Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2019...

Thanks Dave H for your tyee thread every yr
Great read for all

Congrats to Floyd, a well deserved fish for him and his fishing partner

Thanks Dave for posting this thread again this year. Its terrific.
I hope some day i can row and fish this pool if my health holds out long enough.

1 of the best threads on SFBC......all time.

Nothing much to report from last night or this morning, other than a 21 pounder was kept by someone.

Still many Pinks in the pool and the common belief is the Chinook will mostly be right behind them, notwithstanding the two Tyee already caught.

Weighmaster Bob mentioned this morning that we'll have the usual several day drought now, until the Pinks clear out.

RK out on the bar late morning today hanging a spoon in the spot. Haven't heard the bell ring so.........

Jigger Joe out today too but didn't see any action with him.

We'll be out again tonight although I'm not convinced the tides are very good.

Here's a bit of action from the 34 pounder registered the other night.

Apparently the fish was annoyed at being caught, killed and hung up for people to admire, so it poked Floyd in the eye. I saw it myself.

RSCN5832.JPG

Take care.

Nothing much to report from last night or this morning, other than a 21 pounder was kept by someone.

Still many Pinks in the pool and the common belief is the Chinook will mostly be right behind them, notwithstanding the two Tyee already caught.

Weighmaster Bob mentioned this morning that we'll have the usual several day drought now, until the Pinks clear out.

RK out on the bar late morning today hanging a spoon in the spot. Haven't heard the bell ring so.........

Jigger Joe out today too but didn't see any action with him.

We'll be out again tonight although I'm not convinced the tides are very good.

Here's a bit of action from the 34 pounder registered the other night.

Apparently the fish was annoyed at being caught, killed and hung up for people to admire, so it poked Floyd in the eye. I saw it myself.

View attachment 46904

Take care.
Lol

I heard it was a Mother and Daughter duo of bell ringers Dave! That must be another award for them

It's true.

Roma is the Mother of Maegan (spelling?) which makes this a rather unique event methinks, although I don't think there's an award for that.

No award for Mike and Betty Gage either, even though they are the only parents on Earth who have two sons who have each rowed a 60 pounder plus in the Tyee Pool.

Unique in the purest sense of that word.

I think that's neat as can be.

Take care.

Just a reminder that if any of you would like to try Tyee fishing with me please contact me via PM.

I've got lots of open days left and can find a spot to accommodate most availabilities, should you have limited times etc.

Ugly evening tides for the pool right now with a dinky little ebb, but one never knows if any fish came in on the bigger tide of the day, so ya gotta go look.

Take care.

The old adage: "No news is good news" sadly falls apart in this case, given no news means no Tyee have been registered since last Wed.

The Pinks seemed to have cleared out for the most part but only a few undersized Chinook have been reported the past several days and Saturday evening found but 20 or so boats out and hardly anyone at the Clubhouse watching, something Weighmaster Bob remarked on yesterday.

Normally, a Sat. evening would see a larger turnout of both boats and spectators, but with no Tyee being caught recently the excitement level is definitely down.

The morning crew have reported a few catch and release events plus a few fish rolling on the bar recently, with the always optimistic note that a "really big one" was seen this morning, but not hooked.

Still crappy little tides for the evening go-out but I'm hoping to have two of the longest-suffering rod-holders in my group with me tonight so maybe things will change. Heaven knows they've suffered long enough.

Wish them luck.

Take care.

Well it's Hump Day, so here's your report to carry you through to tomorrow.

My two "long-suffering" rod-holders, Rob and Angie, upheld our annual tradition of rowing around the pool unbothered by anything like a strike, so that went as planned.
Angie did make a great strike on a big wad of weed though, so we awarded her the Queen Of The Weeds crown for the night.
Sadly, and a bit ungratefully too I thought, she refused to wear a garland of kelp for a crown, so her accomplishment went un-recorded in the club annals.

Last night I had the M and M boys out for another go and they also managed to keep alive our reputation for hooking nothing, although we finally saw some rolling fish off the bar, always a hopeful sign and something Myles noted we had always had happen in our previous outings. He may be a fish attractant or something. LOL

This morning I pedalled down to get the AM report and received a mixed bag, with the concerning news being that Jules, one of our stalwarts and the guy who made the really cool videos of fish following and then striking the past couple of years had a heart attack just as he was weighing in a 27 pounder. Bob, the Weighmaster, ended up helping him get out of his boat and on to the dock while they waited for help to arrive, having been quickly summoned by Bob.

Apparently Jules had a few shunts implanted some years back so a heart problem seems to have reared its ugly head again.
I'm told he was helicoptered out this morning and we're all hoping he gets through this ok.

On a more positive note, aside from the 27 Jules weighed in this AM, at least four other fish were hooked and lost, so there are definitely fish in the pool.

