Telegraph Cove

I'm likely going June 26-29. Any chance you could post a report while there? I stay at Alder Bay. Good luck!

going to be at alder bay from June 14 - 21st..anyone else going to be around.. ??

Just returned from Alder Bay this afternoon. Some Hali's being caught and we heard of a few springs but we didn't get into any salmon. Our biggest Hali was 85 lb gutted !!!!!! [:p]

Pics to follow.

Was out yesterday for a break in trip to make sure everything worked, including me[:p]

A couple small springs, a ling and a RC for a couple hours. Lots of bait around. Fished the back side of Malcolm. Was going to go to Hardy, but the fog had my fishing partner a little worried for her first trip of the year, so we stuck close to home.

Next weekend we will hit it hard.

There is a few fish around, but they are not here in #'s yet.

Good luck to all who are coming up

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

nice catch, lazoman!
we may be heading up to Alder Bay from Powell River by boat as early as tomorrow evening or tuesday morning... hoping to do a little exploring and some bottom fishing in the area.
It'll be our first shot at bottom fishing in that area, and will only be there for 1 or 2 nights... we have experience with halibut on the westcoast of the island...

any general tips for that area that you could give us... any help is greatly appreciated!

Larry

Hey larry

Try off Lizzard Pt., between Bere Pt and Malcolm Pt. or anywhere along the backside of Malcolm Island. There is lots of Hali's all along there. Just look for the small pinnacles that come up from the deeper water to 150-200' and bounce those using what you use on the west coast.

Also in front of Cluxewe River to the Hardy airport is another good spot.

You own a Hewescraft right?? You can reach any of those spots in no time with your boat.

if you need any more info, give me a shout and I will try to help

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, SS...
You're right, I visit this forum periodically... I do run a 220 Searunner.

I may well give you a shout when we get away... I've checked with Alder Resort... from what guys are saying here it looks like a good place for moorage??
...atleast until we can get abit of a look around the area.

Larry

Just returned from Alder Bay with Lazomans Group got a couple Halis definately not hot right right now you have to work for them. Had a good time at Alder Bay its set up nice. Showers etc beatiful view. The moorage is different depends on the size of your boat. I have a 24' Wellcraft and the fingers of the dock are only about 18-20 ft long. Its a open moorage not protected from the wind. We went into Telegraph Cove for gas and there Marina is set up real nice. There is no fuel at Alder Bay either. Its about a 10 minute run to Telegraph. They have all the amenities at Telegraph, beer, store, pub,restaurant just not sure about the camping. Good Luck have fun.

Thanks for the heads up, "CC.."...
Protected moorage is important for us since we would be overnighting in the boat... and, the availability of fuel/amenities are also important for this trip... especially the Pub :)
We'll be travelling up by boat, so camping is not a concern this time...

THKS

How are you doing CC ? I got all my vacuum packing done last night. Still waiting to get some pics from the group. Do you have any good ones?

Have been going there for the last 20 years fathers day weekend staying in one of the houses on the boardwalk. Nice to have everything at your disposal. Three boats in our group. Will report while there.

Larry

There is good moorage and gas and all the amenities in Port McNeill as well and it is only another 15-20 min up the coast.

Give me a shout when you are in and I will see if I can come down to the dock and visit. The wife would like to see the bigger SR.....hint, hint;)

250-956-2447 H

CC

Were you on the backside of Malcolm at Bere Pt on Sat moring?? I was in the blue Hewescraft. Over all how did you guys make out?? Other than the hali's of course.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

SS

Are you from the area and are you going to be around telegraph cove june 20-26 like to get a report closer to that time.

BEACON
quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Larry

There is good moorage and gas and all the amenities in Port McNeill as well and it is only another 15-20 min up the coast.

Give me a shout when you are in and I will see if I can come down to the dock and visit. The wife would like to see the bigger SR.....hint, hint;)

250-956-2447 H

CC

Were you on the backside of Malcolm at Bere Pt on Sat moring?? I was in the blue Hewescraft. Over all how did you guys make out?? Other than the hali's of course.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Hey SS,
Just a heads up... our run over your way is now on hold.
However, we will be travelling up that way and will give you a shout when we get to Port McNeill...

Larry

Originally posted by Beacon

SS

Are you from the area and are you going to be around telegraph cove june 20-26 like to get a report closer to that time.

BEACON
Beacon

I live in port McNeill, so give me shout later and I will post an update.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Backatit, our group were all first timers to the area as well last week. We caught hali at Georges Bank, between Lizard point and Donegal point on the backside of Malmcolm Island, Mitchell Bay, and south end of Hanson Island. Thanks to all on the forum for the input we collected before our trip. Also thanks to the discussion on Harpooning, I put one together and it really came in handy on the big one, one vote for 'through the guts' :D

Back