the thread and see if there are any updates.

Final details are still being hammered out (weigh in, opening BBQ, awards ceremony etc)! When the detailed schedule is finalized it will be emailed out and posted on here. There are still a few tickets available i'll try to confirm this number but I believe its less than 5.

The date is almost here! Anyone who wants the info package please PM your email address and ill fire it off tomorrow (captains if I have your email already you are already on the list)

Just to confirm as a few have asked. Just like last year there will be no derby fishing on the Friday (12th). Friday will be an opening meet and greet BBQ at Seabeam Lodge at 5pm. This will give everyone 8 full days of fishing. Tight lines.

The date is almost here! Anyone who wants the info package please PM your email address and ill fire it off tomorrow (captains if I have your email already you are already on the list)

Just to confirm as a few have asked. Just like last year there will be no derby fishing on the Friday (12th). Friday will be an opening meet and greet BBQ at Seabeam Lodge at 5pm. This will give everyone 8 full days of fishing. Tight lines.

If you could send me the info pkg please , I believe you still have my e-mail but will PM it to you again. Thx

Started picking up sponsor prizes and they are wicked. Big thanks to Harbour Chandler for the HDS 10! I might have to buy a derby ticket just to get into the draw. Harbour Chandler also has an awesome selection of Tuna gear in stock, I picked up some last minute stuff to try out.

Hey Tuna Nuts,

I am putting the feelers out to see what kind of interests everyone would have in having their tuna professionally cut at the derby this year? We have a professional cutter that would come down to the derby and do all cutting of the tuna at a per fish price. You would have to deal with it after that, seal it yourself, take it to Mill's and have Jerry do it, however you want it finished.

I am just waiting to get a per fish price from him as I know this could be the make or break on how many guys use his services but I thought I would get the ball rolling to see who may be interested.

Let me know so I can pass the word to see if it is worth his while to make the trip.

Cheers,

Bump!

Come on guys, some of you out there must be interested? Spread the word to anyone you know who may not be on this forum. Just need two know if it's going to be worth his while to bring down cutting table, knives, sharpeners, stuff like that.

Who's going to want to cut 20+ fish at 7pm when you could be drinking a cold beer?

I have had a couple people already contact me privately.

Spread the word please.

Bump!

Come on guys, some of you out there must be interested? Spread the word to anyone you know who may not be on this forum. Just need two know if it's going to be worth his while to bring down cutting table, knives, sharpeners, stuff like that.

Who's going to want to cut 20+ fish at 7pm when you could be drinking a cold beer?

Spread the word please.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure our crew would be interested.

Bump!

Spread the word please.

Wade the Sculpin crew have our own system the deal with processing and transporting fish. The fish are kept whole head off on salt ice then transported home to be cut and packed.

This seems to work for us to get the best product and that is our game to have premium fish for winter. The derby is just a bit of fun in between.

Fortunately we are a bit closer to home than your crew for transporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather looks stellar on many days for the start of this thing. We are starting to plan an overnighter already. My boats not very big so Todd might have to sleep in the kill bag on deck :p:).

Hey fellas,

Wade , As mentioned in Text message if we are lucky enough to get into some Tuna we would happily have someone cut them up for us, would be such a treat and with coming in after long days and clean up to do on the boat and preparation for the next day it does not leave alot of time.

Shoot out plan for us:
Leaving Vancouver Harbour in the afternoon on Friday. 2 days stop in Vicotria for a Stag... oh boy.. hit the ocean Sunday and head offshore for an overnighter (weather permitting) and hit the canyons.. if Sunday overnight 'R does not work out we will be heading for bamfield and spending the night (for some local intel) and head out Monday AM and then back to ukee to drop off 1st crew and hopefully back for weight in on Tuesday morning with 4 biggest fish.

Ill be in bamfield kicking around on Tuesday waiting for Last year Pail-Lolo crew to arrive Wednesday afternoon and Thursday back out.

Pretty excited.

does anyone else have plans at this point for an overnight on Sunday?

Mac.
604 312 2078

The weather looks stellar on many days for the start of this thing. We are starting to plan an overnighter already. My boats not very big so Todd might have to sleep in the kill bag on deck :p:).

San Mateo is thinking of over night Saturday. I will talk to you Friday at the beam.

Back