Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2019...

IdE896Hc3IM4Qy9ds2L9rhzjc-vTkgLpS3Lg_B_r_DY07hUKpuQwpsKQ_4V7jSnmjTn1YW_BTKK6g1hhfahv6rmHf2LgjcR4G1heFsrFurvohKNwoJ-33D9rCgLb9dV9sNQd6bcR4OCX8KH0K1ASVkNWvRqCgPUVm48-qp1grV4Grk-lvPuope0tDnrxiNT1nc_pyH5-KGxUKGsMP5mYJfHtYHLjUkCXYXg88QWZ4wsu3YrU2gtxkZZ08fov10JnrjmkNbsqkZeuOTesu6oZWUDDD6ZKKJCRSWgxTTatJUhMoBdR6IU5V5fB3mwISzd8utsapLnOuBLpnp9oSjnJc4lnVds-EPktLIQMubGknFjWWpzo2mx9gnWzooreAcRdjKaHQaPmJQJPG8_TbftbTKjmFJo2o__GCuUnq413lAbIIL7-qpmyw8YBkTuXaWDybntLTbEGRWy7hGwr0b6JG7mrRzQa5eXPWcqX8WYZ9sfbltV-uvHkh3xbVcOcInIVUJyY4Mh2FI1fCJyN8a-9rjhxrm9YrvBopP_mEvTNZ5D6poIw2OGbl49UBdXlRz9n6sLzhSsm9YltlRhuM8qmdaECi7ILB7ic9WrgbU_cBuHDJbpfYoXBkWqcFu9e9mY2KVzN9APGzkb6W5_qjoc3mhCaRflFl4g=w370-h657-no
ei0OdQpvKW8PMSsbhRiyCKTqhPLzAcTasAaOKQWUgUJbtEoUXXOy9YpJiAvafDydHXsyLxQEdG_2TvmPDMj0sw8lIqNZVRNfpV5_3MuXk3fhStnj8O-W3nUS2xI_Pyc1d07xMK92f9eb0LcUxZXg28cZQ-o_3xZfm9p_do9JlzCquVKAP0kGsvN2mpsksSUcue5doxuzK1v5wXFx16DFoDijtz1940QI9tzA4anwgIMGmH6wzE_Lb4ySK6O_vzHzGBboa1MDpZUgOROVjRXyc_vuSa8ujRSPQEOfkJIzHo2qlAnOealw_D5-UnIReDvckJwRzCKZwHGzy2Vo_PuqInYmVXlpn0wVNkIOARMsvwhQ3eOCLMtS2FqvUBXJOCuxs4oBv2DrpKhal_kw4DwrsZcjfteFyIFAq_Fx1ZyZ4FCCCApgr5OuaMysvq_2xBGzBFr10uEQ_GwTuOrezaF9byh_aTY-efCWUB7S9o0EzfoZIe3a2R_-e4neNw3NiXiFLfSkNJ-a9SaDY2_ZN8Mq83lwMP26bq0U5AHrVU5nsQTl5SUefu9ODAznUHrc1VWRM3bkDEPB-3ZvTMjZHhbZuMOHyzS-aGu4z_uY8FInk2YI3eaCsBd4fqRV4GtkQ5eJIMSvJ6YChF3_2b3KCdC5bk59qFKrDBU=w370-h657-no
qLiGB47fjhJgL09vvzGBt9U8CQGjScDxAXrHdSujIbc9fBjfFteQhTM8LpMqEMF8U2VGztnQ-ZVuWYNg-2E5G9ps1JdOW-t9rwPWe9Y9qNA7LCGdRVXRsBMAwF3KKIc6Zj-X201E3ffSvite8lpqQKDNbdHJuS3h6Ve9doSXAQ45lxZLyF-hkIo6zfsrL3UI7gya5a6LqMLmIrP_cud9hC_W-wNHHnw3suHaUptDedsA7ej1XAKSuyvO0tyrR6RBGhojV2Hb9LMoyJvU-MHvmC0YgDPR6HSgQlfG1u9LF5HBD5t15UnyY9vVmuDhViol0d6rjOjAljvBk-d9XF-Ys5feb4JSI0jtPsS7wc0FoQjvDmRvCVovHHMmKvXwKZy1CHiu_GNAwuOnR2kAoXX_IAOQAY3UhihfkbbM-pCaAzSJWOLY6Pj69dOIvwlnhTL7Xfefx3ps1-Gt2HSGrEq15DhjgBd0YoAHGCwicn3t3ZjY2NvY0I9uHB8Mb8bWvfKOfI62jP_8tDa04bER6OrHZodLTMwK-i2qCQ22kSK15J3Gm5WmhHILB1os-t_Iix2shSM2zr1oHtMM5nBLAd9KpCHkaRxXBVxVxLtc_kDUX_DVoE-mADL31sXUmKupqYPRwtjZvrqQIcVu-0uUykdkkhlq3R4XO74=w370-h657-no
jk-eVfafaontiEH-lB8CMpPt_wYyYQ9xPHxiV8ZhEh75Kn242Crv9hBho8MEPIoPqWeMHo7lCSmrufhcsTk-ji5PK6xAdc4eB7ssJEBPdZhiQDf201f0cnzsUC0DgaJn_esNKa4Tj-cfcFQ8udFgbe-79A1b1PxBr5KyfUxisiZWHfEGJeooQDdkGwidYgM3LMsl1b6TBic_2TPggQUpM9d_0j0YYPXTCN0NHwf47ZKAmwqcL7MRDRbn_FLEEeb5ClywS48HC8qnxFDpjjCFq2M0crnaN6QFAvr4pU7OKirzhfynGSl5ZM8Dep8KgY-tySuC7QlxC3YvqYKRpQAiZeB_Bs2sqSmm76ypK3lDtoOktyuCGRKpHyP0WSDKqVfpig0RI7ayvMunEOYCIwZCSJt8H33Rwx_SEVpkyKtWl94SvPy-XmIzzVmcSPzS2mqxsLAZk1nRZKoCf24sAyJQYP1Q-Tcd56HQItZnhL6VirkuYivfIySU-W5PYxFjtvJdxcWETrTRUinscAkHaM5mLYIqnwpGSucbkoLk8RNbWD0b6eLvufLZWI8x3oS-hBWqma8_YM0sNX613c0uJhywjf04XtYMemltUBtk9MlLnlep-dudy8vAcuoeFYvAT6l8lu7sBwPmFeAQ6Crl83xl5xT9o345TXs=w370-h657-no

