Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

For today's update I thought I'd throw in a few interesting things, one being that we hooked up last night, two being that there were 65 boats counted in the pool last night, and three being there was a 29 lb. 14 oz fish weighed last night. Had that been my fish I would have ended up weeping while curled up on the lawn in the fetal position.

I had Garner out again last night, one of my rookie rod-holders and still in the training phase leading to confidence and competency, if not a fish.

He'd brought along an old half and half Tom Mack spoon which had hooked a very large fish for him at Rivers Inlet on another fishing adventure and wondered if it might work in the pool.

I have a rod I use for spoons although I rarely fish spoons in reality, so we tied it on that rod and started our evening row towing it. With a flood current and persistent following wind it was an evening most rowers don't really love, insofar as you row hard one way trying to make your offering work and then it's almost a Nantucket Sleigh-Ride going back, actually nice for the rower going that way, although with a large number of boats out one must keep one's head on a swivel as the pack basically divides into the big circling group up north and the big circling group down south with a transitional space between, with fewer boats to dodge.

After making two passes with the spoon we switched to the Lucky Louie Shovel-nose Red Eye plug I'd received earlier from Paguy, as I wanted to give it another chance, and we were heading into the last hour of light and that's mostly when a bite happens.

We saw a couple of boats hook-up and row out of the pool, always encouraging, but also my cue to change to one of my two most productive plugs, my modified Rex Field shovel-nose. It's a bit bigger than the Louie and is a proven plug too, something to be considered.

We made our way down to the south end to get set-up for my favorite tack, rowing north keeping two of my markers lined-up and paying special attention to the fleet as I try to avoid having someone on top of my gear and I avoid running up directly behind other boats, which I think helps keep my plug clear from others. I'm not a big fan of fishing together in a semi-circle at the end of the bar, although some rowers love it and are really good at holding position. They are mostly dangling spoons so don't need to move much to have them working, compared to hauling a plug.

Anyway, half-way through the tack and just as it was getting dark, we made a weed check and then entered my favorite area with a clean plug and a hopeful attitude.

There was nothing subtle about the strike and Garner hit it right on schedule as I pulled hard on the oars, hoping to help take up some of the stretch in the line and get the hook securely in.

Waiting a few moments before yelling "FISH ON!!" shows what experience teaches you, something I learned some years back when my instantaneous yell of "fish on" pre-dated our realization it was a Dogfish, much to my embarrassment.

Now, I wait until I'm sure it's a salmon before hooting it up.

Garner had deftly juggled the rod after the strike and had it in the proper position and I was looking for the quickest way out of the pool when I realized there was no sound coming from the reel.

"Clicker?" I asked.

Garner quickly flicked the lever that engages the clicker and the sound came on. He'd forgotten to engage it after the weed check we'd made but a few minutes earlier.
I got to harass him a bit about that. LOL

As we cleared out of the pool, thanks to the couple of boats that recognized the situation and quickly pulled lines and moved, the realization that this was not a big fish became clear, but we were hooked to it and, as intrepid anglers, we wanted to best it.

We almost did.

It really didn't take much time to bring the fish near boat-side and I asked Garner if he wanted to take it, even though it was clearly not a Tyee. He allowed as to how his In-laws, who he was staying with, would probably enjoy a fresh salmon, so that settled that.

By "settle", I mean it ensured that the fish, in a last second twirling bit of fury came loose, just before I could net it.
I felt like Paul Curtis for a moment.

My sympathy lies with Garner's In-laws.....................................................................................................................and the guys who weighed in their fish at 29 lbs. and 14 ounces.

Bob tells me that was the third fish this season to have exactly that weight.

Apparently Pisces likes to joke around.

That's all for now.

Take care.

Year after year I watch for this thread. Again this year, Dave you never disappoint.
Well done Sir !
Just love reading these stories and some day hope to fill a void on my bucket list, and get to fish the pool.

By the sounds of it, I will need my lovely bride, the couples are smokin this year.

Keep it up guys n gals and tight lines to you all.

HT

I just spent two nights in the pool with Dave H. What a great experience. I highly recommend it to anybody who enjoys fishing.
Both nights were near perfect conditions weather wise as well as water conditions.

Dave was a great guy to learn from, was very patient and very interesting to talk with. I will definitely fish the pool again.
Looking forward to next year hopefully ill get out there with Dave again.

Tight lines
SC

Thank you for the kind words Garner, et al, and believe me, I appreciate them.
Who wouldn't?
I look forward to next year when we'll get one of those Tyee for Texada events going again.

So, after our near miss on Monday, with our little one freeing itself right at the boat, I was encouraged by the fact the Rex Field plug had come through again.

