Sturgeon

F

fickell

How soon in the spring do you start to get some not bad catches of sturgeon in the lower fraser

Hey Leaseman

Where were you fishing and what are they biting on? Did you land any big guys or mostly small??

used eulachon exclusively...... over the last 10 days we have seen fish from 2 1/2' up to (and over) 9'....... we had a hog on for awhile that ended up breaking off just at dusk!

Strange thing this year is all the fish are extremely well feed and have attitudes!

going out Friday to see if they are still hungry....:D

was out friday evening from 7ish to 930 ish, boated 5 biggest was 5.5 ft. leaseman where you fishing? i was low but have a feeling i should've been lower, new west?

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

I am fishing ABOVE Mission..... best I have ever seen for this time of year...... numbers are slowly dropping off now as i am thinking fish are heading down river in search of what is left of the eulachon run....

Mike

Of course we were at it again on last Saturday (21st) and had 4 rods, 17 fish, two double headers, biggest fish was 9+'

Ya, the majority of the fish should be in the lower river at this time, a good friend guides on the river and the reports from mission up he is getting are nowhere near your success rate. Good on ya though, maybe the reports being funneled to him are being cooled down a little..... who knows. Fish should be everywhere within a few weeks anyways.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Hey Sean

Were you fishing in your honey hole? We are heading down there for Easter weekend any tips would be great??? and Bait??

Thanks
Jordan

ya jordan all 5 in the hole, tried for a few hrs at the stave, saw 1 2' caught but nothing for me there. ooooolies exclusively. sean

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Hey Guys

Where are you buying your eulachon and how much a pack? Do you guys fish half a oolie for bait or do you rig the hole fish on the hook? I will be fishing 3 rods for 2 days wo you think 4 packs is going to be enough?

Thanks
JAC

We have been doing fairly well in around ladner for 4ft-5ft fish. I dont know if you guys are refering to that far down river? The action isn't as good as the guys have been having fishing around mission with 19 fish to the boat. I live in Tsawwssen and it is nice and close for an afternoon of fishing.

quote:Originally posted by JAC

Hey Guys

Where are you buying your eulachon and how much a pack? Do you guys fish half a oolie for bait or do you rig the hole fish on the hook? I will be fishing 3 rods for 2 days wo you think 4 packs is going to be enough?

Thanks
JAC

I buy our Eulachon by the case, (25 pounds) only way to do it if you fish lots for them! I do usually fish whole bait, bit many use 1/2 or 1/3.......

Not sure on the "packs" you are talking about? Make sure that you aren't buying columbia river smelt, they will work but not nearly as well as true oolies!

As far as bait goes, three rods, two days would mean (for me who uses whole baits, head off) roughly (a mininum) 40+ oolies...... Remember these fish are great bait stealers, even if spider wired on!

Send me an e-mail if you want more info!

Mike

Hey Leaseman

Thanks for the tips what do you think about row or worms this time of year.

Thanks
Jordan

quote:Originally posted by JAC

Hey Leaseman

Thanks for the tips what do you think about row or worms this time of year.

Thanks
Jordan

Hi Jordan-

Old school thought is anything will work once or twice.... we have used roe (1-2 fish)......worms (roe sack-1 fish).... all the rest on oolies! Worms work better when water higher as worms get washed into the river then....... Dinos know that oolies hit the river soon (or what is left of the run....[B)]), therfore oolies work best, just like stink bait in the summer and fresh roe early fall and later....

Mike

Hi Guys

Just got back from a Dino trip and it was pretty good. It was a little windy but we put 10 in the boat biggest was 5'10". We did lose a big fish it just started running and snaped our 80lbs test. All the fish were caught on oolies.

Thanks
JAC

Back