Last night, Tyee Pool. Bad way to catch, but great way to fish!
Super Dave racing a cruise ship. Remember, all guys in black hats are not bad guys. Thanks for the blog Dave!

IdE896Hc3IM4Qy9ds2L9rhzjc-vTkgLpS3Lg_B_r_DY07hUKpuQwpsKQ_4V7jSnmjTn1YW_BTKK6g1hhfahv6rmHf2LgjcR4G1heFsrFurvohKNwoJ-33D9rCgLb9dV9sNQd6bcR4OCX8KH0K1ASVkNWvRqCgPUVm48-qp1grV4Grk-lvPuope0tDnrxiNT1nc_pyH5-KGxUKGsMP5mYJfHtYHLjUkCXYXg88QWZ4wsu3YrU2gtxkZZ08fov10JnrjmkNbsqkZeuOTesu6oZWUDDD6ZKKJCRSWgxTTatJUhMoBdR6IU5V5fB3mwISzd8utsapLnOuBLpnp9oSjnJc4lnVds-EPktLIQMubGknFjWWpzo2mx9gnWzooreAcRdjKaHQaPmJQJPG8_TbftbTKjmFJo2o__GCuUnq413lAbIIL7-qpmyw8YBkTuXaWDybntLTbEGRWy7hGwr0b6JG7mrRzQa5eXPWcqX8WYZ9sfbltV-uvHkh3xbVcOcInIVUJyY4Mh2FI1fCJyN8a-9rjhxrm9YrvBopP_mEvTNZ5D6poIw2OGbl49UBdXlRz9n6sLzhSsm9YltlRhuM8qmdaECi7ILB7ic9WrgbU_cBuHDJbpfYoXBkWqcFu9e9mY2KVzN9APGzkb6W5_qjoc3mhCaRflFl4g=w370-h657-no
ei0OdQpvKW8PMSsbhRiyCKTqhPLzAcTasAaOKQWUgUJbtEoUXXOy9YpJiAvafDydHXsyLxQEdG_2TvmPDMj0sw8lIqNZVRNfpV5_3MuXk3fhStnj8O-W3nUS2xI_Pyc1d07xMK92f9eb0LcUxZXg28cZQ-o_3xZfm9p_do9JlzCquVKAP0kGsvN2mpsksSUcue5doxuzK1v5wXFx16DFoDijtz1940QI9tzA4anwgIMGmH6wzE_Lb4ySK6O_vzHzGBboa1MDpZUgOROVjRXyc_vuSa8ujRSPQEOfkJIzHo2qlAnOealw_D5-UnIReDvckJwRzCKZwHGzy2Vo_PuqInYmVXlpn0wVNkIOARMsvwhQ3eOCLMtS2FqvUBXJOCuxs4oBv2DrpKhal_kw4DwrsZcjfteFyIFAq_Fx1ZyZ4FCCCApgr5OuaMysvq_2xBGzBFr10uEQ_GwTuOrezaF9byh_aTY-efCWUB7S9o0EzfoZIe3a2R_-e4neNw3NiXiFLfSkNJ-a9SaDY2_ZN8Mq83lwMP26bq0U5AHrVU5nsQTl5SUefu9ODAznUHrc1VWRM3bkDEPB-3ZvTMjZHhbZuMOHyzS-aGu4z_uY8FInk2YI3eaCsBd4fqRV4GtkQ5eJIMSvJ6YChF3_2b3KCdC5bk59qFKrDBU=w370-h657-no
