Tell Premier Horgan to put wild salmon first.

fogged in

https://www.watershed-watch.org/

We have a moment of opportunity right now to make things better for B.C.’s wild salmon, and you can help by taking action now.
Premier Horgan’s government has taken some positive steps for wild salmon—like the provincial collaboration with First Nations to move fish farms out of the Broughton Archipelago.
We have also seen some serious missteps, like when Premier Horgan appointed a Wild Salmon Advisory Council dominated by fishing industry representatives, with no independent fisheries scientists and no conservation advocacy groups.
Last Friday, the industry-dominated council released their final recommendations and Premier Horgan is now deciding which of these recommendations he is going to accept and put into a “made-in-B.C. wild salmon strategy.”
The council’s recommendations for protecting and restoring salmon habitat are excellent and we need to encourage the Premier to put serious muscle behind them. But other recommendations are dangerously ill-informed--like boosting the old-school commercial fishing industry with no mention of preventing overfishing by moving to more sustainable fishing methods; or boosting artificial salmon production in hatcheries despite the growing evidence that hatchery operations often harm wild fish and should only be used as a last resort.
We need to tell the Premier and our elected representatives to put wild salmon and science first, and we only have a few days to do it before key decisions are made. Can you spare one minute to send a letter now?

Thanks for joining us in standing up for wild salmon!

Sincerely,

Aaron Hill

fogged in have you read the form letter? what is it missing? why did they leave out 1.5? ARE YOU AGAINST 1.5???

"Wild salmon are extremely important to me and I am writing to you today with both appreciation and concern regarding your government’s approach to developing a “made-in-B.C. wild salmon strategy.” I commend you for taking the initiative to protect and rebuild B.C.’s wild salmon. Your efforts to reduce the impacts of salmon farming on wild fish were welcome first steps.
However, your Wild Salmon Advisory Council’s final recommendations need to be taken with caution. The council was heavily dominated by representatives from the commercial and charter fishing industries, with no representation from academic scientists or conservation advocacy groups, and very little representation from interior communities, and it shows.
The council’s recommended strategies (1.1 through 1.4) for protecting and restoring salmon habitat are excellent. These are areas of provincial responsibility and I implore you to put substantial resources into delivering on these recommendations. I agree with the council that restoring fish passage on crown land, and through flood control structures in the Fraser valley, should be high priorities. I also agree that better enforcement of existing laws (like the Water Sustainability Act), passage of stronger laws to protect salmon habitat and better coordination across provincial ministries should be part of your plan. "

I wouldn't do anything Watershed Watch says honestly. You go help them and they will put your butt under the bus. Oh wait they are doing that right now...

Present MCC Steering Committee:

• Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – BC Chapter
  • David Suzuki Foundation
  • Living Oceans Society
  • Pacific Streamkeepers Federation
  • Raincoast Conservation Foundation
  • SkeenaWild Conservation Trust
  • Steelhead Society of British Columbia
  • Watershed Watch Salmon Society
  • World Wildlife Fund Canada

I hear you!
But do you realize our butt is "already under the bus"
Getting Fish Farms out of our waters is one step to recovery.
There are many other steps between us and getting this fishery back to where it was 20 years ago.
In my opinion, we sports fishers are not going to like what is coming, but if you think you are going to stop it with a few guys on this form you are dreaming.

If you think your going to get fishery back with a fishery advisor that is 100 percent against catch and release fisheries your really underestimating that group.

Beware of Trojan horses from NGO groups.

https://www.watershed-watch.org/

We have a moment of opportunity right now to make things better for B.C.’s wild salmon, and you can help by taking action now.
Premier Horgan’s government has taken some positive steps for wild salmon—like the provincial collaboration with First Nations to move fish farms out of the Broughton Archipelago.
We have also seen some serious missteps, like when Premier Horgan appointed a Wild Salmon Advisory Council dominated by fishing industry representatives, with no independent fisheries scientists and no conservation advocacy groups.
Last Friday, the industry-dominated council released their final recommendations and Premier Horgan is now deciding which of these recommendations he is going to accept and put into a “made-in-B.C. wild salmon strategy.”
The council’s recommendations for protecting and restoring salmon habitat are excellent and we need to encourage the Premier to put serious muscle behind them. But other recommendations are dangerously ill-informed--like boosting the old-school commercial fishing industry with no mention of preventing overfishing by moving to more sustainable fishing methods; or boosting artificial salmon production in hatcheries despite the growing evidence that hatchery operations often harm wild fish and should only be used as a last resort.
We need to tell the Premier and our elected representatives to put wild salmon and science first, and we only have a few days to do it before key decisions are made. Can you spare one minute to send a letter now?

Thanks for joining us in standing up for wild salmon!

Sincerely,

Aaron Hill

Here is what I sent in to WSAC. I see lots of positive things in this: https://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2019/03/report-made-in-bc-wild-salmon-strategy.html.

D

I hear you!
But do you realize our butt is "already under the bus"
Getting Fish Farms out of our waters is one step to recovery.
There are many other steps between us and getting this fishery back to where it was 20 years ago.
In my opinion, we sports fishers are not going to like what is coming, but if you think you are going to stop it with a few guys on this form you are dreaming.
I think you guys have to be very careful whom you are tossing your support behind. These organizations are all working tirelessly with paid staff to end your fishery. If you don't believe me, read this and think twice about sleeping with the devil

53573004_2174876855930259_7159585421574275072_n.jpg

Check out the list of organizations that are supporters...they run in packs like wolves...your fishery is the next victim.

None of these groups are proposing any alternatives as far as replacing the jobs that would be lost and the revenue the Province will lose with mass closures. Revenue I might add that allows the Province to fund many of their programs in BC! Any solution they come up with has to be with all user groups still actively fishing. If that means bigger investment by government then so be it. And I say it’s about time, the fishing industry has given and given for over 100 years here in BC, it’s time she was repaid for her kindness! But closing it all down, not gonna happen, not in an election year, and not with the Liberals trailing in polls now. BC will likely decide this years Federal Election. Shutting down our recreational fishing season could very easily cost the Liberals the election and they know it. Thank goodness the Liberals can’t avoid scandals, because now they need us to survive

But the American anti-oilsands funding effort didn’t stop at encouraging opposition to oil pipelines. The Victoria-based Dogwood Initiative received millions of dollars from Tides Canada to run get-out-the-vote campaigns in the 2017 B.C. provincial election, including deploying a throng of campaign workers in the riding of Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver. After his election, the B.C. government would be in the hands of an NDP/Green alliance bent on fighting the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

Back