Telegraph Cove

Very nice fish, well done, however perhaps your reprimand of us "lazy fishermen" should be re-thought. I hope you were not trying to make friends here.

Nothing like a little condescension to get the old guys blood boiling!!! LOL Stirring up a hornets nest is a lot of fun and adventuresome too-long as you don't need a bit of a helping hand once -in-awhile!

Nice fish, Buckethead - you did well during a fairly slow period. Note that I haven't seen anyone say there are "no fish" up here. As you pointed out, while there are fewer fish than we traditionally have seen at this time of the year, one has to get creative in terms of lures, depths, locations, speeds, and all of the other myriad of variables that turn fishing into catching. You and your crew obviously hit the right combinations last Sunday and Monday - well done! That some of us haven't found the right combination (yet) doesn't make us lazy IMHO.

I had a member pm me last night asking for bottom fishing information for the Telegraph Cove area. As I think this is pertinent to the area reports I will post it here. I have no problem sharing areas I fish for Halibut, so I would prefer to share the information for other members rather than sending it in a PM.

Most of the areas are not a secret. The backside of Malcolm Island is probably the best known and heaviest fished. I have found decent numbers, but not much size when I've worked that area. Stubbs Island, well known for producing big Hali. I avoid Stubbs though as I just got tired of the amount of gear you lose there. It is a tackle graveyard, and probably one of the snaggiest bottoms you can possibly find. Mitchel Bay, more well known for Salmon, but I've picked up Hali there as well. The SE end of Hanson Island, not big numbers but I've found good size Hali there. There is of course George's Bank as well, but that is a bit of a run from Telegraph Cove. I am far from an expert on the area, but I have no problem sharing information that I do not think will harm the resource if posted on the Internet.

The member also requested Ling & Yellow Eye locations in the area. I will not post those on the Internet as the populations are resident and can be easily over fished. I will PM him some locations for Ling. I do not target Red Snapper. I will have to check the current RCA's in the area as I know some of the locations I used to fish are now closed, and I'm not sure if new ones have been added since I was there last.

This is not current fishing info from this season, but most Hali locations remain consistent over time. I hope the information is useful to anyone heading to the area. Good luck up there.

Last edited:
Check out the Sunds lodge website.
Looks like they are starting to get a few decent fish.
Try Lewis point for lings. We used to drift life greenlings thru the 100' water there.

I had a member pm me last night asking for bottom fishing information for the Telegraph Cove area. As I think this is pertinent to the area reports I will post it here. I have no problem sharing areas I fish for Halibut, so I would prefer to share the information for other members rather than sending it in a PM.

Most of the areas are not a secret. The backside of Malcolm Island is probably the best known and heaviest fished. I have found decent numbers, but not much size when I've worked that area. Stubbs Island, well known for producing big Hali. I avoid Stubbs though as I just got tired of the amount of gear you lose there. It is a tackle graveyard, and probably one of the snaggiest bottoms you can possibly find. Mitchel Bay, more well known for Salmon, but I've picked up Hali there as well. The SE end of Hanson Island, not big numbers but I've found good size Hali there. There is of course George's Bank as well, but that is a bit of a run from Telegraph Cove. I am far from an expert on the area, but I have no problem sharing information that I do not think will harm the resource if posted on the Internet.

The member also requested Ling & Yellow Eye locations in the area. I will not post those on the Internet as the populations are resident and can be easily over fished. I will PM him some locations for Ling. I do not target Red Snapper. I will have to check the current RCA's in the area as I know some of the locations I used to fish are now closed, and I'm not sure if new ones have been added since I was there last.

This is not current fishing info from this season, but most Hali locations remain consistent over time. I hope the information is useful to anyone heading to the area. Good luck up there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Stubbs Is.
has been a RCA for yrs..

You can fish the east side of Stubbs but as mentioned above I don't think it would be worth it with the tide and snaggy bottom.
Neighbour picked up a nice 27 lb hali yesterday off the legal side of Stubbs during the morning slack yesterday. You do need to be careful over there. Don't want to use a spreader bar. A mud raker type of rig with a very short leader is preferable - but nothing is going to work if the current is running.