qLiGB47fjhJgL09vvzGBt9U8CQGjScDxAXrHdSujIbc9fBjfFteQhTM8LpMqEMF8U2VGztnQ-ZVuWYNg-2E5G9ps1JdOW-t9rwPWe9Y9qNA7LCGdRVXRsBMAwF3KKIc6Zj-X201E3ffSvite8lpqQKDNbdHJuS3h6Ve9doSXAQ45lxZLyF-hkIo6zfsrL3UI7gya5a6LqMLmIrP_cud9hC_W-wNHHnw3suHaUptDedsA7ej1XAKSuyvO0tyrR6RBGhojV2Hb9LMoyJvU-MHvmC0YgDPR6HSgQlfG1u9LF5HBD5t15UnyY9vVmuDhViol0d6rjOjAljvBk-d9XF-Ys5feb4JSI0jtPsS7wc0FoQjvDmRvCVovHHMmKvXwKZy1CHiu_GNAwuOnR2kAoXX_IAOQAY3UhihfkbbM-pCaAzSJWOLY6Pj69dOIvwlnhTL7Xfefx3ps1-Gt2HSGrEq15DhjgBd0YoAHGCwicn3t3ZjY2NvY0I9uHB8Mb8bWvfKOfI62jP_8tDa04bER6OrHZodLTMwK-i2qCQ22kSK15J3Gm5WmhHILB1os-t_Iix2shSM2zr1oHtMM5nBLAd9KpCHkaRxXBVxVxLtc_kDUX_DVoE-mADL31sXUmKupqYPRwtjZvrqQIcVu-0uUykdkkhlq3R4XO74=w370-h657-no
jk-eVfafaontiEH-lB8CMpPt_wYyYQ9xPHxiV8ZhEh75Kn242Crv9hBho8MEPIoPqWeMHo7lCSmrufhcsTk-ji5PK6xAdc4eB7ssJEBPdZhiQDf201f0cnzsUC0DgaJn_esNKa4Tj-cfcFQ8udFgbe-79A1b1PxBr5KyfUxisiZWHfEGJeooQDdkGwidYgM3LMsl1b6TBic_2TPggQUpM9d_0j0YYPXTCN0NHwf47ZKAmwqcL7MRDRbn_FLEEeb5ClywS48HC8qnxFDpjjCFq2M0crnaN6QFAvr4pU7OKirzhfynGSl5ZM8Dep8KgY-tySuC7QlxC3YvqYKRpQAiZeB_Bs2sqSmm76ypK3lDtoOktyuCGRKpHyP0WSDKqVfpig0RI7ayvMunEOYCIwZCSJt8H33Rwx_SEVpkyKtWl94SvPy-XmIzzVmcSPzS2mqxsLAZk1nRZKoCf24sAyJQYP1Q-Tcd56HQItZnhL6VirkuYivfIySU-W5PYxFjtvJdxcWETrTRUinscAkHaM5mLYIqnwpGSucbkoLk8RNbWD0b6eLvufLZWI8x3oS-hBWqma8_YM0sNX613c0uJhywjf04XtYMemltUBtk9MlLnlep-dudy8vAcuoeFYvAT6l8lu7sBwPmFeAQ6Crl83xl5xT9o345TXs=w370-h657-no

Last night, Tyee Pool. Bad way to catch, but great way to fish!
Super Dave racing a cruise ship. Remember, all guys in black hats are not bad guys. Thanks for the blog Dave!

Can't see any pics, just the little black box with an x in the middle.

You're not posting x-rated pics are you?? Lol

Take care.

Well here we are on a Monday morning and a few fish have been caught.

Last evening saw a 27 1/2 pounder weighed in by Landon Mackie, the whippersnapper who was Tyee Man last year, rowed by Dad Mike Mackie.

