Tahsis in the spring

Reel Knotty

I've never fished out of Tahsis before, but my girlfriend talked me into driving up so she can visit a friend. I was toying with dragging my little 16 ft tinny along and try some fishing. I was hoping for a bit of safety ie: Tahsis Inlet, Esperanza inlet- do they blow up hard in the day from thermals like the PA canal or do they mostly stay flatter. Also does the tide rip hard through Tahsis Narrows? I'm not finding much info on fishing up that way and just looking at charts to guage the worth and safety. I'm hoping there would be some fishing on inside sheltered waters in late April-mid May. (we haven't set a date)Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

I worked out there last spring. The winds can blow up on ya like anywhere but we never encountered anything crazy. There are lots of little bays and log dumps to duck into if u think u need to hide. Had decent prawning all over the inlet but didn't get a chance to go fishing. Damn work!

if you have not been to thasis,, be prepared for a long run out to the grounds and better yet a long run back.. this is the only downfall for the area...black rock 50 feet, with a chovie...16' sounds big enough if the weather is good. crabbin and prawnin is always good.

Stay completely away from March, unless you have “days” to choose around the weather. I have actually been there in March and caught in nothing short of a blizzard. Check and watch your weather. You can still have lots of snow on the road and in the passes even in April. There are and you should find inside sheltered waters in late April-mid May to fish.

You won’t have any problems with Tahsis Inlet, depending on weather it should be flat as glass, that is unless you get a good hard southerly blow. It will get some wind chop in the afternoons. Esperanza inlet is usually about the same. You can get some wind white caps in the afternoons, but it is usually quite flat. Just west of Centre Island you start picking up the ocean swells. The tide certainly moves through the Narrows; however, when you say “rip”? I guess the best way to answer that is; I have never had any problems going through the Narrows, during any tide, with any boat, at any time!

Not so sure about the crabbing in and around Tahsis comment? Good luck on that one! You might catch a crab or two, but that whole area would be a very hit and miss proposition, and most miss! You will find some in Tahsis Inlet farther south, but unless you know those areas or see pots - Good luck! BTW... There is better crabbing in Espinosa Inlet.

McBride Bay is and will be the best prawning. It should actually be very good in April and May, just look for the prawn traps. If none is there, both north and south sides of McBride in about 300 feet. I personally prefer the south side. Use lots of bait, put some weight in the pots. Most traps are lost from tides and currents, so watch those.

At that time of year – and if you don’t want to make the run out, I would definitely fish Tahsis Narrows! I have caught salmon on both north and south sides of Tahsis Narrows and it can be productive. Think about that… All salmon returning via the north of Nootka have to pass through Tahsis Narrows! That just might be way DFO shuts the Narrows down every July 15! I prefer trolling the north side, close to shore (and it will be close), in about 90 ft of water. Look for the white starboard hand beacon and troll between that and the starboard hand light. On the south side, look for the port hand light and troll in about 90 feet. I wouldn’t fish and would stay out of the north bay (known as Daffodil Bay, you will see the cottage), as I have never caught any salmon in the bay. There is a little bay on the south side also, where the center comes up to about 30 feet. Troll around the shallow water areas, NOT in or through them. Staying on the edges and in the deeper waters in that 80-100 foot range. You will see those areas on the charts. BTW… the largest red snapper I have ever caught was in the Daffodil Bay in 400 feet of water, right on bottom.

Unless it is really windy, the waters from Tahsis all the way to Centre Island should be and will be flat, until that afternoon wind chop. You will start picking up ocean swells just west of Centre Island. The best salmon fishing in Esperanza Inlet, is “Rosa,” “Double Island” and “Black Rock.” I would also probably fish them in that order, unless you are after Coho, then I would head for Black Rock first. Rosa and Double Island have produced some nice Chinook. The whole Black Rock area, is one of my favorites for Coho. I have had very good luck at those area, at that time of year.

From Westview Marina gas dock, it is 17 nautical miles to Rosa Island (can be good fishing), 20 nautical miles to Pin Rock (that is on the outside and can be good fishing), 23 nautical miles to Ferrer Point (My favorite and has always been good fishing). If you do go outside, get out your charts, as that area is rocks, rocks, and more rocks! But, it could very well be worth the trip and that IS where I would be going – very early in the morning on the incoming tide!

Halibut can be really good that early in the year at slack tide, in the areas just south the Whistle Buoy to the north side of the channel, especially between and around the areas of N49 46.662 W12702.547 and N49 48.063 W127 06.107. Notice I said between and around the areas – still have to find the fish? And if you have a strong tide – forget it, just go salmon fishing!

If you do go outside (and I don’t care what kind of boat it is), watch that weather close and I would suggest, find someone to run with! The winds will normally start picking up sometime after 11:00 AM. I would highly suggest one in a 16-foot boat be back in protected waters, prior to those winds picking up! Also, trust me on this one… Once you leave Tahsis, it could be, can be, and probably will be a long time before you can get any help, from anyone! That time of year, that is NOT the area to venture far by one’s self - A float plan would be highly recommended!

Hope this helps. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent write Charlie....... It would have to be pretty damn flat before Id adventure past the surf line in a 16' boat and doubt I would do it even with another boat. Summer with tons of boats around mabye. Besides theres lots of places to fish etc on the inside. I will be up there by the second week of May. When are you headed there

Cheers ME

Sorry for the delay getting back, got swamped. Thanks for that great in-depth report and other good tips. Makes me look forward to it even more.

