Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

Thanks Bruce. I've been slow to report anything recently because, as you noted, there has been nothing new on the board.

I have heard of a number of unders the past couple of days but nada for Tyee.

Here's a couple of pics from Sunday, when we had that awesome sky.

SharonFerrySkyMudge.jpg

And here's my cute rod-holder who took the pics. Since she returned to her teen-age weight she's a joy to row, much lighter than my usual gang of burly brutes. :p

SharonFirstRow20.jpg

Last year it wasn't until the 23rd. that the third Tyee showed up, so maybe we're on schedule after all.

Hang in there and we'll get'em when they arrive.

Take care.

Well she is a lot cuter than me that’s for sure, a lot lighter too sheesh no wonder you got that smile going.. lol as happy as I am that it clearly shows my rod holding skills are in fact as good as most everyone else out there I still like to see that board change. It is truly sad that the quality of fish just are not there like they once were and should be still. Guess my visiting dates next summer will have to be late aug. hope your good looking rod holder there lands a big tyee for you!

Well Dave we had a pretender tonight. My brother is the luckiest rod holder ever . If I’m in a rut I get Dale on the rod and sure enough he hooked up . 27 lbs but still fun as it gets

Last edited:
I have a bit of a video just not sure how to post it.

First, good going with your brother getting one and,

Second, I can't help you with the video posting but there should be instructions in the FAQ section of the site.......or something similar.

Me a Luddite for the most part.

Good luck.

Take care.

HOT OFF THE PRESS!!!

We have another Tyee.

The combination that caught the first Tyee of the season last year has struck again.

Rowed by Mike Dougan with the lovely Maegen Dougan deftly handling the rod, a nice little 32 pounder came to the scale just a short time ago.

Weighmaster Bob, who I had gently chided this morning for being so slack this year in only having weighed in two Tyee, was put to work and bustled about like the consummate pro that he is and the fish was weighed, hung for photos, registered and made ready for the cleaning table in a very short time.

Well done you guys, and in adverse conditions too.

RSCN6220.JPG

The happy couple with their nice little Tyee.

You may recall that last year this couple got the first Tyee of the season followed by Maegen's Mother with the second, mere minutes later.

It wasn't until the 21st. of August last year that Betty Gage registered the third, so we're a day ahead of last year. Yippee!!

Finally, I'd like to apologize for this afternoon's rainfall and SE winds leading to what was not a pleasant outing for those who went tonight.

I foolishly pumped out my boat around 1:30 PM, when it looked like it might be getting better, thinking it might not rain any more.

I should know better by now.

Sorry.

Take care.

Beauty evening out there. The spit was full of cars and on lookers, including me and my puppy. At around 7:15pm I walked by the clubhouse lawn and asked the weighmaster if Dave with the hat was out there yet. He said no, not yet without taking his eyes away from surveying the pool and the 10 or so boats that had just started fishing. And about then he reached for his binoculars and focused on a boat outside and just north of the can buoy. There was a fish netted I could see... and then that was it. Boat never came in so must not have been a contender. By then a steady stream of row boats had showed up to start their tacks ahead of the prime time last hour or so of light. Sure looked nice out there this evening. Lots of jealous folks on shore admiring the peaceful scene of all the row boats. Never did see Dave and his hat out there, but there was a lot of boats to keep track of. Looking forward to your next post Dave.

Beauty evening out there. The spit was full of cars and on lookers, including me and my puppy. At around 7:15pm I walked by the clubhouse lawn and asked the weighmaster if Dave with the hat was out there yet. He said no, not yet without taking his eyes away from surveying the pool and the 10 or so boats that had just started fishing. And about then he reached for his binoculars and focused on a boat outside and just north of the can buoy. There was a fish netted I could see... and then that was it. Boat never came in so must not have been a contender. By then a steady stream of row boats had showed up to start their tacks ahead of the prime time last hour or so of light. Sure looked nice out there this evening. Lots of jealous folks on shore admiring the peaceful scene of all the row boats. Never did see Dave and his hat out there, but there was a lot of boats to keep track of. Looking forward to your next post Dave.

Big boo-boo for me tonight re: rowing and rod-holder calling it off as it's a drive for him, but I got to see the Canucks kill St. Louis, so not all bad.

Out tomorrow with an old polished hand and we're trying for an offspring of Leaping Lena, only a bit bigger.

Looked lovely out there for sure.

Take care.

Anyone looking for a #8 chrome stewart, there is one on Ebay in a group of 3 with two smaller stewarts that look like # 6's. I already have a stack of the #8's.