Apparently Jim Clough had a good look at his and said it looked pretty good sized and would have probably been a Tyee.
Having registered a 55 pounder a few years back Jim has seen a big fish before, so I believe him.

Anyway, the evening tides still aren't great but getting better and I just might have to get up in the morning and try that tide too.

It could happen.

Take care.

My two "long-suffering" rod-holders, Rob and Angie, upheld our annual tradition of rowing around the pool unbothered by anything like a strike, so that went as planned.
Angie did make a great strike on a big wad of weed though, so we awarded her the Queen Of The Weeds crown for the night.
Sadly, and a bit ungratefully too I thought, she refused to wear a garland of kelp for a crown, so her accomplishment went un-recorded in the club annals.

Last night I had the M and M boys out for another go and they also managed to keep alive our reputation for hooking nothing, although we finally saw some rolling fish off the bar, always a hopeful sign and something Myles noted we had always had happen in our previous outings. He may be a fish attractant or something. LOL

This morning I pedalled down to get the AM report and received a mixed bag, with the concerning news being that Jules, one of our stalwarts and the guy who made the really cool videos of fish following and then striking the past couple of years had a heart attack just as he was weighing in a 27 pounder. Bob, the Weighmaster, ended up helping him get out of his boat and on to the dock while they waited for help to arrive, having been quickly summoned by Bob.

Apparently Jules had a few shunts implanted some years back so a heart problem seems to have reared its ugly head again.
I'm told he was helicoptered out this morning and we're all hoping he gets through this ok.

On a more positive note, aside from the 27 Jules weighed in this AM, at least four other fish were hooked and lost, so there are definitely fish in the pool.

Apparently Jim Clough had a good look at his and said it looked pretty good sized and would have probably been a Tyee.
Having registered a 55 pounder a few years back Jim has seen a big fish before, so I believe him.

Anyway, the evening tides still aren't great but getting better and I just might have to get up in the morning and try that tide too.

It could happen.

Take care.
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for Jules .

It could happen.

Take care.

Oh man...is that what happened. i was coming of the water this morning when i heard all the sirens. don’t know the gent but i hope all is well.

Take care.

She should have taken the crown, I agree! Nevertheless Dave it’s always a pleasure to be rowed around and serenaded in the moonlight bouncing off the pool.

Best wishes for Jules, glad he got the fish weighed before they whisked him away

Friday AM briefing, so get your underpants on. :D

Glad to report that Jules called Bob last night from Victoria and, after some procedures installing stints and such, he's up and about and doing much better.

He said when they arrived in the helicopter he was whisked right into the OR and looked after immediately. Good stuff.

On the Tyee front, well it's not very good at all. We're still at two fish registered with a few undersized ones being hooked most outings, but no size as yet. :(

Hoping they will show up now that the pool is fairly free of Pinks, given most have moved up the river now, as a few old-timers claim the Tyee usually arrive on the heels of the Humpies, so to speak.

Maybe tonight, the refrain of us all these days. LOL

Take care.

Sunday morning coming down.

Despite another near heroic effort by yours truly along with 40 or so others for company, I again managed to avoid getting any fish blood or slime in my boat.

We did see the Mackie family hook, fight and boat a small one, not far from where we were, but not much else happened that we saw.

Going through the new Tyee Club Yearbook, the blue one, I couldn't help but notice the following under a photo of Mike Mackie rowing.

"Over the past couple years Mike Mackie has hit his stride and become one of the Club's most successful rowers. During the years 2014 to 2018 Mike rowed nine Tyee. The fish would go on to win the Tyee Man Trophy in 2014 and 2018, Les McDonald & Galvin (sic) Chisholm Trophies in 2014, Mainwaring Trophy in 2014 & 2018, Benjamin Trophy in 2014, 2017 & 2018, Dr. Richard Murphy in 2017, Raven Trophy in 2017 & 2018 and Lillian J. Sparrow in 2018."

I'm not normally one to disparage anyone, but that's just showing off. :D

What's even worse is that he's been using children as rod-holders so when they yell "FISH ON!" it comes out in high pitched squeaky voices and one can't have that all the time. It disturbs the tranquility of the scene for those of us who can't hook fish. ;)

The AGM was yesterday but as I'm not a member of the Tyee Club I wasn't able to table my motion to Ban The Mackies, something I've received great support for from several other disgruntled old coots who can't hook a fish either. :p

And by "several" I mean at least a couple of other guys. :D

Good thing for the Mackies I'm unable to officially launch my Ban them movement at the moment, but if I ever catch a Tyee and get into the Club they better watch out. :D:D

Got to go now as I'm feeling another "movement" about to happen.

Take care.

Another refrain most have heard before is: "What a difference a day makes."

