Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

Dave H

I'm not a morning person so I missed the first boat out this morning but I'm told it was guide Rick from Painters, whose picture I posted last year as I recall.

Anyway, here's boat number two with one member and one who wants to be a member giving it a whirl. Note lack of engine, but made up for by enthusiasm, although it's hard to discern in this pic. LOL

My boat's not in the water yet as I have to go to Victoria tomorrow to retrieve some gear lent to a buddy and given the early time of season, there's no rush.

I'll be calling my regular rod-holders as we get along a bit and I'm hoping we'll have a much better year than we did last year.

How could we not? LOL

More to come from your faithful reporter and tight lines to everyone.

Take care.

I think my favourite thread of the year. Thanks, Dave. Looking forward to the read. [emoji41]

I'd really like to try this out sometime. Is there a place a guy can rent a boat? Do you have to hire a rower?

I'd really like to try this out sometime. Is there a place a guy can rent a boat? Do you have to hire a rower?

PM me your phone number and I'll set you up.

Take care.

As an excuse to bump this thread I'm able to report the first fish taken from the pool a couple of nights ago by one of our more keen rowers name of Jules.

Goofing around with a home-made spoon fashioned after the old Ghandi aka Gandy spoon used back in the day he managed a small Chinook estimated at 18 lbs or so.

No Tyee yet of course but we should be getting close.

My boat will go in the water this weekend and my first crew arrives next Tuesday from Victoria trying for an early one.

Pray for rain.

Take care.

As already stated; an absolute favourite thread===We have never met but I feel I know you through your engaging tales and obvious love of the game: so here's hoping for a much better year at the pool. Keep em coming Dave!!

Couldn't think of a better place to post my experience, I know we all wait for Daves updates and thought I would share mine. I had a row last night with Bruce "the goose" Aikmans through the pool.
What a stellar experience. No fish this night but an extremely good time was had.
Bruce was a pro and extremely efficient. His love for the tradition of the pool and club was infectious. He is a third generation rower with family ties running deep in the tackle industry.
We fished 3 different plugs and one spoon, we ended with an old school wooden "Lucky Louie". I had just finished reading Van Eagans "Tyee" so was very excited knowing the history and tradition of the club.
It was surreal to hit the cobble before the pool began, take our seats and row into the pool. As the tide shifted and moved it was unreal how the currents changed and the lure worked as the boat barely moved or we were scooting along.
Bruce worked the pool and shared his history of the area which was fascinating. The pool was alive with Chinook fry, a young seal from the Painters dock, Eagles and Cranes, only our quarry was missing, yet our eyes were glued to the tip of my rod even with our headlamps on.
Bruce even used beeswax on the slip weights from the same farm that had been around for decades providng this for the guides.

What at a true angling experience and privilege it was to fish with Bruce and go through the pool. I recommend it to all of you, I will be back, a little later next time and ready to watch the pulse of the rod tip.

Today we we went to the clubhouse and looked around, talked to the weigh master and last years "Tyee Man of the Year" and bought a couple of souvenirs.

Thanks Bruce and look for ward to the reports Dave.

Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great report Guy and I'm stoked you had fun with Bruce.
He's quite the character and I always enjoy BSing with him.

I consider myself lucky as can be that I knew Van Egan from 1962, when he was my Biology 91 teacher at CARIHI, until he passed away.
We became friends as adults later in life and he and Maxine were always very kind and gracious to me for which I shall be always grateful.
I had lunch with him on the last Tuesday of his life, as he passed early Thursday morning shortly thereafter.
A wonderful man.

Well we finally got the boat in with a slightly different mooring set-up visible in the pic as they are flagged for nighttime use. It's usually dark when we get in and often the driver is new so that should help out I hope.

Three guys arriving tomorrow for a few tides so the kinks will get worked out shortly.

Thanks for the encouraging words from you all too. I appreciate them and enjoy this annual meeting also.

Take care.

Boat is looking good Dave! Best of luck this year, it's looking like it might be a good season ahead

Hope to have a chance again, it really is an experience, fish or no fish.

It's 9:30 Tuesday and the boys are still out along with a half dozen others but I'm guessing the bell won't ring tonite.
Three pals from Victoria are up for an early go and the guy rowing is already in the club, which is why he's rowing.

Here's a pic I call: Checking The Beat........for obvious reasons. When rowing you are always watching the rod tips trying to read whether the plug or spoon is working properly and often you're ducking around one or the other rod-holder for a better view.

Lovely evening missing only the presence of the mighty Tyee.

As to contrails??

Heck yes, we got 'em.

Some days the only "clouds" we see are the remains of the numerous contrails that pass over us as we are under the major flyway heading west.

Supposed to have a slight cooling effect, but you'd never know it. LOL

Take care.

If anyone is looking for Bead Chains with the small eye Berry's Bait & Tackle in Richmond carries them I just bought some.

That item was very hard to find for a while but now Berry's buys them in bulk and sells them in smaller quantities-trying to find those items in their online catalogue is a little wonky I suggest calling them up and asking they'll ship anywhere.

http://www.berrysbait.com/

No fish to report as yet but here's a couple of recent pics of the Tyee Club dock and the newest boat in the fleet, a Ken Fletcher built beauty featuring Cherry wood and some beautiful decorative inserts and stuff. Sorry about the reflection near the bow.
Also has a built-in electrical system with small solar panel to keep battery charged up.
I thought my boat was pretty but this may be prettier. It's number six for Ken I think and he's getting better all the time.

I can hardly wait to see some blood in it.

Quite a few of the crew are putting their boats on the dock now and I suspect effort will pick up considerably after we get past this long weekend.

Took my boat over to pal Peter's place next to Painters last nite and took a quick pic of their fleet. Several boats were still out and fishing reports I'm hearing are pretty good.
Angler optimism is permeating the Tyee clubhouse these days. LOL

Take care.

Last edited:
So yesterday some poor guy lost his engine and was forced to ground his boat just south of the pool.
Unfortunately it was several hours before low tide so this is how things looked when I first saw the situation.
The pickup and trailer waited quite some time before abandoning that plan and in the end another boat helped them pull free and then a couple of guys walked the boat southward.
One guy on the boat and a couple of guys on the beach with a long line.
I left and didn't witness the end but they're gone now.

Very windy the past few days with very little effort.
Here's Jules out last nite and Randy K giving it a valiant effort earlier today.

Tough going and he didn't last long.

Jules.

Randy and rodholders.

Take care.

We have fish, but no Tyee yet.

RK weighed a 28 1/2 couple of days ago and NL had a 27.

Jules hooked one that ran madly and broke him off thereby taking his spoon with it. He was fishing alone, as was NL, who had quite the time getting the 27 I'm told.

I'm typing this before checking things this morning so I could be behind the news already, but I'll check it out soon.

Take care.

We have a TYEE.

31 pounds about an hour or so ago by the hardest working rower in the pool, Randy K.

Don't know how many years he's rowed the first of the season but it's a good number.

It's on.

Take care.

Back