Swappable Leaders?

SaltyAlice

Howdy,

Wondering if anybody avoids tying leaders directly to their lures and instead has a library of leader lengths and weights that they simply clip on as needed. I know that it would add a bit of hardware to connect the like to the lure but it would afford flexibility and keep the tackle box nice and orderly. I’m thinking on the larger spoons it wouldn’t affect the action that much.

I usually have several blue foam leader holders with 40 on crane swivels for plugs and spoons, and 30lb on bead chains for bait. I don't use fluoro much so I tie them all 8 feet then tie on and clip however much off. Mono is cheap.
Hoochies are all predone in baggies. I have several items pre-tied for the first few hours.

I did that for last season with mixed results. Mostly I couldn't keep the leaders tidy when putting the gear away with led to some pretty nasty tangles/kinks and I did lose a few in and around the boat. All in all, I don't think it saved any time or leaders.

I use spectra line with a 30' 40# mono top shot; with the top shot being replaced at least yearly. Usually fish plugs & spoons & tie them direct to the top shot.
For bait/hoochie I put a swivel snap on the top shot. I like fluorocarbon as it is stiff - doesn't kink with bait & gives a hoochie more action; 30# for bait 50# for hoochie's.

I am not much of a lure swapper so the above works well for me.

I usually have several blue foam leader holders with 40 on crane swivels for plugs and spoons, and 30lb on bead chains for bait. I don't use fluoro much so I tie them all 8 feet then tie on and clip however much off. Mono is cheap.
Hoochies are all predone in baggies. I have several items pre-tied for the first few hours.
I use the blue foam boards as well

Back