Ten Lessons in Buying a Better Beater Boat

Odin Gray

So I finally bought and took possession of this "new to me" low hour 2004 Trophy 2052.
Here are some lessons learned in its inaugural trip to Kitimat/Douglas Channel:

1. The ferry from Vancouver Island charges about $250 each way for a 55 foot vehicle/trailer. I always wondered why the VanIsl fishermen didn't fish the North Coast more.

2. The sales guy at the "reputable" dealership doesn't really give a crap about service or answering emails etc once the sale is confirmed.

3. Make sure that the marine toilet is working properly before someone does a major number in it expecting it to flush.

4. Actually try the down riggers during the sea trial to make sure they are operational.

5. Sea trial , sea trial, sea trial. Engine alarms are annoying.

6. Even though the canvas and eisenglass may be in really good condition, the zippers deteriorate faster. Set up the entire roof, side and back curtains to make sure every thing is functional.

7. Know how to start a carburated mercruiser motor that is prone to carb flooding at start up.

8. Think of the extremely lucky day that the starter motor fails while still in the marina when the day was to include a 50+ km round trip to a favourite fishing area.

9. Remember to use fenders even if the fuel station has tires around the docking area. Tar stains are hard to get out of fibreglass.

But, hey.... I did catch a nice 17# wild spring.

20190822_194020990_iOS.jpg

Can you explain how to do #7?
Ya, rookie mistake. I pumped the throttle control too much I think. We started back to the marina on the kicker which was about 20 km away. We made it about 5 km on the kicker when I tried the "just turn the key" method and it worked.

Starter motor fried two days later.

Ya, rookie mistake. I pumped the throttle control too much I think. We started back to the marina on the kicker which was about 20 km away. We made it about 5 km on the kicker when I tried the "just turn the key" method and it worked.

Starter motor fried two days later.
To be fair I actually used to give mine two quick shots first. Sorry ;)

FWIW, I had that exact boat years ago. It was a 4.3l TKS mercruiser inboard. The TKS stands for “turn key start”. No other action required. Personally I never had a issue starting that motor while I owned it. Not sure if this is your first boat but if so the learning curve is steep, after the curve flattens things get better and more enjoyable. But there will always be challenges...Good luck..

My previous boat was powered by an Etec 90. Still a learning curve...

My salmon fishing and ocean boating experience has all been a learning curve over the past 10 years. Books, YouTube, and this forum. Two years ago I hired a guide to show me a thing or two. While it was a fun time, he didn't teach me anything I didn't already kinda know (except anchoring for halibut... still got Hali-skunked though).

It took me a few lost cannon balls to figure the down rigger thing out the first time I went out 10 yrs ago. LOL

Halibut are still outsmarting me even though I am twice as smart as them.

This was my first trip using cut plug herring and anchovies.

I'll try again later in the summer. Thanks for all the tips, advice, and encouragement.

Back