I swear someone needs to video Mike out rowing to see what he is doing that makes him so good.

Last nite I rowed old pal Burt, who caught a 35 with me the first time he ever tried for Tyee, back in 2012.

I've managed to keep him fish-free since, but he still goes out with me.

Saturday I had FishAssassin in the boat and we dragged a plug around, mostly did a long slow back-troll from south to north as the ebb current picked up.

No action for us and nothing notable from anyone else either.

But fish are arriving and with three undersized ones this morning, I'm really hopeful that tonite will be the nite.

I'm rowing my best pal Peter tonite and he's not a very experienced rod-holder, so I'm sure we'll hook something. LOL

Hope everyone doing well and giving sore lips to many fish. I hear it's been good in other fisheries.

Take care.

I'm rowing my best pal Peter tonite and he's not a very experienced rod-holder, so I'm sure we'll hook something. LOL

I have never seen "beginners luck" occur so much as in the Tyee pool. I lost three my first two times out. Including a bent hook on one the guide figured was a hog. Same year his wife caught the top Tyee of the year followed by getting run over by a power boat.

I have never seen "beginners luck" occur so much as in the Tyee pool. I lost three my first two times out. Including a bent hook on one the guide figured was a hog. Same year his wife caught the top Tyee of the year followed by getting run over by a power boat.

I having been trying for years to get a Chinook in the pool. The closest I have come was a big hog on a run that broke the large stainless hook off at the eye on the huge spoon the guide was using. At this point I would be happy with an under size. I have countless hours of salt water salmon fishing experience and lots of big Chinook under my belt. One of my brothers who almost never fishes, went out and got a Tyee on his first trip and has his name in the book, something he reminds me of, once in a while.

Last edited:
Rockfish, your problem is you've got too many chinook under your belt. If your were, for example, somebodies brother visiting from the interior who really too stoned to give a rats butt about fishies, you would get a tyee come up and swallow your spoon as it dangled beside the gunnel with no weight attached.

Peter will be here in a minute or two but I'll just add that all three Tyee I have rowed came to first-timers.

None had ever been in a Tyee rowboat before and none took more than an hour to hook up a Tyee.

A few of my long-suffering rod-holders have been out a dozen times with me over six years or so and we can't buy a strike.

Weird..................................and capricious.

I dig it.

Take care.

Tuesday's report shows no fish caught last night and none this morning either.

But, true to my prediction about "hooking up" with Peter, we did.

I decided to try a spoon I'd never towed before as the water seemed more spoon-friendly at the slack, so away we went.

Peter was doing a great job and following instructions as well as anyone with two Masters and a Bachelor's degree can, given his obvious mental capacity, and he was quick to strike a nano-second before I yelled "Hit it!" as we passed the bar at the south end.

I pulled hard for a couple of strokes as I watched for the tell-tale throb of a good fish, all the while with line peeling off the reel.

"I think it's bottom," Peter informed me. "It's not a fish."

I might have said a bad word, but realized that circling the snag might shake it loose, so circle it we did.

It didn't let go. I tried a couple of other angles, but no success.

"Clamp down on it and I'll pull us hard enough to break off," I instructed. "Don't worry about losing the spoon."

Peter clamped down and I started pulling away from the snag.

The line didn't break and Peter thought he felt something let go, so I kept up the rowing and we slowly moved a bit, but the line wouldn't break.

Puzzled not a small amount, we both wondered just what was going on, until the answer appeared some 20' behind us, as a large Bull Kelp bulb broke the surface.

Keeping a steady and even pull, Peter slowly drew the tail end of the piece of kelp close to the surface. We'd snagged it several feet above the Holdfast, which anchors Bull Kelp to the bottom, and the hook was simply wrapped around the stem and not even hooked into it, thus allowing it to both hold like crazy but also slide when the angle changed.

Turned out to be the biggest complete Bull Kelp I've ever brought to boat-side, and as I had several witnesses to this event I am now crowning myself winner of the Biggest Bull Competition of 2019. :p

Top that Mike Mackie!! :D

Take care.

Last edited:
...<stuff clipped> We'd snagged it several feet above the Holdfast, which anchors Bull Kelp to the bottom, and the hook was simply wrapped around the stem and not even hooked into it, thus allowing it to both hold like crazy but also slide when the angle changed.