Charlie covered it pretty good, wow. One thing I like about Ferrier pt is if a storm ever hit out of the north or NW and you get caught, there is Louis Bay just to the east 1/4 to 1/2 mile with the ultimate protection. It's where the float planes drop hikers off for the Nootka Island trail if they're starting on the north end.

I've never fished out of Tahsis before, I'm hoping there would be some fishing on inside sheltered waters in late April-mid May. (we haven't set a date)Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

We were up at Cougar Creek about this time of year, the year before last. We were lonely - no one there but us. But the sun was shining, the water was flat and we were shucking and eating oysters and mussels right off the beach - with just a little hot sauce: Heaven. We drove in with the camper only, so no fishing that weekend.

We were back in early July at Moutcha Bay Resort (Tlupana Inlet) for two weeks and then at the Leiner River campsite for two weeks (boat at Westview). It is a long run to the outside, but if the weather is good and you're up early, Bajo Reef is great. Don't stay out there past 11:00 am because the wind does come up. Watch the weather. We had lots of great fishing inside, in the vicinity of where Muchalat Inlet converges with Tahsis and Tlupana and the channels (Hanna, Zuciarte and Cook).

Even if you don't fish :( , the scenery is spectacular and Tahsis is a cool little town - "A drinking town with a fishing problem" on the tee shirts... and great prices on nice single malts at the grocery store / cafe on the right, as you drive into town. The tire store offers quick service too - good tires and a spare are mandatory.
We heard this wierd noise one evening at the campsite. We wandered out to the road to see a guy driving in with his boat trailer running on the rims!

We were up at Cougar Creek about this time of year, the year before last. We were lonely - no one there but us. But the sun was shining, the water was flat and we were shucking and eating oysters and mussels right off the beach - with just a little hot sauce: Heaven. We drove in with the camper only, so no fishing that weekend.

We were back in early July at Moutcha Bay Resort (Tlupana Inlet) for two weeks and then at the Leiner River campsite for two weeks (boat at Westview). It is a long run to the outside, but if the weather is good and you're up early, Bajo Reef is great. Don't stay out there past 11:00 am because the wind does come up. Watch the weather. We had lots of great fishing inside, in the vicinity of where Muchalat Inlet converges with Tahsis and Tlupana and the channels (Hanna, Zuciarte and Cook).

Even if you don't fish :( , the scenery is spectacular and Tahsis is a cool little town - "A drinking town with a fishing problem" on the tee shirts... and great prices on nice single malts at the grocery store / cafe on the right, as you drive into town. The tire store offers quick service too - good tires and a spare are mandatory.
We heard this wierd noise one evening at the campsite. We wandered out to the road to see a guy driving in with his boat trailer running on the rims!
? Posted: 03-30-2011 09:14 AM
I've never fished out of Tahsis before, but my girlfriend talked me into driving up so she can visit a friend. I was toying with dragging my little 16 ft tinny along and try some fishing. I was hoping for a bit of safety ie: Tahsis Inlet, Esperanza inlet- do they blow up hard in the day from thermals like the PA canal or do they mostly stay flatter. Also does the tide rip hard through Tahsis Narrows? I'm not finding much info on fishing up that way and just looking at charts to guage the worth and safety. I'm hoping there would be some fishing on inside sheltered waters in late April-mid May. (we haven't set a date)Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.
HE, might have it figured out by now, you think? :):)

? Posted: 03-30-2011 09:14 AM

HE, might have it figured out by now, you think?

Holmes said today - 04/04/12 @ 7:26 a.m. : "good info charlie, anyone have anything else to add?, for a newbie to the area...mucho gracious in advance....holmes"

Sorry, Charlie - guess I missed the cut-off. :D

foxsea, i used to work at critter cove for 7 yrs and know south nootka like the back of my hand, i now work at rodgers and have never really fished up here b4, ferrer, black rock, pin rock,etc, so just wondering if there is an early run of fish here, heading for such and such a river....i will deffinately be going for hali when i get back here after the weekend..just trying to familiarize myself with all the names and areas and regs...flyin in and out sure helps a lot as you can get a good sense of where everything is in relation to each other....holmes*

Holmes: Hope you're having a great Easter weekend and that you're entertaining a Bunny to celebrate! ;)

We fished there one season - first from Moutcha Bay (when they were building the new Lodge) in early July 2010, then over to the Leiner River Campsite (free!) with the boat 10 minutes away at the Marina. Moutcha's a long run to the outside, as you know. We did lots of fishing around the Bligh Island Area: Camel Rock, Hoiss and Strange. We would go out to the outside of Bajo, Maquinna or Burdwood in about 150 - 180' when the weather was good or we were feeling brave, :eek: always early - it was good to us: hali's and nice springs were regulars - just trolling, although some guys anchor for a bit. Out that way, Ferrier's also good, of course.

We also fished a fair bit around the Friendly area if the weather was not cooperating or waiting for fog to lift. I believe all the fish further up Tlupana are heading to the Conuma River - a big hatchery run. Also going to the Gold and Leiner Rivers further out. I have never fished there this early but one year I'll fix that oversight. I'll have to get in a plane one day, too. That area is spectacular! Good on ya. I'm a lot envious. Have a good one! :cool:

Anybody ever been to that beach south of Ferrier Pt? On the outside, looks on google earth maybe 3 miles or so down the coast. My cousin used to land by float plane on that fresh water lake just inland from it, then hike to the beach through the bush. They used to find cool stuff there like old shipwreck artifacts. Just wondering if anyone has beached a boat there, it looks somewhat protected.

Back