Tales From The Tyee Pool........2018

Here's the BEFORE pic of the boat on its way to some heavy massaging.
SSCN5452.JPG
Here's what she looks like completely gutted.
RSCN5451.JPG
And here's a few of the pieces after sanding and a coat of expensive varnish has been applied.
It's going to look great when finished and I'm looking forward to that.
RSCN5450.JPG

And thank you all for the kind comments. Obviously I enjoy doing this annual thread and am looking forward to the arrival of the fish with bated breath. (can't use baited breath in the Tyee Pool.) LOL

Also looking forward to seeing some old rod-holders and hopefully a few new ones too.

All the best.

Take care.

Well Dave another season is upon us, and looking forward to reading your play by play on tales from the pool? Good luck this season will be seeing you out there.

Hey Bobber, how're things??

Looking forward to the season too and still heart-broken over your near miss for the Daily Double last year.

Might have been the last chance anyone will have at it now, what with the one fish per day per angler rule.

Anyway, see ya out there and good luck to you too.

Take care.

Dave, what varnish are you using?

#1015 Captain's Varnish .....Pettit brand plus another whose name I can't recall and the can is at Chris's place.

I'll grab it tomorrow and let you know.

Open to recommendations here though.

Take care.

Dave, what varnish are you using?

The other varnish is Schooner Gold by Interlux which supposedly has advanced UV technology and all that.

Not sure which one is better as yet but they aren't cheap.

Boat is "curing" today as it was still a bit sticky this AM.

Going to look pretty good methinks and I'll post some pics later.

Take care.

As threatened, here are a couple of pics of the rowboat all shined up and ready to row.

Bad lighting effects in the first pic but in the second one of the rod-holders area you can see how she looks a lot better than in the before pic I posted a few days back.

The third pic shows my throne from which I survey all whilst calmly acting like I know what I'm doing.

On rare occasions we blunder into a fish and it's those moments that make it all worth-while.

My favorite gal-pal and I shall be launching the boat tomorrow morning when it's a bit cooler and I would be hugely remiss if I didn't thank Chris Cook for doing the majority of the work on my boat this year, penance I made him pay for catching the first Tyee last year just before I was about to.

That'll teach him.

Looking forward to beginning the dance soon so if any of you guys want to book a date or two now's the time to contact me.

In the meantime, stay cool and out of the noonday Sun.

RSCN5493.JPG RSCN5494.JPG RSCN5495.JPG

Take care.

As threatened, here are a couple of pics of the rowboat all shined up and ready to row.

Bad lighting effects in the first pic but in the second one of the rod-holders area you can see how she looks a lot better than in the before pic I posted a few days back.

The third pic shows my throne from which I survey all whilst calmly acting like I know what I'm doing.

On rare occasions we blunder into a fish and it's those moments that make it all worth-while.

My favorite gal-pal and I shall be launching the boat tomorrow morning when it's a bit cooler and I would be hugely remiss if I didn't thank Chris Cook for doing the majority of the work on my boat this year, penance I made him pay for catching the first Tyee last year just before I was about to.

That'll teach him.

Looking forward to beginning the dance soon so if any of you guys want to book a date or two now's the time to contact me.

In the meantime, stay cool and out of the noonday Sun.

View attachment 39154 View attachment 39155 View attachment 39156

Take care.
She looks like a new pin Dave, now it’s time to fish her. Was a nice night out there last night Dave, 3 other boats out there with us.

Mostly just to bump the thread here's a pic of the boat at her mooring.

Got all the gear on her, cleaned up a couple of plugs, got my hook harnesses in order, polished a few spoons and checked the tides.

Darn near ready to go. LOL

RSCN5502.JPG

All we need are some fish.

Take care.

Looking very sharp Dave, good work!

Credit to Chris Cook for harassing me into doing it properly and then doing most of it himself. :D

See you guys in a week or two I hope.

Take care.

Love this thread. Good luck, sir. I look forward to reading about the bell being rung from your rowing.

Cheers

Awesome stuff!! LMAO at Mike's admonitions.

And you'll only be forgiven if you share some more with us.

Actually, I'd be stoked if some of you others here shared stories reasonably relevant to the Tyee Pool and encourage you all to do so.

Thanks and.................

Take care.
Love reading this thread. Two stories on about good fortune and one about being fortunate

We have two awesome tyee paint prints in our home. My wife's father AND mother were both fortunate enough to land a tyee, guided by John and Rob Bell-Irving respectively. The better of the two tales is that John went to Joe Watson asking for advice about getting fish to stay hooked. Joe tied him up a rig and off they went. My father-in-law was pseudo-narcoleptic and was actually sleeping when the rod twitched. A great job hitting the oars and the hook was set...and a 47# was landed!

IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1581.JPG

Years later, my wife and I were returning to April Point from an evening row in the pool. A very large commercial vessel bore down on us, creating a wake that broke into our boat...motor came off, tackle floated everywhere and we were fortunate enough to make it to a rocky outcrop where we we rescued off the rock by a couple in a Boston Whaler nearby.

There is a few rowers out in the pool the last few days, like seeing it live on the camera(my wife says I’m a little obsessed lol) but hey being a province away it’s the next best thing until I get back there. Couple weeks to go! I’m thinking the first fish is coming close now it’s only a matter of time until the bell goes off! But my tyee is still getting fatter out in the ocean waiting for my arrival!

A new year!

Just a few things;

The Tyee Clubhouse is open to the public! This means YOU! Swing by for a tour, and some high quality golden fishing BS! The clubhouse and grounds look awesome, thanks to Bob and Judy.

New branded t shirts, hats and stanfields are in for 2018. They go quick. I already got my yearly clothing allowance so now I can tell others about it.

Safety first. No motors in the Tyee Pool zone, and everyone is encouraged to wear a life jacket.

Dave, you have done a huge amount of PR for the club, in telling the public who we are, what we do, and why we do it. The club is almost 100yrs old, and without continued support (from guys like you) it will die. It's Campbell Rivers oldest (non First Nationas) history, and has become way more than a fishing club. A sincere Thank-you Dave and have a great year!

Back