Synthetic oil

Halilogger

I recently did a oil change on my Chevy Duramax, and I was surprised to see I'm getting almost a full litre better per 100km which doesn't quite cover the extra cost. I can how ever exceed the recommended 6000km oil change.
So one of the only ways I am getting slightly better fuel mileage is less friction? and there are a lot of other benefits to less friction.
Question is anyone tried or currently using synthetics in there outboard n now? cause I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

hey Kevin.....I've been useing synthetic in everything I own,car,truck,motorbike,both engines on boat(4.3ltr inboard and 9.9yamy), lawnmowers, ever since I tried it way back when for the first time on my wifes 98Envoy, she used it for work(salesperson) and puts on the miles on her vehicle. Heard good things about it and thought I'd try it, our Envoy was getting 18 mpg at best on hway, changed oil to synth and it bumped up to just under 22 mpg on computer in the vehicle(fuel mileage was not a concern company fuel card:p) but with that result I changed over to syth in everything. Another big difference I noticed was the oil stays SO very clean and as you mentioned "CAN" go longer between oil changes(but I dont)..

back to the Envoy, it had just over 300,000 km on it when we sold it to one of my best friends and he ran it for 3+ yrs, and my son just bought it back and it has almost 350,000 with on the 4.3lt engine and runs better than my 02 6.0lt with 100,000 on it!...I'm thinking I should give GM a call,they might be interested in getting it and tearing the 4.3 apart for research on wear and tear:rolleyes:;) as the engine is totally stock with only the plugs being changed on it now a few times

P.S. WinterHarbor/Cabin 3rd week in June??

Last edited by a moderator:
Took in my 07 Denali for service to Carter's here in Vancouver 2 weeks ago. Told them I was concerned about cold start lifter noise, its slight, but, I don't like it. They told me its normal with all the 6.2 litre GM gas motors, and, the best way to reduce the noise was putting synthetic in the motor. I guess its ligit now if GM is pushing it. My sense is it does adhere better to surfaces and that's what its all about.

Try Lucas oil treatment. I found it has helped older engines. Used to use a different product the old timers called 'Morreys' which was X15 at Napa long time ago.

I'm a believer in synthetics after living in the arctic ...ran it in everything.... a no brainer for cold climates.
I run semi synthetic Pennzoil XLF in my DFI Yamaha.
Is anyone running full synthetic in their 2 stroke DFI outboards.....any thoughts?

I have run nothing but Mercury quicksilver gold in my 200 h.p. evinrude since i bought it 3 years ago. Previous owner did teh same since new (1999). 600 hours to date and still seems pretty strong. Expensive for sure, but cheaper than replacement

Seems to be one of those 'go with what ya know works' situations.

Back