Svi?

firelight

Quoted from Little Hawk

I took this out of Osama's thread cause it was so nice and civilized over there.
-------------------
Again, good on you Jeff for this decision to support our fisheries in the best way possible, and for putting it 'out there' to get some ideas from your fishing Bros'.

The aforementioned causes are indeed worthy of anyone's consideration to support, yet I remain particularly surprised - even dumbfounded - that no one here has given the SVI Anglers Coalition so much as honorable mention as a worthy recipient of a donation.

Yes, we are a fledgling Society, but our objectives are straight & true to the cause of the recreational angler and at the rate we are growing will soon be a force to be reckoned with as we carry the torch for the Peoples fish.

Thanks for the great post and inspiration you've given others.
-------------------

I think it's as simple as the name of the thing, this has been discussed before but you will still feel the effects of it until it changes. The SVI on the front of it is keeping a lot of fisherman from joining, I hear it all the time. People are really touchy about some stuff and this is one of them. I'm from Duncan ( or wherever ) not SVI, simple as that, if we can't be united over something so simple it's gonna be a hard road ahead.

Personally I'm not from SVI, (Gulf Islands), but I've joined anyway cause I need to do something and really $20, lets see what they can do with that.

Bamfield is not SVI ( even though it is) I think is the answer to the above quote.

I don't think it is the SVI in the name - it is the mission which states that they want to improve angling opportunities for SVI anglers. In other words, segregate the coast and focus on priority opportunity for the South.

If I'm not reading this correctly I would happily be corrected because I do believe that we need a collaborative effort to tackle the issues we are facing as a sector.

The group is doing good work that will benefit everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for your input here guys.

This very topic - a suitable name for the organization - has been and still is a subject of some debate amongst the Founders & Executive.

I suppose the logic is debatable but in truth, we stood by the SVI acronym for now as the South Island (which we consider - Nanaimo south to Victoria) is not well serviced by either the BCWF or the SFI. We're in sort of a 'gap on the map' as it were.

Regardless, the AC agenda - if you read the Constitution & Bylaws - and the structure of our organization is wired differently than either the BCWF or the SFI. Not knocking either of these great long-established institutions; just making it clear that we're different, that's all.

As the Anglers Coalition grows, are expansion plans in the works? Absolutely.

Again, thanks for the consideration.

"I don't think it is the SVI in the name - it is the mission which states that they want to improve angling opportunities for SVI anglers. In other words, segregate the coast and focus on priority opportunity for the South. "

You keep on talking and stirring the pot before you do your homework. Why not send an email to the group and get an answer before jumping to your own conclusions. You are doing more to segregate anglers on your own. Chris Bos would be happy to inform you of the short term and long term goals of the society for all anglers (salt and fresh) in BC. There are very valid reasons why they started with the South Island for the short term. I would strongly suggest that you and the others who may have questions attend the AGM on the 28th and hear it first hand.

Post retracted lol

I'm staying out of it lol

You've said this more than once lately. Glass houses.... stones...

And I mean it, there was no solution or informative information in that post beyond a personal attack on MY opinion which was articulated/corroborated by others.

Hell, it wasn't even negative; a simple suggestion. The appetite for expansion is there (as LH points out) and sounds like it is being considered which is great to hear.

Nobody at SVIAC is naive enough to believe that the large and underlying issues with our fish stocks and sportfishery can be resolved on SVI only. However, you have to start where you are familiar with the particulars and then hope that other dedicated individuals in other regions take notice and follow suit.

Quoted from Little Hawk
I think it's as simple as the name of the thing, this has been discussed before but you will still feel the effects of it until it changes. The SVI on the front of it is keeping a lot of fisherman from joining, I hear it all the time.
Personally I'm not from SVI, (Gulf Islands), but I've joined anyway cause I need to do something and really $20, lets see what they can do with that.

If it keeps people from joining, and you want to unite people (as you say) then why?
Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I don't think it is the SVI in the name - it is the mission which states that they want to improve angling opportunities for SVI anglers. In other words, segregate the coast and focus on priority opportunity for the South.

Seems like what the "Vision" says.

The group is doing good work that will benefit everyone.

Define "everyone". That's pretty broad. Its not in the Vision, so exactly how?

Why not send an email to the group and get an answer before jumping to your own conclusions.
I would strongly suggest that you and the others who may have questions attend the AGM on the 28th and hear it first hand.

Why send an Email to a group to ask if what theri name indicates, and their vision plainly states, is true? How/why would that be worth the effort.

Nobody at SVIAC is naive enough to believe that the large and underlying issues with our fish stocks and sportfishery can be resolved on SVI only. However, you have to start where you are familiar with the particulars and then hope that other dedicated individuals in other regions take notice and follow suit.

Unless they are looking out for the "mid island anglers", and the "Lower Mainland Anglers", etc., as they see benefits their constituents. SVAIC has chosen (for whatever reason) to be tied to a specific area. The concerns in other areas, while having some common concerns, may be different enough so that other groups don't share enough to speak with a "united voice". If others take notice and follow suit, you will end up with a bunch of different small voices from different areas. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I'm on the mainland. Why would I join a coalition that is in their own words: "for the people of southern vancouver island".

This is straight from the site:
Our Vision
For the people of Southern Vancouver Island to enjoy and benefit from a range of thriving year-round angling opportunities and healthy fish populations needed to sustain those fisheries now and for future generations.

