switfsure bank finfish closure question

sudsy

hey guys, I ran a search on here and couldn't get the info so putting it out to the masses to hopefully answer.

I am heading to port Renfrew next week for a fishing trip and have been looking through the regulations to educate myself. I have lived and fished in sooke for the last 7 years and this will be my first trip to Port Renfrew and want to make sure I have a good, legal and safe trip.

The regs state that swifsure bank is closed to finfish at the following coordinates

"Those portions of Subareas 121-1 and 121-2 inside a line from 48°34.00- north latitude and 125°06.00- west longitude to 48°34.00- north latitude and 124°54.20' west longitude, thence to 48°29.62- north latitude and 124°43.40-west longitude, thence following the International Boundary between Canada and the United States of America to 48°29.55-' north latitude and 124°56.20- west longitude, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement [Swiftsure Bank]"

I have heard through conversations with some friends that this is only closed to halibut at the above location. My interpretation is that it is a finfish closure so closed to all species (ie Salmon).

If anyone can shed some light on this or help point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any pointers to help guide me into some decent locations to start fishing for salmon near the bank that would also be great!

thanks,
Sudsy

The regs state that swifsure bank is closed to finfish at the following coordinates

"Those portions of Subareas 121-1 and 121-2 inside a line from 48°34.00- north latitude and 125°06.00- west longitude to 48°34.00- north latitude and 124°54.20' west longitude, thence to 48°29.62- north latitude and 124°43.40-west longitude, thence following the International Boundary between Canada and the United States of America to 48°29.55-' north latitude and 124°56.20- west longitude, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement [Swiftsure Bank]"

I have heard through conversations with some friends that this is only closed to halibut at the above location. My interpretation is that it is a finfish closure so closed to all species (ie Salmon).

You have more than one friend that thinks a salmon is not a 'finfish'? :eek:

Back