I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" generation, so when I rigged up for last night's adventure I carefully checked my lines and re-tied the Rex and then tied on my best plug on my other rod, in case Rex didn't feel right.

With the timing of the tides yesterday, I knew the first hour or so would probably be "weedy", as the first couple of hours after the flood starts often is, but by the time the magic hour came along it should be much better.

And so it was. We did a couple of laps, mostly exercising yours truly and enjoying the scene, picking weeds off frequently, along with everyone else, and then things got better.

Someone right alongside the Argonaut Wharf yelled "FISH ON!" and pulled out and away from the others there, signalling the start of the bite.

North of us we saw a few fish showing and then someone else hooked up.

I moved to get myself into my favorite position and once I did we did a quick weed check and then settled in to the rhythm of rowing with slight variances in power to read the plug's reaction and how it's working.

Ours was working great and once again, there was nothing subtle about the strike, which Merv reacted to with a great hook-set, a flip-over of the reel to the operating position and a muted hoot.

Assured it was a salmon and not one of my much sought after Cabezon, I got to yell "FISH ON" for the second night in a row.

The two boats outside of me immediately reacted perfectly by reeling in and moving away to allow me passage to outside the pool.
A big well done and thank you from Merv and I to you guys. We appreciated your quick actions.

Our initial reaction after getting in the clear was that we didn't have a Tyee hooked, but a much smaller fish, judged from its short runs and the apparent lack of power.

We didn't care and I was super stoked to have Merv on a fish because we had caught one several years ago on his first trip with me and I'd been derelict in getting him out again, so to hook one again was a bonus.

After putting up a somewhat dogged scrap the fish finally showed on the surface and what we saw was a rather large tail and a fat body, but it looked short to my eyes.

Merv said he'd keep it regardless of size and a few moments later brought it alongside and within reach of my net, so I netted it.............almost............ as I missed it the first time which caused it to scream away in a short run then twist around a couple of times in a frenzy, causing memories of what had happened a mere 24 hours previously.

This time, Merv smoothly brought it back and I did net it...................... just like I knew what I was doing.

It looked short in the net too, but was a fatty and did have a big tail, so I taped it just out of curiosity.

It was nearly 37 inches long, which is a good four or five inches short of being the length required to attain the weight of a Tyee.
Bummer.

We didn't bother Bob to have it weighed as he was busy anyway, as a new Tyee had just come in plus another under was ahead of us at the cleaning table and heads were being collected and tagged.

All the heads from the salmon caught in the Tyee Pool are saved for DNA analysis and Bob is often hopping around taking care of that, along with changing the numbers on the board, taking photos, registering the fish, collecting money from the new member and then updating the website when he has a chance.

It's nice to see him earning his keep. LOL

Anyway, here's a few pics from last night.

First we have two smiling people named Dave Ludvigson, the rower, and Aren Knudsen, rod-holder with their 30 lb. plus Tyee, making Aren the newest member of the Tyee Club.

Well done you guys.

KnudsenTyee20.jpg

Here's the gang off the end of the bar jockeying for position and hoping their offering will be the one taken by a large fish.
Mostly hanging spoons along the edge of the flood flow, some of them are incredibly skilled at reading the water and holding position with scarcely an oar being dipped.

RSCN6251.JPG

One of the more enjoyable aspects of the evening row is watching the sky as the Sun slowly sinks and the colours change in the west.
Contrails are illuminated but much fewer in number these days as the number of Asian-bound flights seems to be fewer than previously.

RSCN6248.JPG
And here's the "money shot" although not a Tyee. Still lots of fun and Merv seemed to enjoy playing this one out, and for a guy with limited experience he did a really good job at that.
Kudos to him.

RSCN6249.JPG

Apologies for blurry photo of the fish, but it was rocking a bit out there.

So there we go, two hook-ups the past two nights and one fish in the boat.

I'll keep weeding out these little guys until we get a Tyee.............................................................................................................or the season ends. One or the other.

Take care.

Great as always Dave and seems you have finally shook that cabezon wiggle and got back to the Chinook I need to find my way back to you Now lmao! Guess future plans are later aug for sure! Third ones the charm and hopefully it’s on as I write and hits the tyee mark!

For today's update I thought I'd throw in a few interesting things, one being that we hooked up last night, two being that there were 65 boats counted in the pool last night, and three being there was a 29 lb. 14 oz fish weighed last night. Had that been my fish I would have ended up weeping while curled up on the lawn in the fetal position.

I had Garner out again last night, one of my rookie rod-holders and still in the training phase leading to confidence and competency, if not a fish.

He'd brought along an old half and half Tom Mack spoon which had hooked a very large fish for him at Rivers Inlet on another fishing adventure and wondered if it might work in the pool.

