Surge Brakes

getbent

Any body have some tips or hints for the easieast way to bleed surge brakes on my boat trailer.

Just wondering the easiest way of moving the slide back and forth to pump them up and bleed.

No, electric brakes are not an option at this time.

Cheers,

Getbent

I sucked fluid though the bleeders one at a time with a fuel primer bulb. Worked for me.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I took a piece of heavy PVC conduit that fit over the emergency brake bar on the tongue - the metal bar with the chain that goes to the truck. I heated the end of the PVC with a blow torch and flattened it the same general shape as the bar. You can then have someone pump this handle back and forth to force the brake fluid back to the brakes as you bleed them.

Try and find the manual online but...most have a slot where you can insert a large flat-head screwdriver and 'pump' the brake cylinder. One does the and the other can bleed at each drum. I have both an Atwood and a Tiedown surge actuator and they both work this way.

I was thinking of using a come-a-long to pull the head. I like the primer bulb though. Now if I could just wade through the rust and find the bleeder valve. Can you say rebuild... x4

I"m able to use a large screw driver or anything big and strong, put the end up into the coupler that locks on the ball then push towards the boat, then lift back up to release pressure. Bought my boat 1 month ago, didn't feel like the brakes were working, this I confirmed after taking the tire off. Now I have to figure out how bad it is, the boat was new 2004 they used it that summer then it sat for 5 years.Probably seized cylinders ?

Back