Sadly, in this case, it made no difference as the number 34 repeated is still on the Tyee Club board meaning no new Tyee have been registered since Roma got hers.

Been a few unders caught, most released but a few weighed in, including a 27 pounder yesterday I think.

Apparently Paul Curtis lost what he claimed would have been a Tyee this AM, so we can add it to the list of lost fish this year that have been lamented as they seemed Tyee-like when hooked.

Once lost, of course, they become a Tyee for sure, fishermen being able to judge the "big ones" that get away with uncanny accuracy. :D

I've got to mention Paul Curtis again, for two reasons.

One, he's one of my favorite people and an immensely likeable guy who was on the Board of Directors of the Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society when they built the new creek back in 1998 and 1999, so he deserves a nod for that, and:

Two, he's been the long-suffering recipient of my long-standing albeit totally false claim that he knocked off my Tyee with the net back around 15 years ago or longer.

He was hot that year and gracious enough to take me out a few times and one of those times resulted in a good solid hook-up to what would have easily made Tyee weight. We got it boat-side but not quite within netting range when it made another weak sounding attempt, and the hook came out.

Naturally, although Paul hadn't made any attempt to actually net it, I started the rumour he'd "knocked it off" with the net.

I have a sometimes perverse sense of humour.

I have perpetuated this ongoing ruse these many years and Paul never knows when we pass each other in the pool whether or not whomever is my rod-holder for the night will say aloud, "Is that the guy you were telling me about?" which is what I often get new people to say loudly when I see Paul coming. :D

He's always gracious enough to laugh and then deny the role he's been assigned whenever he hears that phrase, and I am grateful he does, although I'm sure he's like this..... :rolleyes: by now. :D

One of the many fine people associated with Tyee rowing, and I'm glad I know him.

And I still find it funny. :p

Take care.

The great thing about losing a Tyee is, you dont have to put it on the scale only to find out it was 29 pounds lol

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a very good year, How many were weighed in 4 years ago?

The great thing about losing a Tyee is, you dont have to put it on the scale only to find out it was 29 pounds lol

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a very good year, How many were weighed in 4 years ago?

Four years ago saw but 15 in total but it's the dates they were taken that I find interesting.

First one was August 6th, next was the 17th, then the 19th. saw two, the 21st. saw two, then singles on the 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 28th, 31st, then September 1st, 4th, and the final two on the 8th, with nothing the last week of the season.

Late running fish and here we are on the 19th. with only two.

Five years ago, in 2014, there were only nine Tyee registered.

So............................................

Who knows?

Take care.

Four years ago saw but 15 in total but it's the dates they were taken that I find interesting.

First one was August 6th, next was the 17th, then the 19th. saw two, the 21st. saw two, then singles on the 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 28th, 31st, then September 1st, 4th, and the final two on the 8th, with nothing the last week of the season.

Late running fish and here we are on the 19th. with only two.

Five years ago, in 2014, there were only nine Tyee registered.

So............................................

Who knows?

Take care.
Ok Dave, book us in for 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 28th, 31st, or September 1st, 4th

Ok Dave, book us in for 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 28th, 31st, or September 1st, 4th

Too late.

I've hired Paul Curtis to row me on those dates.

Apparently he wants to atone for his earlier deeds. :D

Take care.

Thursday morning and a good news bad news situation has arisen.

The good news is that another Tyee was registered last night after the wind died and things smoothed out, a 31 pounder boated by the combo of son Roger Gage and Mom Betty Gage.

Roger rowed and Betty fought the fish, and without double-checking I bet that's not the first time that's happened. :)

The bad news is, at least for the men, all Tyee this year have been registered by women. :rolleyes:

This undeniable fact has led me to re-consider my strategy, one not having much success of late, and I'm seriously thinking of weeding out some of my male rowers and adding a bunch more females. :D

There are a number of advantages to this, as I see it, and here's but a few.

They are almost always lighter in weight than many of my male friends. :p

They most often follow instructions well, evidence last year when a first-timer turned out to be the only person who hooked a fish from my boat.

Hooked up four times and the only four strikes I had, even though I tried just as hard with all my other rod-holders.

They usually have more patience then many men do.

Probably an evolutionary trait given they are the ones who have to put up with men. :D

They often smell better than some of the men I know too. :D:D

So, I'm going forward now with this years already booked men, but next year I'm going to concentrate on rowing women.

(I can hardly wait to see some of my pals in dresses, trying to book an evening with me.) :D:D

Congratulations Betty Gage on Tyee number three.

Four or five unders last night and a couple this morning too.

Floyd and Roma came in with a beauty last evening but it only moved the needle on the new scale to 27 pounds and 14 ounces.

Fin-clipped Quinsam hatchery fish.

I feel good about tonight.

Take care.

Back