Well, we have two more Tyee on the board, one from late last night and one from this morning.

The one from last night was taken by rower Peter Wipper with Karen Hutton on the rod and caught in the area known as "down town", which covers a few places.

WipperTyee20.jpeg

Well done you two. Nice fish.

I have no pic of the second Tyee, taken this morning before breakfast by David Nutt (no relation) rowed by Ric Dionne, but it weighed 30 1/2 lbs. and counts as number five.

Here's the new board, which we hope to see change with every outing.

RSCN6230.JPG

And finally, here's why I'm glad I have a little 12V electric bilge pump modified for use in the rowboat.

Sometimes it rains in August.

RSCN6234.JPG

Bailing, bailing, o'er the bounding main.
I'm always bailing, cursing the stupid rain.

(Not really, we need it.) LOL

Take care.

Last evening saw some action in the pool that included several strikes, one shrieking woman, a broken rod, a disqualified Tyee and a new and bigger Tyee that is now the leader of the pack.

Let me explain:

Steve Spiers is a long-time and experienced rower who has been trying to get a Tyee for his wife for quite a few years I've been told, and last night could have been the night.

Unfortunately, when Steve yelled "Hit it!" as he saw the strike, his wife did hit it and the rod broke. Much shrieking/screaming ensued as Steve pulled hard for the outside with the fish still on and his wife trying to keep it together.

Watching from the pool as we traversed back and forth we saw the fish eventually come alongside their boat where it was deftly netted, eye-balled and then bonked.

On the way in we saw Peter Wipper taking a couple of photos as the fish was held up by the angler and to my eyes it looked like a Tyee. We then overheard bits of the conversation that indicated the fish would be disqualified were it to be a Tyee, because the rod had broken. Off to the scale they went.

It weighed 36 pounds, but the first line under causes for disqualification reads: "Any of the following acts or omissions will disqualify a catch:

a) A broken rod.

Now, I have no idea what the reasoning is behind that rule and would love to hear the history behind it, and I now know someone who doesn't like that rule at all.

On a brighter note, we have a new and larger number on the board, as Mr. Glen McIntosh rowed his daughter Cyena to a 38 pounder last night, making her the newest member of the Tyee Club and putting them in the lead for this season.

McIntoshTyee20.jpg

Can't tell you how much more energized I am, now that we seem to have a few fish showing up.

I don't like rowing through empty waters but love it when you know there are fish there.

Anyway, I'm rowing again tonight and we will be trying as hard as we can for a 39 pounder.

Or a 40, I'm not fussy.

Take care.

Last edited:
That’s too bad about the disqualification must be heart breaking. But it is a club with rules so it is what it is.

Still a big congrats to the couple on a nice fish.

Here's a bit of an update hot off the press, or at least straight from Steve, the rower in the disqualified fish story, plus a photo of the broken rod.

Now, here's the tricky bit. Turns out the rod is a George Deagle cane rod and possibly one of his first, as Steve says it was made for him back when George added making Tyee rods to his already well-established group of cane fly-rods he makes.

When I say "tricky", I mean it's hard to show a photo of a broken rod when the rod-builder is such a highly respected and talented guy, and the last thing I want to do is cast aspersions on his product, but facts are facts and stuff happens, so here it is.
RSCN6242.JPG

Steve thinks it might have broken on the strike because of where Christy had her forward hand when holding it, given the rod is so light and feels small that she sort of "cheated" up the rod, hoping to be able to give a sharp strike if required, and that might have created a leverage point the rod couldn't withstand on a hard strike. Hard to say, but look at where it broke and it becomes plausible.

Regardless, these rods have landed numerous large fish without breaking and are basically copies of the rod that a 70 plus pounder was taken on many moons ago, so it's hard to blame it, and perhaps no blame is required at all, and it's just one of those things that happens when fishing.

Steve shared a couple stories of the near-misses he and Christy have had over the years, including playing a good fish nearly to the boat when Steve noticed a brief moment of slackness on the rod before a bend re-established itself.

Upon getting it in they noted it was foul-hooked in the tail, whereas it had clearly been hooked in the jaw earlier in the fight.

Steve figures it threw the hook then in a quick turn snagged itself in the tail.

So there you go, a bit of an update on the events of last night, and now I have another question.

When was the last time a Tyee was disqualified because of a broken rod?

Hmmm..

Take care.

I think you should get Married Dave!!! Seems to be a husband and wife team year!!

Except for screwing up the relationship of the McIntosh's.

Cyena is the daughter of Glen, not his wife.

My bad.

Take care.

Back