I have a rod I use for spoons although I rarely fish spoons in reality, so we tied it on that rod and started our evening row towing it. With a flood current and persistent following wind it was an evening most rowers don't really love, insofar as you row hard one way trying to make your offering work and then it's almost a Nantucket Sleigh-Ride going back, actually nice for the rower going that way, although with a large number of boats out one must keep one's head on a swivel as the pack basically divides into the big circling group up north and the big circling group down south with a transitional space between, with fewer boats to dodge.

After making two passes with the spoon we switched to the Lucky Louie Shovel-nose Red Eye plug I'd received earlier from Paguy, as I wanted to give it another chance, and we were heading into the last hour of light and that's mostly when a bite happens.

We saw a couple of boats hook-up and row out of the pool, always encouraging, but also my cue to change to one of my two most productive plugs, my modified Rex Field shovel-nose. It's a bit bigger than the Louie and is a proven plug too, something to be considered.

We made our way down to the south end to get set-up for my favorite tack, rowing north keeping two of my markers lined-up and paying special attention to the fleet as I try to avoid having someone on top of my gear and I avoid running up directly behind other boats, which I think helps keep my plug clear from others. I'm not a big fan of fishing together in a semi-circle at the end of the bar, although some rowers love it and are really good at holding position. They are mostly dangling spoons so don't need to move much to have them working, compared to hauling a plug.

Anyway, half-way through the tack and just as it was getting dark, we made a weed check and then entered my favorite area with a clean plug and a hopeful attitude.

There was nothing subtle about the strike and Garner hit it right on schedule as I pulled hard on the oars, hoping to help take up some of the stretch in the line and get the hook securely in.

Waiting a few moments before yelling "FISH ON!!" shows what experience teaches you, something I learned some years back when my instantaneous yell of "fish on" pre-dated our realization it was a Dogfish, much to my embarrassment.

Now, I wait until I'm sure it's a salmon before hooting it up.

Garner had deftly juggled the rod after the strike and had it in the proper position and I was looking for the quickest way out of the pool when I realized there was no sound coming from the reel.

"Clicker?" I asked.

Garner quickly flicked the lever that engages the clicker and the sound came on. He'd forgotten to engage it after the weed check we'd made but a few minutes earlier.
I got to harass him a bit about that. LOL

As we cleared out of the pool, thanks to the couple of boats that recognized the situation and quickly pulled lines and moved, the realization that this was not a big fish became clear, but we were hooked to it and, as intrepid anglers, we wanted to best it.

We almost did.

It really didn't take much time to bring the fish near boat-side and I asked Garner if he wanted to take it, even though it was clearly not a Tyee. He allowed as to how his In-laws, who he was staying with, would probably enjoy a fresh salmon, so that settled that.

By "settle", I mean it ensured that the fish, in a last second twirling bit of fury came loose, just before I could net it.
I felt like Paul Curtis for a moment.

My sympathy lies with Garner's In-laws.....................................................................................................................and the guys who weighed in their fish at 29 lbs. and 14 ounces.

Bob tells me that was the third fish this season to have exactly that weight.

Apparently Pisces likes to joke around.

That's all for now.

Take care.
This is my first time reading about this Tyee pool. It's so cool!
Do you guys row with any lead in front of your plugs/spoons? Just wondering how you get your lure down.

This is my first time reading about this Tyee pool. It's so cool!
Do you guys row with any lead in front of your plugs/spoons? Just wondering how you get your lure down.

Yes, we use weight to sink the plug or to get the spoon down to where we want it.

The rules allow only up to six ounces of weight and most rowers use four when using plugs or two when using spoons.

There are a couple of different methods to use weights also, some using the old slip weight style and some using different styles involving surgical tubing or round weights that are pegged in place as required.

Like most everything in life, there are choices regarding how to best fish what you prefer, plugs or spoons.

Drop by the clubhouse some time if you can and the Weighmaster, Bob, will answer any other questions you may have.

Take care.

I woke up this morning, entered my modest water closet and attempted to sit down for my morning contemplation.

After several failed attempts at seating myself I realized what the problem was.

I really HAD rowed my butt off last night.

Not a fun evening out there at all, but we gave it the old college try.

My two football linemen sized rod-holders sat comfortably while I, the Professor, rowed and rowed and rowed and rowed.

We saw one strike that ended quickly with a broken off fish and a search for the plug, something old Eagle Eye Owen was able to help with as he spotted it and pointed the searchers in the right direction.

I rowed and rowed and rowed and rowed some more.

And with no strikes, no hits and only a couple of rower errors, the game ended at dark.

Oh, I found my butt still stuck in my rowing pants, so all is well and I can sit again.

Did I mention I rowed and rowed and rowed and rowed.....?

