Stupid to buy a boat right now?

Thunder21

I wasn't going to buy a boat until I had a couple other projects done but I'm finding myself on the hunt for something again. With all the recent closures and talk of more coming soon do you think it's stupid to even bother right now? I don't need to bonk 15 springs a year or even 2 a day but the thought that the whole west coast may be in a finfish closure has got me wondering if we are all going to be stuck with expensive fishing boats that aren't worth anything. What do you guys think? Should I wait to see how it plays out? Am I over thinking this or should I just buy a wakesetter and some white rimmed sunglasses and hit the lake?

I wouldnt!! worst case is you do buy one and then poof more **** down the pipe then your stuck with a boat you cant sell. put your money on something else..

Economically speaking we are nearing the end of cycle, boat prices are super high. Post the 2008/2009 financial crisis boat prices plummeted until about 2013 when they started to take off again for the last 5 years. It's likely that boat prices will crash again sometime in the next 5 years. Regardless of what happens to regulations.

Lots of good boats in the 17-19 foot range for ocean and lake. Buying a boat has more to do with your own personal time/ Family support of being out on the water and what you enjoy doing. If your like me and would fish for dog fish and flounder and kokanee and trout before I ever thought of selling boat.

Also there's tons of people in the lower mainland/BC and Alberta, That travel to fish all over the BC coast. I have a coworker that owns a boat just to go fish in banfield a couple times a year.

Have no idea of your personal circumstances so it's tough to say.

That being said I know lots of Fraser River fishermen that were sockeye/chinook fishermen that have sold their boats.

I was waiting for a thread like this. The drama has started......

Buy it. The market is the market. We are not heading for the hills yet with the regulations. I personally think some things will correct themselves in the next year or two. We still have some of the most liberal fishing regulations in the world. The current situation is nothing compared to most of the world. We can still fish. People will still buy a 1/2 million dollar boat to fish........

You can always find a reason to wait if you look for it. Boats are never good financial investments, so if you decide to buy one just assume it will be worth a lot less when you sell it, which it always will be if you keep it any length of time. Access to salmon will continue to be restricted as stocks are depleted, but there will probably still be some opportunities to fish no matter where you live for the forseable future. If you like being out on the water and have disposable income for a boat, go for it.

I wouldnt!! worst case is you do buy one and then poof more **** down the pipe then your stuck with a boat you cant sell. put your money on something else..

Holy moly Roy! I just sold my boat and looking to book a charter down South.
Maybe I will look elsewhere.......and put my money on someone else. Still great fishing down there. I would rather go with someone that is in the industry that has a positive attitude. I don't need to keep. I just want to get out and have a good time.

I have always supported guides on this forum. I am in the position right now to support them more than ever.

Last edited:
Maybe not the best time to buy a boat from the US, unless you're getting a pre-tariff US boat...

I do have a positive attitude when it comes to fishing it is my life in my blood and I love it , im just a realist and base my life on facts and numbers, if you see whats i see going on down here you would be upset too. Yes fishing is good but when you see 6 boats fishing and boats in marina parking lots sitting on dry land its really kinda sad . was out yesterday and there was 14 boats total from secretary to otter.... years ago there would have been 200.

Holy moly Roy! I would rather go with someone that is in the industry that has a positive attitude.
There is a fine line between being "positive" and "realistic" (crazy)
If you live in Victoria and were planning to fish from Sidney to Sooke you would be crazy to buy a boat right now.
To buy a boat to only go fish North or West occasionally IS CRAZY. As Sculpin said, best to support a guide.
A lot of guys who post on this site, have not been around as long as Roy (Wolf) who pretty much fishes exclusively out of Sooke and Victoria.
What Roy sees is REAL and he is not afraid to say it like it is!!!
Those who suggest "be positive" are not being "realistic" and don't have to endure what the guys on the southern tip of Vancouver Island are facing.
If Derby is right and the current regs are not here to stay, (like THE WHALE FORGING AREAS WHICH IS A REGUATION THAT IS TRUE INSANITY) great but most of us are skeptical to say the least and a lot of damage has already been done!
What, where and when will be the next new regulation coming from DFO?
Those who think "positive" believe Open Net Pen Fish Farms will be removed from our waters and a pull back on fishing regulations is coming.
Those who think "realistically" fear that big money Fish Farms who are killing our salmon will not be removed in the near future and more restrictive fishing regulations are coming.
Will leave it to you to decide if you want to think "positively" or "realistically".
Remember, we on the Southern tip of Vancouver Island were very unhappy, but we at least thought we had an understanding of where the new whale forging area would be.
DFO knew it was a political move with little or no effect on the Southern Resident Orca and DFO still stabbed us in the back by extending it beyond area that was presented!!!!

Last edited:
I work in the marine industry. We build stainless accessories for many manufacturers. I can tell you this, the three biggest customers we have, Ranger Tugs, Campion Marine and Kingfisher boats are all experiencing a growth in sales right now that would surprise you. So busy I’m doing 50 hr weeks and doesn’t look like I’ll be getting much of a vacation this year. Sadly, so busy I haven't had time to get out on the water at all yet. So yeah, I’d say buy your boat. These guys know what’s up and have people looking at the future of boat sales. Here’s a little insider info: Rangers actually in the process of designing and developing a small(for them) 23-24’ outboard powered fishing boat.

No one knows whats going to happen with fishing ? You can see on the south island all the boats for sale. I think guys are getting nervous about the future of fishing. You can still cruise the gulf islands with a boat or go to lake. Make sure you buy a boat that you can resell easy if things go south. Fishing machine boats like big aluminums or Grady type boats with not alot of comfort for cruising will be a hard sell. They don't make great lake boats either lol. I think campion explorer 542 type boats are selling because they are versatile. I,ve been looking at a bigger cruising boat that has all the comforts and you can still fish out then again i,m also looking at RV's lol..

I work in the marine industry. We build stainless accessories for many manufacturers. I can tell you this, the three biggest customers we have, Ranger Tugs, Campion Marine and Kingfisher boats are all experiencing a growth in sales right now that would surprise you. So busy I’m doing 50 hr weeks and doesn’t look like I’ll be getting much of a vacation this year. Sadly, so busy I haven't had time to get out on the water at all yet. So yeah, I’d say buy your boat. These guys know what’s up and have people looking at the future of boat sales. Here’s a little insider info: Rangers actually in the process of designing and developing a small(for them) 23-24’ outboard powered fishing boat.

Your information is no doubt factual, however you might be a little bias...eh
If you think the next 3 years are going to match the last, you might be disappointed!
Bye the way, this is the smallest and cheapest boat I could find on the Kingfisher site
2018 KingFisher 2525 Weekender
Retail Price$177,740.00
Sale Price$164,500.00 plus tax
OR
if you are only into doing a little inside fishing go for this one
21’ Campion 622
$81,752.00 CAD plus tax

So, I say it again...it all depends where you fish and even then it's a tough call to say if now is a good time to purchase a boat!
Unless of course you have so much money you can't possible find a better way to spend it!

I am putting over 20K in my boat:

(1) Always someplace to fish as fish tofino says

(2) Other things besides Chinook to go after

If this is your first boat plan on it being a learning experience in that you will realize all the things you want on your NEXT boat, like 40-50 more sq ft of deck space!!
Buy something with great resale potential - don't walk away from an I/O RUN.

I had a 14 ft Livingston that was great for everything except offshore trolling - sides are low & unpadded & got beat-up too much in rough water; went to a 24ft Searay. At a 33 ft Chris Craft sport fisher now. Get something with a 4 stroke O/B; AL boats seem really popular in BC.

Back