Also for guys not that familiar with the area use the Weynton Passage current table to determine the time for the slack tides around Stubbs Island and that vicinity. The high and low tides in the tide tables are totally different than the actual slack tides. If you go by the tide tables you will be way off the times you want to be bottom fishing.

image.jpg image.jpg
Fished telegraph cove for the first time last Sunday the 10th and Monday the 11th.. We asked a few guys at the government dock at alert bay where we might find springs.. Back-side of Malcolm was what we were told so tried Bere point first, struck out there, moved south to lizard/donegal. Only fished the evening on the Sunday and managed to pick up an 8 pound white spring and a scrappy 18 red. Headed back there Monday morning, tea party from lizard to donegal, slow morning but managed one nice 16.. Decided to try Hali but just lost all our gear on the rocks with the tide rips. Headed back to the tea party and fished hard! We threw it all at them and our efforts paid off.. Anchovy was the ticket, uv purple haze teaser, green and glo flasher. Finished Sunday with a 25 and 26er. Pics are from Monday, too many sociables on Sunday to operate a camera lol. Didn't see any other fish caught either day.. Just a friendly reminder to those who have fished these historically epic fisheries this time of year.. Quit being lazy fishermen... Just because you've always done good on the same gear there the last 15 years on the SAME TACK at the same depth, doesn't mean it'll work this year. When the fishing is good you can throw a sock down there and catch fish, when it slows, guys say "there are just no fish, it's terrible". There are always fish out there and you can get your limits with a solid effort.
a View attachment 28591View attachment 28592View attachment 28593View attachment 28594View attachment 28595
We also did good on those two days , July 9,10 seemed like a few fish were hanging around but after that it was horrible! Doesn't mean you guys are rock stars! I know many guides who work damn hard in that area, and for you to call them lazy is way out of line!

I have been fishing this area steady for the last 10 years and this is the hardest year to catch fish! We put in 12 hour days running every hook on the boat and running up to four rods to cover all depths and we were striking out big time!

Seemed like you would find a pocket of fish here and there and may get lucky to get a strike during the morning or evening!

Our total for 10 days of hard fishing Is 9 springs, 4 pinks, I coho and 2 chum and three halibut. Pretty brutal for my standards for three people fishing 12-14 hours a day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 25
View attachment 28626 View attachment 28627
We also did good on those two days , July 9,10 seemed like a few fish were hanging around but after that it was horrible! Doesn't mean you guys are rock stars! I know many guides who work damn hard in that area, and for you to call them lazy is way out of line!

I have been fishing this area steady for the last 10 years and this is the hardest year to catch fish! We put in 12 hour days running every hook on the boat and running up to four rods to cover all depths and we were striking out big time!

Seemed like you would find a pocket of fish here and there and may get lucky to get a strike during the morning or evening!

Our total for 10 days of hard fishing Is 9 springs, 4 pinks, I coho and 2 chum and three halibut. Pretty brutal for my standards for three people fishing 12-14 hours a day!
Great report thanks for sharing! A ten day period offers a more realistic picture of what is happening as opposed to a two day get lucky weekend warrior experience.

Wow - that's a great haul under the circumstances, Tidal Shot. Wish I could report similar results. I've pretty much run out of stuff in my tackle box to get wet. I'm heading home for a week for a bit of a family reunion but will be back up at the end of the month for another month. Hopefully things will improve.

Wow - that's a great haul under the circumstances, Tidal Shot. Wish I could report similar results. I've pretty much run out of stuff in my tackle box to get wet. I'm heading home for a week for a bit of a family reunion but will be back up at the end of the month for another month. Hopefully things will improve.

Hope your next trip is better Bruce! Next year if I'm back that way we should meet up for a cold one and exchange some stories! Ill try to let you know what's happening up there, my friend lives at telegraph and pretty much fishes every other day, he can let you know what's happening!

I will be heading up that way for the week as well, there's gotta be fish around......sounds like we got to work hard for pay off!
No pain no gain!!

I had to come home for a week for a bit of a family reunion and am hoping things pick up a lot as I'm heading back up next week.

I just arrived today sounds like Port Hardy has been good so hopefully the fish move down here. I'll give you an update over the next few days.

It's tough fishing up here right now...I'm far from an expert, but this is the slowest I've seen it. I haven't seen many fish coming in so I don't think I'm the only one. We did get a 23lb spring day one at 7am at donegal, but that's where the good news ends. Other than that we had a few undersized spring that's it. Prawning and crabbing have been ok, but salmon fishing has been tough. Tried for halibut but its blown up in the afternoon making it difficult. One more day of fishing in telegraph then back to reality for another year and it looks windy tomorrow. Hopefully it picks up for those coming this way.

Back