I don't agree with a lot of the stuff SD posts, but in this thread he/she is bang-on.

If a lot of people disagree and choose not to join, you're absolutely dividing anglers. If you have a good reason for doing so, good for you, but don't expect anglers from other areas to see it the same way.

Worth the effort? Are you saying you are happy with the current state of our fisheries and the health of fish in BC? I'm not on the board so I don't want to speak any further on their behalf about policies. I've been privy to discussions that make me believe this could be the best hope that all BC anglers have at positive change. I advise anyone who can make the AGM to attend and hear for yourself and then make an informed decision.
I will tell you that one of the core principles of the group is alliance building with existing organizations. Dr. Morton is a member and will be giving a presentation at the AGM...not a bad start to alliance building. They believe in her work and I'm assuming she believes in what the group is trying to achieve.

Worth the effort? Are you saying you are happy with the current state of our fisheries and the health of fish in BC?
One has nothing to do with the other.
No I am not happy with the current state of fisheries and health of fish in BC.

Typically I believe what organizations tell me, naive-I know. When they plainly state "for the people of Southern Vancouver Island", I believe them. Its not worth the effort to investigate further to find out if what they state is true, I just believe it. Why would they mislead me?

If "that's not what it means", then why put it out there in print? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to try to unite by initially dividing/excluding.

Of coarse they are fighting for the anglers of SVI but there is nothing in that wording that says to the exclusion of everyone else. This is where they will get their roots established, build a strong local base, (they are on their way to 300 members and there goal is 1000 in the first year) build some important alliances and hopefully have some success tackling local issues. Don't feel snubbed because that is the farthest from the truth, be patient, this group has all of BC anglers and fish in their best interest. I wouldn't be speaking up if I didn't firmly and honestly believe it.

J-Global nailed it. In both posts...

I just spent an almost 2 hours combing through the SVIAC website. I read a lot about the best interests of south vancouver island. And little more! There are a few phrases coining "for all Canadians" but it just seemed like lip service while reading along. Not to mention I read a lot about "our great cause, be a part of the great cause, great cause great cause ect." but I was hard pressed to find detailed info of what that "great cause" was. Other than some wishy-washy words in their "advocacy, uniting, influencing, and our mission" I really couldn't find any answer of how any of these "goals" will be achieved. The closest answer I could find was this short paragraph at the bottom of the donations page:

"Our experienced and knowledgeable team can provide the man power, organize volunteers, form robust alliance with other like-minded groups and build the campaign but we cannot afford this solely from our own pockets. We desperately need your help. Please seriously consider giving to our cause today and being part of our movement for positive change."

This short paragraph was not enough to persuade me to this cause. I expect hard facts on that website, especially if you are asking for donations of up to $500. There was mention of a power point presentation at the launch event in November. Is this presentation available online? If it won so many over in the room, I'm sure it would have a similar effect if posted on the website. At least toss up a few declining fish stocks graphs or something!
A few grammatical errors and the laughable (sorry but I actually laughed while reading about the theoretical $400 tackle purchase break down) section dedicated to the savings you get for becoming a member, and it starts to read a little like a scam. I mean no offence or disrespect, but this is how I interpreted the website from the standpoint of someone wanting to learn more about SVIAC. It all seemed a little fishy. No pun intended.

I'm all for a group fighting for our fish and our rights to fish them, and if that is SVIAC then great! If that's the case then SVIAC needs to do a better job clarifying their great cause and providing a business plan of sorts of how they intend to achieve those goals. Once that happens, you will have my support in your efforts. But until them I'm still not sure what those efforts exactly are.

I guess I couldn't stay out of it...lol

Lastly, I was looking for the "Constitutions and Bylaws" that Little Hawk mentioned. Sounds like worthwhile reading but I couldn't find anything of the sort on the website...

When attempting to sign up online, I read this on the Anglers Coalition site:
"Your online membership payment will be handled safely and securely through the online payment system of our good friends at sportfishingbc.com"

But the transaction was interrupted with this message:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.sportfishingbc.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified. www.sportfishingbc.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Growing pains? but should be resolved, in any case. Glitches such as this do not boost confidence or membership in SVIAC.

"payment through sportfishingbc.com" also through me off too. Paying direct to the AC via paypal would be what I would expect, not payment through a 3rd party fishing website....kind of odd.

From what I understand the reason they went with South is because thats where the working members of the group live. Why spread yourself thin. People bitching about why there not holding meeting closer to them... but then I think this is the internet. People like to anonymously ***** about anything. I wish it wasnt something like this. Talk about trying to divde people. What about faith and hope in what a organzition is doing. Do you only support cuases that are with in a 100 block radius of your house? I find it disheartening that a few people speak out so venomously against a group who is trying to do something so positive in our community. This group has barley been alive for what 6 months. Mabey if they knew people would get there panties in such a twist about it they might have left off the south. But then mainlanders would still be bitching.. westcoast? what about the interior... Im sorry people left out. But its called having faith and taking a gamble on something that means so much to people. To many people taking advantage and not giving anything back. Why not think positively instead of trying to draw out the one negative thing you can find to nitpic at. You took 2 hours reading there site. How is that possible it took me not even 10 minutes.You did notice it said under construction?

I think its fine if people want to sit out. If your not part of the solution your part of the problem. If you want to find something bad you will, some people are just like that. I would rather try and help them/us and fail then sit back and not even try.

Its funny I came here hoping to make fishing friends and I feel like im doing the opposite.

Back