Teaser heads

rutskin

Looking for advice on selecting teaser head to conditions. With selection out there it's a guessing game. I'd assume glow/uv for deep or dirty water clear/chrome for shallow or clear water.

At first light glow heads work well in either plain or green glow. Depending on the day and water conditions they may continue to work. Chrome and coloured variations blue/green, green, blue, purple work well in sunny conditions.

For clear water eg WCVI north, blue Chrome is a good choice. I prefer green for off the mouth of the Fraser. There are lots of local favourites. Gold Chrome was popular in Tofino at one time.

In brands, suggest you consider Krippled Anchovy and JDF in addition to Rhys Davis. They provide additional colour options and different actions.

I'd choose a color using the same logic you seem to have the handle on. Back in the day there was clear, green & red. Fishing the same spot but different day would find a color different than yesterday was working better. Finer point of fishing is knowing you SHOULD be catching fish but aren't. If I had to pick a single color it would be the clear UV. If fishing for picky Chinook, bait roll is much more important. I usually roll about half the speed the instructions recommend. I get a much better roll with 2 single hooks versus the treble - I know I kill a lot less fish that way as well. Bury the front hook where you would bury the treble & let the rear hook trail. Tie the hooks so the rear hook bend is at the bait tail tip. I use Mustad 5/0 Ultra point fine wire, but I am a finese fisher & use my palm for all my drag.

Back