Talk to me about Vacuum Sealers

Pippen

Hey Guys/Gals,

Tired of paying for others to seal up my fish and have a gift card from Bass Pro I was thinking about using.

I know it's best to use the heavier grade of bags but what is the MM thickness of the stronger ones?

Anyone have an opinion of either of these two or even between Foodsaver and Weston?

http://www.basspro.com/Foodsaver-GameSaver-Big-Game-Plus-Vacuum-Sealer-System/product/1507221425/

http://www.basspro.com/Weston-Professional-Advantage-Vacuum-Sealer/product/1506181221/

I am a complete "know nothing" about these things. Don't necessarily want to jump up to the $400-$500 options unless there is a notable difference. The bulk of the fish I freeze is generally from trips to WCVI where we do get it processed out of convenience, the bulk of local fish is consumed fresh or frozen but eaten in a relatively short span. (so what I process won't need to be frozen for overly extended periods) Keep the WCVI professionally processed fish to feed my gal and I sustained through the winter months.

Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts. :cool:

I have read some negatives in terms of robustness and longevity on the FoodSaver brand, some from those on this forum. Perhaps I have been lucky but that has not been my experience. It may also be that they make models of different price range and quality. We are still using an ancient FoodSaver Vac 1200 model that has had an incredible amount of use and abuse by myself and those I have lent it to, and it is like the Eveready Bunny. A few years back I bought the FoodSaver Game Saver Silver at a sale on the theory that the old Vac1200 could not possibly last much longer. The GameSaver is still sealed in the box so I can’t say how good it is.

The GameSaver is advertised as designed for heavy-duty repetitive use and I like the 12 volt feature that supports use on a boat or RV, but you may have to be careful with fishing and hunting regs. in terms of away from home processing,

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Rockfish, post: 831397y you may have to be careful with fishing and hunting regs. in terms of away from home processing,[/QUOTE]

Roger that and thanks. This will just be used at home for local fish, when travelling for trips they either come home in the whole gutted or we get them processed in Tofino.

I have a game saver and have been happy with it. Also one of the standard food saver you get from Costco that has worked well. The biggest thing that improved the performance has been drying my pieces on newspaper and with paper towels prior to inserting into the bag. Then wiping the edge of the bag your sealing if it has moisture or scales on it. If the heat strip gets too hot and the bags are beginning to melt - turn it off and have a beer. It will be good to go by the time your finished. I thought about getting a more expensive brand but not until the Foodsavers crap out.

I have a game saver and have been happy with it. Also one of the standard food saver you get from Costco that has worked well. The biggest thing that improved the performance has been drying my pieces on newspaper and with paper towels prior to inserting into the bag. Then wiping the edge of the bag your sealing if it has moisture or scales on it. If the heat strip gets too hot and the bags are beginning to melt - turn it off and have a beer. It will be good to go by the time your finished. I thought about getting a more expensive brand but not until the Foodsavers crap out.
x2 on the pre-dry with paper towels

Thanks Geno. When you say Gamesaver, you mean the Foodsaver called the gamer?

Hey Scott,

I have a food saver sealer from Costco that I use for local fish and have my WCVI pro processed like you.
Same as others, keep your product dry and keep the sealer bar clean and dry.
Mine has been going strong for about 3-4 years.
The reason I bought from Costco is their great return policy. I returned one for the one I have now and had no questions asked.

Cheers

I know a guy that buys vac sealers (foodsavers) at value village for über cheap. When they break, he throws it away and goes gets another. Lol

I think it's the kind of appliance often bought with good intentions by families but never gets used (unless you're a fisherman) hence the device ends up in the donate pile in very lightly used condition.

We had a few Foodsavers before buying one of the more expensive Westons (Pro 2300), which we still have, and before buying a Vacmaster VP215 chamber sealer about 1 1/2 years ago. Unlike the Foodsavers, the Weston definitely didn't shut down for us under heavy use and it seemed to have much better sucking power. We still use both a Foodsaver and the Weston at a family vacation place but use the Vacmaster in town. The Vacmaster takes everything to a completely different level though ... it is a workhorse that is so easy to use and the combination of very cheap bags and its ability to seal liquids (soups, stews, sauces etc.) means it is being used regularly for a lot of non-fish items by the much better half and has dramatically cut down on our use of zip lock bags. As I see it, the chamber sealers pays you back with usage over time via lower operating costs and greater durability so the biggest problem with them is likely size and weight related (i.e. where to put it; and, they are not very portable).

We had a few Foodsavers before buying one of the more expensive Westons (Pro 2300), which we still have, and before buying a Vacmaster VP215 chamber sealer about 1 1/2 years ago. Unlike the Foodsavers, the Weston definitely didn't shut down for us under heavy use and it seemed to have much better sucking power. We still use both a Foodsaver and the Weston at a family vacation place but use the Vacmaster in town. .
Wow, You have over $2K in Vacuum Sealers........ I love the higher quality ones, but never realized they went to $1400 bucks. Not criticizing though, I really understand the desire to get away form the food savers. Most of them have a 5 year life expectancy.

Wow, You have over $2K in Vacuum Sealers........ I love the higher quality ones, but never realized they went to $1400 bucks. Not criticizing though, I really understand the desire to get away form the food savers. Most of them have a 5 year life expectancy.
We were lucky to catch the Vacmaster on a 30% off sale and with 2,000 bags was in for under $1,100 taxes included based on having it shipped to Blaine and picked up the Weston back in time on a similar type of sale and when the CDN$ was in much better shape. Still into the vacuum sealers for some $$$ but not quite as bad as it could be and have equipped two homes in the process (well practiced justification on my part ;)).

@Pippen
No one has comment on thickness of bags, so here's my input.

Quality commercial bags are 4 mm.
Weston (type) bags, sold at fishing stores and labeled as commercial, tend to be 3 or 3.25 mm.
Food Saver bags, I think, are about 2.5 mm.

I have found using 4 mm bags, the Food Saver (cheapest model) works fine.
My $80 Food Saver machine was on it's last legs with Food Saver bags, now with 4mm I get 100% seals and they stay sealed for 6 months +

Hope this helps.

Thanks all.

I know there has been mention of Costco and this unit is purely an example.

http://www.foodsaver.ca/en_CA/vacuu...-preservation-system/FM5460-DRTV.html#start=1

Costco has a visually similar device for sale at a cheaper price but the model number does not exist with Foodsaver.

https://www.costco.ca/FoodSaver-2-i...with-Express-Bag-Maker.product.100347343.html

I have actually inquired with Foodsaver to clarify the model number non-existence except for at Costco, also to clarify the differences.

Geno your on the money.Over the years I have found the heating tape elements wear off and stick to bags.I have found now to roll the loading edge of bag over 3" to prevent any contaminants comming in contact with heating tape when I open rolled bag to seal.The slightest bit of contaminants will turn to goo and falter the seal,stick to the heating tape edges and require scrubbing clean and further dammaging heating tape.stop the vac and seal manualy when moisture inside the bag starts to neer the machine to prevent any indepth cleaning of vacuum tubes and other working parts.

vp215 and never look back. we process over 1000 pieces per season. keep the seal clean and change the oil every season.. dont use anything less than 4 mil.

I've had this for several years, best one I've ever had. Costco had them once, I'm sure it was under $100, but you can't seem to get them anymore. Even the Amazon link says they are not available. Sure hope mine keeps going.

They have them on the Foodsaver site in a leafy camo color. ;)

Back