Target Larger Springs?

I think there's merit to the suggestion that catching larger fish often simply indicates that a specific run that features large specimens is passing through. I've also seen evidence for the theory that a run of fish often has smaller ones in the vanguard, a concentration of bigger ones at the peak, and lots of little and maimed ones as that run passes a given area.

After picking up jacks and pinks on lures that were almost as big as they were, I don't know that a large plug or spoon greatly increases your chances, especially if the available feed is actually much smaller than your lure. My biggest spring last season was a 34-pounder that took a little 3.5 inch Coyote spoon fished at 60 feet without a flasher. The spoon was about the size of the bait in the salmon's stomach.

The idea that bigger fish got bigger because they're more aggressive hasn't been borne out in my experience. Observing coho in clear Haida Gwaii streams where a hundred or more mature fish might be visible in a hole and roe was legal, a big piece of roe would first draw sculpins, and as they tore at it, small dollies would move in. Their activity would bring jack coho zipping in, and only after the frenzy started would the bigger coho attack. Aside from age and genetic factors, bigger fish might get bigger because in fact they didn't attack until they saw the smaller fish succeed.

As an observation from another location that may apply, while snorkeling in Bonaire in the Caribbean, we were at the edge of a reef, and a troller would come by every hour or so. On 2 miles of coast we swam, there were exactly two smallish schools of mixed-sized permit available, so it was interesting to see a boat get a strike, and rather than return to make another pass at the school, cruise blithely on into totally-barren water. Invariably, the smaller fish were at the top of the school, with a couple of small groups of much larger fish at the bottom of the mass. The little guys were far more aggressive, and the bait was never really presented to the big ones. If you're getting small fish at a given depth, it might pay to run the same tack, and present your lure deeper.

I think there's merit to the suggestion that catching larger fish often simply indicates that a specific run that features large specimens is passing through. I've also seen evidence for the theory that a run of fish often has smaller ones in the vanguard, a concentration of bigger ones at the peak, and lots of little and maimed ones as that run passes a given area.

After picking up jacks and pinks on lures that were almost as big as they were, I don't know that a large plug or spoon greatly increases your chances, especially if the available feed is actually much smaller than your lure. My biggest spring last season was a 34-pounder that took a little 3.5 inch Coyote spoon fished at 60 feet without a flasher. The spoon was about the size of the bait in the salmon's stomach.

The idea that bigger fish got bigger because they're more aggressive hasn't been borne out in my experience. Observing coho in clear Haida Gwaii streams where a hundred or more mature fish might be visible in a hole and roe was legal, a big piece of roe would first draw sculpins, and as they tore at it, small dollies would move in. Their activity would bring jack coho zipping in, and only after the frenzy started would the bigger coho attack. Aside from age and genetic factors, bigger fish might get bigger because in fact they didn't attack until they saw the smaller fish succeed.

As an observation from another location that may apply, while snorkeling in Bonaire in the Caribbean, we were at the edge of a reef, and a troller would come by every hour or so. On 2 miles of coast we swam, there were exactly two smallish schools of mixed-sized permit available, so it was interesting to see a boat get a strike, and rather than return to make another pass at the school, cruise blithely on into totally-barren water. Invariably, the smaller fish were at the top of the school, with a couple of small groups of much larger fish at the bottom of the mass. The little guys were far more aggressive, and the bait was never really presented to the big ones. If you're getting small fish at a given depth, it might pay to run the same tack, and present your lure deeper.
Thanks to all the thoughts and ideas! Interestingly enough, we were out this past weekend and we saw school after school from 75 - 150. Doing a little grade 10 geometry, this meant that the DR equivalent would be 105 - 210. We trolled around the 210+ with plugs and spoons and came home with 3 beautiful springs that were each 20+ based on length and girth calculations.

I have found that once dialed into a spot, lure, speed, leader length etc, that I will consistently catch the biggest fish out of a group of boats working the same area. Recently I was fishing in a pack of boats after 3 days of fishing the same spot and had all those things dialed in. I was getting good sized springs, while everyone else around me was getting shakers. So I think knowing the spots and how to fish them plays the biggest roll. But then once in a while it’s total fluke! I was out for afternoon bite on a slow day in Renfrew and had a newbie buddy that didn’t fish want to rig up one side himself. He threw an anchovy down that wasn’t even rolling and 5 minutes later had a 28lb spring on....

I have found that once dialed into a spot, lure, speed, leader length etc, that I will consistently catch the biggest fish out of a group of boats working the same area. Recently I was fishing in a pack of boats after 3 days of fishing the same spot and had all those things dialed in. I was getting good sized springs, while everyone else around me was getting shakers. So I think knowing the spots and how to fish them plays the biggest roll. But then once in a while it’s total fluke! I was out for afternoon bite on a slow day in Renfrew and had a newbie buddy that didn’t fish want to rig up one side himself. He threw an anchovy down that wasn’t even rolling and 5 minutes later had a 28lb spring on....

I love how fishing can go so easily both ways!!
The only way you are losing is being on land!

I've caught 35 over 40 pounds and 1 over 50 and I would say most (not all) were shallower, closer to shore and if a kelp bed was around close to there as well. In the old days when I first started the guys who caught all the biggest fish were the guys who always fished in close to shore in less than 40-50 ft of water. They never wandered just wet back and forth in that depth zone and waited. Many cut their own large strip back then...they all fished bait but back then it was what ever was available. Ball up bait, bought herring or strip. This was before anchovies became available.

I've caught 35 over 40 pounds and 1 over 50 and I would say most (not all) were shallower, closer to shore and if a kelp bed was around close to there as well. In the old days when I first started the guys who caught all the biggest fish were the guys who always fished in close to shore in less than 40-50 ft of water. They never wandered just wet back and forth in that depth zone and waited. Many cut their own large strip back then...they all fished bait but back then it was what ever was available. Ball up bait, bought herring or strip. This was before anchovies became available.
Thanks PF...and holy ^&%^*(& Awesome record :)

my uncle lived jut 2 minutes from Otter Point and usually fished it with a 12' aluminum boat with a 5 hp outboard. I spent many hours fishing with him. He said his best day in 50 years of fishing Otter Point was a doubleheader of 41 & 43lb springs by himself and landing both! He Always fished strip in a Rhys Davis Minnow teaser head trimmed to suit and a #3 Pal dodger. 16oz peetz weight and shallow and close to shore off the kelp beds.

yes
I love how fishing can go so easily both ways!!
The only way you are losing is being on land!
By being on land and not active your a tourist. Get your feet wet and wade in and start fishing.where a PFD to keep you and a fish afloat.

The "album" hasn't had any new additions for a few years now. Biggest this year went 27. The last over 40 in the boat didn't count because it was lost by someone, died and was floating (barely) on the surface. I came along a couple hours later and scooped it...42 pounds. The only fish we had that morning too. I found out shortly after scooping it up who had lost it earlier. The album you saw Stizzla were all Sooke caught fish...I have another album which is being replaced that has all the bigger fish I have taken in Bamfield and Nootka back when I used to go out of town each year for a spell. I know for sure that I have 2 over 40 from both areas with a 45 being the heaviest.

Last edited:
Our larger fish are consistently caught near structure as with the Way Trench wall trolling a whole hearing or anchovy with no flashers trolled between 1.9 and 2.2 MPH. Our largest fish this year was 41 pounds at Way after the slot limit was canceled, We hooked him on a large purple pack Blue U/V whole hearing. We hooked him in the jaw however when he turned to make his run we as tail wrapped. Talk about fighting a monster.

Back