Tahsis/Esperanza - Crabbing?

tyeeking

I'll be heading up for a week of fishing Aug. 11th with my brother. This will be our third annual trip to the area . . . we absolutely love it. Good fishing, beautiful scenery and friendly people . . . can't ask for more than that. Well maybe. Is there any decent crabbing to be had in the area even if it's just for a few to make a dinner. I never see any at the dock nor is there much disucssion about the crabbing on the forums here

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have you ever thought about taking prawn traps? :)

The crabbing is a little sparse in the area, especially in August. You can get a few, but you really need to know where. Your best bet will be in Tahsis Inlet (farther from town the better, down between the Pile Dolphin and the south end of Strange Island, probably your best bet), north end of Espinosa Inlet (south of the tribal area), and Rolling Roadstead (just west of the base of Leading Hill, around the rocks). Other than that… I have had some luck offshore, but you are more apt to catch a shark, starfish, or an octopus, then a crab!

If you really want to try, remember that area has the largest population of sea otters on the WCVI and they love crab. A sea otter can dive up to approximately 60 feet, so you have to drop the pots below that depth, or get in any area free of otters. The otters keep the adult crabs pretty much in check, but if you want to see something really amazing drop a prawn trap in Nuchatlitz (by Lord Island) and let it soak for 2 or 3 hours. When you pull it… it will be full of baby Dungeness crab!

Make sure you use fresh bait and you have to get a lot of scent out. Lots of salmon guts are good, but that will also attract the sharks, and a green light will help immensely! And, with all this information, you might get a couple of "keepers", but will more than likely get a couple of small "females", which you will get to throw back!

If they are any sea otters in the area there will be few crabs to be found. Learned that the hard way in Kyuquot.

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

If they are any sea otters in the area there will be few crabs to be found. Learned that the hard way in Kyuquot.

No kidding! I almost got laughed out off the dock when I asked about crabbing last year in the close vicinity to Kyuquot. ;)

I haven't dropped a crab trap in a couple of years, but there is some crabbing around Tahsis.

Easiest bet is at the mouth of the Leiner River, just across the inlet from the Maquinna Resort - look for the floats. I like to drop in about 120' of water, but some will fish in less than 50' - Just watch out for the drop off when you throw the traps!

I'm told that Head Bay is full of crab, but never been up there - too far away from my fishing grounds.

Use fresh bait - Salmon heads, etc. and pellets work well.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks all for the info and honesty. I really appreciate that everyone is so willing to share info on here. I'll probably bring the pots and give it a shot but will do so with expectations clearly in check. I would like to give the prawning a try but will probably wait until the boat has an electric pot puller as I'd rather save the back for the tyee's.

The early salmon reports are sure encouraging. Please save a few for my August trip!!!

When you drop prawn traps in the area watch for slime eels. These eels work like ghost busters and will slime your prawns and boat with a gunk that should be harvested for its sticky qualities. If you get one or more in your trap don't take it out of the water but open it and try to release them under the water even if it means loosing some prawns. They are showing up more and more on the west coast.

PS don't be afraid to drop crab traps to 200t plus. Peege

Hagfish I think you are talking about . They are so brutal. Ghostbusters is close but with Hagfish you will deal with more slime than any human you have had to deal with ;)
The whole inside of the traps get slimed and its very difficult to clean them. Had problems with those in the Deer group in Barkley Sound a few years ago.

Uuuggghhh! Slime eels! :(

I saw a TV show about them a couple of years ago. Guy put one in a standard size bucket of water, and then hit the bucket with a hammer.

All of the water in the bucket turned to jell! It was a semi-solid mass of goo. [xx(]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Hi Jim , what the hell you doing on here, you should be tying anchovy leaders and then getting to bed early ;) !

Back