Surviving hydraulic Steering failure

Rockfish

This has never happened to us, as our Sea Star duel helm Hydraulic steering system and the related mechanical cross tie system to the kicker is robust and very reliable. The kicker is a full remote model so it does not have a steering tiller arm and is way out the back on a pod.

I sometimes find myself doing planning in my head of the what if variety. So what could be done? If it was a small leak perhaps we could limp home at modest speed by continuously topping up the upper helm fluid reserve if we have enough fluid. It would be sloppy with air in the lines but perhaps could get us back to the dock. We also carry something called Rescue Tape which may be able to be used to seal a line leak, also I think can be used for temp. repair of a fuel line.

If emergency repair were not possible and the main steering system was gone, that would mean main power (225 Opti) would also be out of action. In that situation the only thing I think we could do to get under way and limp home at slow speed would be to detach the mechanical cross tie to the kicker and then make a tiller for the kicker which could involve one or two long handled paddles and a lot of duct tape and bungle cords. I typically keep a good supply of both on board so I would hope this would hold together long enough to, (at least in moderate seas or better) hopefully get us back to the dock.

Anyone have any other ideas or ever had to deal with this situation? It just occurred to me that it may be a good idea to get a small ratcheting cargo strap for the boat. This could be used to attach an orr or a boat hook pole to the kicker cowling to act as a tiller in an emergency, as that might be a stronger connection than duct tape etc. or perhaps a combination of the two.

Last edited:
I had a T in my hydraulic steering tubing fail and lost all steering. I was 10 miles west of Port Renfrew but near the shore. I have a 24' with 250 and 9.9. They were tied together as yours is. When it fails the big motor goes to one side immediately from the torque of the prop and you can not move it by hand. We were experiencing very heavy seas and strong wind from the East. We were being pushed out the straights to the west. We undid the kicker and were able to get in close enough to anchor. The big motor is the rudder and steering with the wind was very difficult. We got anchored and a smaller boat tried to help us but they only had a crab pot rope and it was too rough for us to try that. The problem with my boat is that if you raise the big motor, you loose all ability to steer with the kicker. We decided to stay on anchor for the night and wait for calm seas and wind and an incoming tide. Fortunately a guy I had built some mooching rods for heard the chatter on the radio with the small boat and came to get us. He towed us in and we pulled the boat the next day with help from the marina small boat.

We did attach a paddle to the kicker with a strap to help us get near shore.

Sorry to be so long but since that disaster, I had a tow rope made that can be used to help someone else or me. I keep it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I have pitched it over twice now to others that are trying to tow someone in. They leave it at the marina when done. It has a long Y so that it attaches to the stern cleats of the towing boat. I also had all hydraulic hoses replaced with heavy duty. The old tubing that failed at the T was copper. I can assure you the guy who came and got us was compensated for his gas and time and had a lot more rods built for free.

I blew my hydraulic steering on a 24ft grady and drove back to the dock using my trim tabs to steer. It works surprisingly well even though I had to come through some areas with some rapids. Docking was a bit tricky though.

I had a Mercruiser stern drive which had power steering actuated by a Telestar rack and pinion cable. The cable broke and we had no steering. Way out in Burdwood Bay Nootka.
With the engine running we were able to get the leg back to center using a screw driver on the power steering arm. Once in place the leg did not move.
Then like Tangled we drove back from Nootka to Gold River steering with trim tabs at full speed. Works like a charm!
We got the boat on the trailer using the kicker.

So if you could use a ratchet strap, or better 2, to center your outboard and you have trim tabs you could probably get back to your base for repairs.

Thats quite the story Civano. In calm seas and reasonable current I think I could steer with the main up and just the Kicker. For the most part I am now a fair weather fishermen, but of course when something like this happens it is a rare event and usually at the worst possible time, which means heavy seas.

Thats an interesting idea Tangled. I have large trim tabs for the size of the boat. Were you just on the kicker with the main up when you used them to steer? I have never tried the tabs to assist steering with just the kicker for power. On my boat when on the main and the tabs are down very far at all and significantly out of balance side to side, which I assume is where you would want them to steer, the boat develops a bad case of bow steer which in itself makes it impossible to steer as you bring up the main power much beyond slow speed. The bow just dives and digs in to one side and turns the boat quickly but not in a way that would be useful for actually steering. I should play with it in good weather one day with the main up and just the kicker and see how the kicker and tabs interact as to steering. Perhaps at slow speed with the kicker, bow steer would not be a problem for me when using the tabs to try and assist.steering.

lost my steering once, duck taped a canoe paddle to the main outboard to get home, only had 60HP motor

To keep your big motor straight you can keep a couple of pvc pipe pieces that have a slot running along them and snap two equal sized pieces on each side of the black seastar cylinder. The pipes would be just big enough to fit snug over the stainless rod. At least your motor stays straight so you can trim tab steer your way back to port.

I’ve thought of this failure and the remedy for it many times over the years. I was going to get a welding shop to make up a mounting bracket(s) for the main and then have a tiller handle to match which would be kept on board. Simply attach and steer the main with the tiller and have someone else on the throttle.

I was told the torque is too great to manually steer the main with a tiller in my case 250 hp. I can not verify that but I could not turn the main back to straight after steering loss even when not running. Of course I was only able to hug the engine and attempt to turn.

Long enough handle and strong enough parts and you should be able to hold onto it, maybe not wide open or on plane but fast enough to get you home. They had 60-75 hp 2 stroke tillers which were easily handled with just a tiller handle. Look at the guys in Asian that steer those straight shaft diesels that plane out the boats down there. If it was stiff from the bydraulics being stuck I would cut the lines to free it upz

For the longer portion of an emergency trip home pointed in a straight line you could also fabricate a receiver on the boat for the tiller to drop into which would keep it locked in that position, allowing you a break from manual steering. It would also allow you to run at higher speeds for the straight runs. Then take over and slow down for tighter quarters and manouvering

Back