Tackle Storage for pre-rigged salmon lures ??

Folks Im wondering how you keep your lures stored so that the spoons and plugs can be pre tied and ready to go?

Most of my walleye stuff is wrapped around pool noodles but this does not work very well for the salmon gear.

Last year I met an old timer that had them wrapped around larger pieces of foam and said not to put them into a sealed box (for corrosion issues)

Im hoping to find a solution for hoochies, hali rigs, spoons and plugs. etc

Any info or pics would be great !!

Do you just wrap the line around your lure then before it goes in the tube ?

I don’t mind doing something like that as I won’t have 100 pre rigged, just my main stuff and a couple back ups, I can rig up the rest if it’s slow.

I’m not personally a big fan of using straws to contain/manage leaders. The line has memory and it will leave an accordion type action on it. I’ve seen it on video. The last few years I’ve been using yellow Rig Raps which are pretty slick. I pre-tie my spoon leaders and add a snap to the end. I have a few different types and both work well. You line is guaranteed to lie straight and spoon changes are a snap. Literally lol.

I got the neat snaps at saltywater tackle.

Attachments

• 7E632884-A254-4D2E-B27B-C39278EF2743.jpeg
    7E632884-A254-4D2E-B27B-C39278EF2743.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 45514389-5210-4A55-8724-CC0F58370660.jpeg
    45514389-5210-4A55-8724-CC0F58370660.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 6756C442-EF5D-4538-922D-EA8FCBD569B6.jpeg
    6756C442-EF5D-4538-922D-EA8FCBD569B6.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 3C34AEE9-D9D8-43E7-9711-A6433462C653.jpeg
    3C34AEE9-D9D8-43E7-9711-A6433462C653.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 258
  • B4545ACC-8DF7-4062-860D-6F2562E4FFEA.jpeg
    B4545ACC-8DF7-4062-860D-6F2562E4FFEA.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 251
Do you just wrap the line around your lure then before it goes in the tube ?

I don’t mind doing something like that as I won’t have 100 pre rigged, just my main stuff and a couple back ups, I can rig up the rest if it’s slow.

I just use bread twist ties or short pieces of straw to manage the leader side of things. I personally don't see any issue with good f carbon line being managed this way. You don't put force on it and bend it, you just wrap it up gentle and shove it in the tube.

I have done along the line as Stizzla.

Will take a picture later however in a nutshell this is my fix.

Go to a hardware store and pick up PVC piping and you can also buy foam pipe wrap that has a slit down the middle of it. I use the PVC pipe so the foam doesn't squish down too much and provide some rigidity. (when I did my first prototype I couldn't find foam pipe wrap as wide as Stizz's; in saying that if I could with a wider PVC pipe it would work great)

For hoochie rigs (I don't use swivels) I screwed screws into the PVC pipe about 2 inches apart in a line along the pipe then wrapped the foam so the screws are along the slit in the foam. Hoop the loop of the hoochie around the screw and wrap around the foam pipe sticking hooks in the foam.

For spoons and teaser rigs I leave the screws out as it's tough to find a small enough screw head to fit through the eye of a swivel. The foam wrap I buy has an adhesive component to it especially at the "slit". You can stick a swivel in the slit pushing it into the area where the adhesive meets the slit where there is an opening. The adhesive holds the swivel in place and you just wrap and stick the hook into the foam.

Bottom line if you can picture a long piece of foam with a long slit down it that would allow you to wrap around a pipe.....it comes with a peel away adhesive strip on each side of the cut. Cut it to a length you want with the PVC cut to match and voila....you're good to go. If the adhesive starts to fail after a few years of pushing swivels into it you can buy a 6'-8' length for under $10 and just replace. I've been using mine for 4 years now and it still works great. Quick and easy over the past years to unwrap whatever rig you want and you are ready to let the bait roll.

Handy thing is you just take the entire tube.....rinse it off and let it dry.

I have been doing the pool noodle thing for hoochies and teaser heads and it works ok. I don’t like the idea of wrapping spoons around the noodle, I’d like them to sit flat.

I haven’t tried the straw idea, might have to get some of those big 1/2 inch straws from 7/11 lol.

I have done along the line as Stizzla.

Will take a picture later however in a nutshell this is my fix.

Go to a hardware store and pick up PVC piping and you can also buy foam pipe wrap that has a slit down the middle of it. I use the PVC pipe so the foam doesn't squish down too much and provide some rigidity. (when I did my first prototype I couldn't find foam pipe wrap as wide as Stizz's; in saying that if I could with a wider PVC pipe it would work great)

For hoochie rigs (I don't use swivels) I screwed screws into the PVC pipe about 2 inches apart in a line along the pipe then wrapped the foam so the screws are along the slit in the foam. Hoop the loop of the hoochie around the screw and wrap around the foam pipe sticking hooks in the foam.

For spoons and teaser rigs I leave the screws out as it's tough to find a small enough screw head to fit through the eye of a swivel. The foam wrap I buy has an adhesive component to it especially at the "slit". You can stick a swivel in the slit pushing it into the area where the adhesive meets the slit where there is an opening. The adhesive holds the swivel in place and you just wrap and stick the hook into the foam.

Bottom line if you can picture a long piece of foam with a long slit down it that would allow you to wrap around a pipe.....it comes with a peel away adhesive strip on each side of the cut. Cut it to a length you want with the PVC cut to match and voila....you're good to go. If the adhesive starts to fail after a few years of pushing swivels into it you can buy a 6'-8' length for under $10 and just replace. I've been using mine for 4 years now and it still works great. Quick and easy over the past years to unwrap whatever rig you want and you are ready to let the bait roll.

Handy thing is you just take the entire tube.....rinse it off and let it dry.
That sounds pretty slick. Pics would be great...

yup, pool noodle, and a piece of it attached to my rear helm for what I am running that day. for quick change outs.

I store all of them bare.. no hooks .. only when i run them i leader them up and add the hooks... that way hooks always new and sharp and leader is fresh.. when im done i dump into this for a fresh water wash down and its ready to go the next day... :)

20190228_125841_resized.jpg

@Derby where was it you got the tubes from again? also the storage boxes you have for your spoons and the big containers that hold the spooner holder boxes?

I store all of them bare.. no hooks .. only when i run them i leader them up and add the hooks... that way hooks always new and sharp and leader is fresh.. when im done i dump into this for a fresh water wash down and its ready to go the next day... :)
I think it's awesome how @Derby has his tubes tied......errr.....I mean has tied stuff in his tubes. :po_O

I usually have 4 cases teaser heads tied up ready to go... :) with these for 2 cases of these as back ups ...
20190228_134342_resized.jpg

Back