Telegraph Cove? Any Good in May?

Saltwater Cowboy

Hey all I'm thinking of heading to Telegraph COve in May for some fisihng for Hali's and Springs!! Anybody fished there the last few years at this time of year? I've heard good things from some people and mixed from others! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Hey BOC didn't you go up there last year and have some luck?

SW COWBOY

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

every year near the end of may, my dad and i and a few others stay at telegraph. the fishing seems to change quite a bit year to year; last year, we got a 131, an 85 and a couple chickens, but the few years before that i'm pretty sure we got nothing or close to it. however, the hali fishing all around blackfish sound and up through hardy i've heard was quite good. halibut populations were at a high and all the reports say to expect the same thing again this year. we'll be up again at the end of may for sure. if you havn't fished there before, i don't mind sharing some spots. let me know.

Thanks Captain Dudds

Hey BOC you got any info on Telegraph cove for Springs in May? I've heard that the Hali fishing is good already but I want to know if there will also be good salmon fishing there?

Thanks SW COWBOY

It can be hit or miss there i have guided up there for 10 years now its one of those things when it can be really good or nothing at all lizard pt off of malcom and the whole north side we fish or swanson island near flower island are where we mostly fish the best up there is a incoming tide for sure or first thing in off of the reefs.

good luck Wolf

What is the min. size of boat needed to fish out of Telegraph Cove??? camped there once when i was younger and i am interested in go for hali.

I here the boys are slaying the Hali up there in Mcneil right now does anyone have some good holes they wouldn't mind sharing? As well are most hali's in that location caught on a spreader bar or jig?

SW COWBOY

In my experience, most hali's are caught on spreader bars with herring/octopus etc.

Georges bank is a pretty solid spot. We've had our best luck there on the south east area of the bank. 50 43.856 N by 126 59.038 W -- that is a spot i just pulled off a chart so you can see which area i'm talking about. but don't get me wrong, people get them all over the bank.

if the weather isn't permitting, there are a few more protected spots. if the tides are slow enough, you can fish around white cliff. if not, then there are loads of little spots around. anywhere on a chart that looks somewhat flat will probably be holding halibut. last year, we got blown in off of Georges, so we went into double bay where we could hide, and got a few up to 30 poudns or so. before then, i've never really considered fishing halibut there.

I'm not sure how well you know the area, so white cliffs is a small group of islands just north of swanson island. as for double bay, we were fishing around 50 35.755 N by 126 46.071 W.

around malcolm island, we've got them in all sorts of places. mitchell bay is a good place to try. along the backside of malcolm, from donogal head to the next point up (which is nameless, and often called point no point) , seems to be best from 200-300' of water.

anyways, good luck to you, let me know if you have any questions

Thanks Captain Dudds

SWC..nothing to add to all the (good) advise from the others.
ALthough my preferance is towards mud rakers instead of spreader bars but I use both.

boc

Back