Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2019...

I will wear a bluebonnet and you may call me Alice ,if I call you Johnny and you have the hat for it Dave. Lets start the 2019 bluebonnet rodhandlers of the tyee pools movement.love the thread Dave .Good luck tonight.

Well, the men have stepped up and are finally on the board, although it took a couple of knowledgeable gentlemen to pull it off.

This morning, at some ungodly hour, R.D. Berger rowed Mr. John Woodward to a lovely 36 pound Tyee, now the leading fish of the season.

I've decided they can have their day of glory, but only a day, as I plan to row a much larger one tonight, wind permitting.

Congratulations to both men and a big WELL DONE from here.

We won't have to endure the pointing and laughing we've been subjected to when the women ruled the leaderboard.

Or maybe that was just me they were pointing and laughing at?? :D

Darn women, always so confusing. :p

With four unders last night plus a couple this morning and two new Tyee it looks like some fish have arrived, which always makes one more enthusiastic.

Look out fishies, here we come.

Take care.

BettyGageTyee.jpg

Here's Betty's Tyee from Wed. night before the board was changed to announce her 31 pounder.

Apparently lack of practise this year has slowed the Weighmaster down somewhat or he'd have been right on that. :p

Take care.

WoodwardTyee.jpg So the boys finally get on the board, and here's the proof.

John afoot and R.D. Berger kneeling, classic Tyee photo stances.

Again, well done.

Hoping to join you on the board tonight.

Take care.

Well, my trusty rodman, Fish Assassin, had my hopes up for 20 minutes or so tonight as we hooked up another strong fighting fish that took forever to come visit us.

We had a quick look and measure in the boat and I claimed it "under" and "about 28 pounds".

We came in to the dock and trucked the fish to the Clubhouse, where there was a line-up at the cleaning table and Bob, the Weighmaster was busy as a Beaver, measuring fish, collecting heads, fetching bags and the like, so we quietly laid the fish in the trough near the scale and waited for things to slow down.

Bob got to us and noosed the fish so it could be lifted up and placed on the scale, then asked if I'd lift it as he couldn't. Not sure what's happening with that but will find out.

Anyway, I hung the fish and watched as the needle neared 28, then stopped, at 27 lbs. and 14 ounces.

My guess was off by two ounces. LOL

So, no Tyee tonight I'm aware of, but several hook-ups, four or five fish boated by the fleet, a good tough long fight for Owen and a good row and workout for me.

Things could be worse.

Take care.

Well, my trusty rodman, Fish Assassin, had my hopes up for 20 minutes or so tonight as we hooked up another strong fighting fish that took forever to come visit us.

We had a quick look and measure in the boat and I claimed it "under" and "about 28 pounds".

We came in to the dock and trucked the fish to the Clubhouse, where there was a line-up at the cleaning table and Bob, the Weighmaster was busy as a Beaver, measuring fish, collecting heads, fetching bags and the like, so we quietly laid the fish in the trough near the scale and waited for things to slow down.

Bob got to us and noosed the fish so it could be lifted up and placed on the scale, then asked if I'd lift it as he couldn't. Not sure what's happening with that but will find out.

Anyway, I hung the fish and watched as the needle neared 28, then stopped, at 27 lbs. and 14 ounces.

My guess was off by two ounces. LOL

So, no Tyee tonight I'm aware of, but several hook-ups, four or five fish boated by the fleet, a good tough long fight for Owen and a good row and workout for me.

Things could be worse.

Take care.

i would take your cabezon from last year and ram it deep into its yap. Boom. your a legend.

Last night, as we stood around waiting for the activity to subside somewhat so our fish could be weighed, Roy Grant and I chatted a bit.

He'd hooked up just before we did earlier but lost it (I think), while we managed to boat ours.

After applying the wooden shampoo, one needs get the fish out of the net, which proved not easy last night as the hook, honed to a fine point earlier by Owen, had perfectly penetrated one of the knots at each junction of twine that helps make up a net and was really difficult to extricate.

"Cut the line off," I offered. So he did, then handed me the plug, which I put in my pocket.

Now, chatting with Roy, I asked him what plug was he using. He reached into his pocket and produced what looked extremely familiar.

"You stole my plug," I claimed, as I reached into MY pocket and produced its mate.

We laughed, as they were identical Lucky Louie pale Pink Pearl Shovel-noses, as twins as could be.

I failed to ask Roy how many his plug had hooked, but mine has now hooked up eight times. Really hard to not keep using it.

If you have one of these style and colour of plugs, get it in the water.

Now.

Take care.

RowensTyee.jpg StutzelTyee.jpg Last evening saw two more Tyee registered at the Clubhouse and a few unders reported.