Turned out to be the biggest complete Bull Kelp I've ever brought to boat-side, and as I had several witnesses to this event I am now crowning myself winner of the biggest Bull Competition of 2019. :p
I'm afraid that snagged bull kelp doesn't meet the club's official bull kelp rules which state that the kelp must willingly take the hook. ;)

Getting that catch and release bull up to the boat is a good accomplishment Dave, especially on 20lb test. When you are ready for the big leagues, on our end of the island we have carefully managed our kelp for some trophy class kelp fishing. Come on down and we will see if we can hooked you up with a Tyee class Kelp Island, big enough to land a helicopter on, while it is racing by in a 6 knot current in the fog. We are expecting a DFO study soon to see if it can replace Chinook fishing.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that snagged bull kelp doesn't meet the club's official bull kelp rules which state that the kelp must willingly take the hook. ;)

Curse you!!

I was so sure I was finally a winner too.

Stupid rules!! :D

Take care.

Getting that catch and release bull up to the boat is a good accomplishment Dave, especially on 20lb test. When you are ready for the big leagues, on our end of the island we have carefully managed our kelp for some trophy class kelp fishing. Come on down and we will see if we can hooked you up with a Tyee class Kelp Island, big enough to land a helicopter on, while it is racing by in a 6 knot current in the fog. We are expecting a DFO study soon to see if it can replace Chinook fishing.

Ha!

My favorite times surfing at JR back in the day came in October usually, when you had the first good swells appear and they would tear up the kelp that proliferated during the summer.

I distinctly recall dropping in on a good wave, cranking a bottom turn and immediately noticing a large table sized accumulation of kelp being sucked up the face of the wave right in my way.

Does the term "butt over tea-kettle" ring a bell??

The worst part was having the whole mess wrap me up, along with my leash and board, buried somewhere in the mess.

Quite a struggle getting free from it.

That south island kelp is mean I tell ya, mean.

Take care.

I'm starting a rumour that FishAssassin is limp-wristed, based on the whining and crying I endured last evening as he tried to outlast this little undersize.

In his defense, this was the hardest fighting 26 pounder I've been involved with and actually ran so far that it almost got in front of a crew who were so far away initially we didn't even bother to call "fish on" as they seemed safe enough and no sense making guys stop their efforts if not required.

Our apologies for that.

But geepers we thought we might have the first of the year by the way it fought and how strong it was.

Owen did actually whine a bit about needing a bigger arbor reel so he didn't have to reel so hard and fast.

He loved the sound of the Longstone as the fish peeled off the line though. So did I.

I thought I had warmed him up enough earlier as he was quick on the strike of what turned out to be a cute little Ling Cod about a foot and a half long, the first I've hooked in the pool I think.

So, since being disqualified in the catch and release Bull Kelp contest, due to some obscure rule infraction or some such thing, I'm now claiming us to be Lords Of The Ling for 2019.

That Lucky Louie Shovelnose has had seven strikes on it now, nine if you count the Cabezon last year and the Ling this year.

Best gift ever in the way of plugs.

Take care.

RSCN5824.JPG

So, somewhat based on the old adage that: "Fishermen aren't born liars, but they soon recover from it.", it appears I've been challenged on my Lord Of The Lings claim, so I offer photographic evidence of the catch as well as showing the plug still hooked in the fish. Take that BM.

It didn't fight much and I restrained Owen from yelling FISH ON when he struck it, but it was hooked fair and square and not snagged like my record sized Bull Kelp was.

I'm going after a big one again tonite with a fly guy, so we just may hook up with something different. You never know.

Take care.

RSCN5826.JPG

For whom the bell tolls, I know not. But it rang twice tonight as a 30 was followed by a 34, the first two of this season, and right on schedule.

I'll have details tomorrow as that's all I know for now.

Oh, and the pool was alive with Pinks tonight so the Campbell should see a bunch shortly.

Take care.

Well men, it appears the women have outdone us this year, as both the first Tyee of the year and the second Tyee of the year fell victim to feminine charms, but with men on the oars of course. LOL

Here's Meagan Dougan with her squeaker Tyee at 30 lbs. on the new scale at the clubhouse. She was rowed by Mike Dougan and the fish fell for a plug.
Good going to the Dougans.

Tyee1.jpg

A bit late but with a beauty fish of 34 pounds, here's Roma Boutilier with her catch of the night, rowed by Floyd Ross and taken with a plug.

Tyee2.jpg

So we have some fish it would appear and all that remains is for me to get my 55 pounder and all will be good.

(I'm catching Tyee incrementally and have a 35 and a 45, now I need a 55 to have a nice lifetime achievement.) Ha ha.

Anyway, a big WELL DONE from me to the ladies, and the rowers who got them hooked up.

And so it goes.

We'll get'em tonight.

Take care.

Last edited:
I heard it was a Mother and Daughter duo of bell ringers Dave! That must be another award for them

Back