Teleflex Question

Damien

So my steering was a bit stiff after my first run of the year. It eased up after a couple minutes, yes I should have conducted some maintenance before taking it out...but here I am.

My teleflex cable system steering ram has two, what appear to be, grease fittings in the sealed tube area that houses the cable. And there is grease on the exposed ram as it slides in and out.

1) My engine manual (1996 2 stroke 115 Evinrude) says to grease the shaft with OMC Triple Guard Grease. Which is no longer made. I am certain that there are better and cheaper options out there that can do the job. I'm open to suggestions on what to use.

2) I have come across conflicting information on what to shoot into the fittings, oil specific to teleflex or the same/similar grease?

Sorry for my newbie-ish question. I have only ever had tiller steering in the past.

Thanks Gents.

Grease will dry out in the tilt tube over time which makes the steering feel stiff.
You can try using heat on the tube , once the old grease softens up you will be able to add
fresh grease through the zirc's on the tube.
If that doesn't work, you might need a new steering cable.
From my experience they are only good for about 5 years.

Back