Mike Stutzel, fishing alone, managed to subdue a 30 1/2 pounder which made it the fifth Tyee to date, and about the 10th. or so fish he has boated this year.

He's been on fire but lacked the poundage on all of his previous fish, so this one was great to see. Well done Mike.

Not to be outdone, Monique Weeks rowed young Rowen Berkey into the club as a new Junior Member with a lovely 32 1/2 pounder that made both Mom and Dad very proud.

So now, of the six Tyee registered, three were boated by women and one was rowed by a woman.

There might be something in my new strategy to row mostly women next year, and maybe I'll have a woman row me someday too.

Couldn't hurt. :D

I'm rowing a cute blonde tonight, and we're due for a Tyee, so wish us luck.

Take care.

View attachment 47396 View attachment 47395 Last evening saw two more Tyee registered at the Clubhouse and a few unders reported.

Mike Stutzel, fishing alone, managed to subdue a 30 1/2 pounder which made it the fifth Tyee to date, and about the 10th. or so fish he has boated this year.

He's been on fire but lacked the poundage on all of his previous fish, so this one was great to see. Well done Mike.

Not to be outdone, Monique Weeks rowed young Rowen Berkey into the club as a new Junior Member with a lovely 32 1/2 pounder that made both Mom and Dad very proud.

So now, of the six Tyee registered, three were boated by women and one was rowed by a woman.

There might be something in my new strategy to row mostly women next year, and maybe I'll have a woman row me someday too.

Couldn't hurt. :D

I'm rowing a cute blonde tonight, and we're due for a Tyee, so wish us luck.

Take care.
Pic or it didn't happen.

MackenzieTyee.jpg JanzenTyee.jpg RSCN5912.JPG Despite what was a somewhat adverse wind/current situation last evening my cute blonde rod-holder steered us away from the dock and away we went.

We joined the intrepid crew who had also ventured forth and tried to get a feel for what was happening on the water.
It was one of those "Nantucket sleigh-ride" one way and row your butt off going the other types of nights plus we experienced a rather weird phenomenon with my hot plug.
The hook harness would not stay in the plug with the result being the plug would gyrate maniacally while the hook and harness flailed about behind it, not what we were trying to have happen.

The plug is a commercial version of the Shovel-nose Louie so it has a small slot where you put the harness through and sometimes it will hang up on that slot and not go all the way in, something I explain to my rod-holders every outing, and it usually presents no problem, once one is aware.

Last night, despite ensuring the plug was placed in the water with the harness through it, we had three or four incidences of noticing the difference in action, checking it and finding the harness out of the plug.

Never had that happen quite like that before so am wondering if the surface wind I was fighting somehow allowed enough slack in the line to allow the weight of the hook harness pull it out of the plug to where it wouldn't slide back in.

I'm a bit stymied, to be honest.

As to the Tyee situation?

We have two more caught last night.

First, Rick Janzen rowed Judy Janzen to a 31 1/2 pounder, good enough for sure.

Well done.

Next, Ken Enns rowed a new member into the club with a 30 1/2 pounder, some half hour after the Janzen's fish.
So, say hello to Reg Mackenzie, the newest member of the Tyee Club of BC.

Ken has rowed more than a few Tyee over the years so it's always great to see him have success still.

One thing I noted is that both Tyee last night fell for a spoon.

Hmmmmm.

Where's my polish??

Take care.

A much less windy evening saw a good turnout of boats last night, but no new Tyee registered.

Saw a few finning and/or jumping fish, which amused my young rod-holder no end, but drove his Grandpa and I nuts. LOL

While one always wants to see fish showing themselves it's also frustrating at times when they are right there but you don't get a strike.

In the way of Tyee updates we have a new one on the board, rowed by Reid Herkes and fought to the boat by Bruce Herkes, who may be a relative. :D

This happened this morning at 6:00 AM and the fish fell for a plug and weighed 30 lbs. on the new scale, barely making it as a Tyee, but making it for sure, which is what counts.

Good going men.

Pics to follow.

Take care.

My favorite section of the forum every year! I also always enjoyed Katherine Forbes’s (Painter) tales about the pool during my years staying at Critter. For my own curiosity could you post a picture of said plug and harness @Dave H ?

need bait lol...

Doesn't work well on non-feeding fish it seems.

Besides, not allowed if you wish to register a fish under Tyee Club rules, which is what I wish to do.

Take care.

My favorite section of the forum every year! I also always enjoyed Katherine Forbes’s (Painter) tales about the pool during my years staying at Critter. For my own curiosity could you post a picture of said plug and harness @Dave H ?

I'll try.

Have tried twice but for some reason the site isn't accepting my photos. Might be a temporary thing so will try later.

Take care.

Back