I really did.

See you out there.

Take care.

In one of those sometimes funny coincidences the very guy I mentioned recently, Paul Curtis, finally rowed another Tyee last night and created the newest member of the Tyee Club, one Dan Hatch.

I'm told Dan has been trying with Paul for a decade or so, and it finally paid off.

I think Paul has boated over 50 fish since his last Tyee, so it must be a great relief to finally get another.

Nice fish and note how girthy it is even down close to the wrist, just above the tail.

That's what we need to see more of, as Bob, the Weighmaster, told me this fish was barely over 37 inches long but topped 30 lbs. easily, as one can see.

Paul knows how stoked I am to see him with another Tyee, because he knows how much I like and respect him, even after that tragic event so many years ago.

I still sometimes weep.

CurtisTyee20.jpg

I rowed Myles and Rex last evening, a son and father combination, but despite a lovely evening, good working plugs, a few fish showing and a good covering of the pool we ended up strikeless and fishless.

But gee, it was a lovely evening out there.

Give me more.

Take care.

In one of those sometimes funny coincidences the very guy I mentioned recently, Paul Curtis, finally rowed another Tyee last night and created the newest member of the Tyee Club, one Dan Hatch.

I'm told Dan has been trying with Paul for a decade or so, and it finally paid off.

I think Paul has boated over 50 fish since his last Tyee, so it must be a great relief to finally get another.

Nice fish and note how girthy it is even down close to the wrist, just above the tail.

That's what we need to see more of, as Bob, the Weighmaster, told me this fish was barely over 37 inches long but topped 30 lbs. easily, as one can see.

Paul knows how stoked I am to see him with another Tyee, because he knows how much I like and respect him, even after that tragic event so many years ago.

I still sometimes weep.

View attachment 56398

I rowed Myles and Rex last evening, a son and father combination, but despite a lovely evening, good working plugs, a few fish showing and a good covering of the pool we ended up strikeless and fishless.

But gee, it was a lovely evening out there.

Give me more.

Take care.
Any chance you weighed your 37 incher from the other night? Maybe it would have tipped into the 30 lb mark too.

Any chance you weighed your 37 incher from the other night? Maybe it would have tipped into the 30 lb mark too.

Didn't bother Bob to weigh it and tried to use the hand-held scale which was hard to read in the dark, but showed it was nowhere near the 30 lb. mark.

I'd call it 24 or thereabouts, moot regardless, given it wasn't a Tyee.

Had to laugh at a rod-holder first-timer some years back who remarked on how strange it was to fish where a beautiful 20 lb. plus salmon was a disappointment.

His biggest fish ever was a three lb. Bass, caught when he was a kid.

All in your perspective I suppose.

Take care.

Nearly noon on a Saturday and it's been an interesting day so far.

First, we have another Tyee on the board, boated and registered last night by Mr. Mike Stutzel on the oars and the newest member of the Tyee Club of BC, Mr. Tom Hooge.

Their fish weighed exactly 30 1/2 lbs, plenty enough to make it as a Tyee.

Here they are, in the classic kneeling rower standing rod-man pose.

Nice little fish that fell for a plug last night.

StutzelTyee20.jpeg

In addition, we had the first Catch and Release fish of the season this morning, as the duo of Nathon Miller on the rod and Yari Ivanisko on the oars brought this fish boat-side where it was quickly measured while still in the net, and then quickly raised for a photo and released.

Using the length and girth measurements the fish shows as 34.3 lbs. on the conversion chart.

It was a beauty indeed and earned a Catch and Release Pin as well as recognition on the board as a Tyee caught.

Well done men.

ReleasedTyee20.jpg

TyeeCatchReleasePin.jpg

The other event of the day that annoyed the heck out of me and a few others who witnessed it was the motoring into the pool by an apparently professional dive boat, the entering of the water by a diver followed by the boat hanging around for some time before it motored over, picked up the diver then motored away.
I have numerous photos and a couple of videos of it which I will save in case the reports from the Tyee Club need back-up.

As always, makes one wonder just what the thought process was that led to this happening.

Baffles me.

So there you go, updated to the present time with more to follow.

Pray for the wind to go away, 'cause it's been a pain recently.

Take care.

Last edited:
What formula does the club use for estimating weight Dave? Not questioning above just curious.

Length times girth squared divided by 750.

Don't know the measurements of their fish but the big Rivers Inlet fish was 55 x 38 as I recall, and using the 750 number there brought the 105 pound claim.

Some think the 750 number is a bit "generous" and prefer using 800, but I've not an informed opinion as yet.

Take care.

I’ve never understood the 750 thing, do people just want to say that there fish is a little bit bigger than is actually was? 800 is far more accurate, everyone should be using it

Back