Suzuki 4 hp problem

seascene

Crew Member
1985 4 hp 2 stroke engine: Will not start except at near full throttle. Once there if you try to slow down the engine quits. Anyone have a similar problem with an older 2 stroke. I will be doing the usual thing like clean out carb, change the fuel ...all the typical stuff. If the problem is still there I am defaulting to the fuel pump diaphragm unless there is something I might be missing.. thanks

P.S. I will be updating to a newer 4 to 6 hp (sailboat dingy) ... so if you have one for sale (short shaft)... please get in touch.

Thanks

Have an older honda kicker that does that. What worked for me was to remove the air/fuel mixture needle valve and blow compressed air in the opening to clear the idle circuit in the carb. Most carbs have 2 circuits, one for idle and the other for the main fuel. The idle circuit has a needle valve screw that sets the air/fuel ratio. When you remove it you need to put it back to where it was set. How I do it is to gently turn it all the way in counting the turns that it takes to seat. Make sure you don't reef on it as that can damage the seat. Once I have that number I then remove it and apply the compressed air. Put the needle valve back in to seat then back off the number of turns that you counted in the first step.

Back