Stuck/Rusted Hitch Draw Bar

Whole in the Water

My hitch draw bar is stuck in my hitch receiver on my truck. Been in there for several years. Tried all sorts of lube and hammering out the locking pin - it will not budge. Any ideas on how I can safely remove it without destroying it? Any good advice is welcome, thanks.

Here are pics:
hitch pic 1.jpg Hitch pic 2.jpg

You tried getting some penetrating fluid in between hitch and receiver using the red straw type nozzle on. Surprised fluid and hammer didn’t get it. May have to use heat or brute force and ignorance if that don’t work lol

My hitch draw bar is stuck in my hitch receiver on my truck. Been in there for several years. Tried all sorts of lube and hammering out the locking pin - it will not budge. Any ideas on how I can safely remove it without destroying it? Any good advice is welcome, thanks.

Here are pics:
View attachment 44411 View attachment 44412

Had exact thing. You have to wiggle it out. First you need to cut locking pin and hammer it out. Just use a zip disc to cut the pin. To get receiver out I simply hammered the hitch one side at a time and wiggled it out. It will come free. You just have a little rust in receiver that is binding.

Strap around a big tree then low range pull it out?
If the pin is stuck you can break those locks by putting a pipe over the end and bending/ snapping the end off

First off soak everything down good with a good penetrating fluid then take a side grinder or appropriate tool and cut the pin off as flush as possible if it doesn’t want to come out and drive the pin out with a good heavy punch or drive bar, use a heavy one and long enough so when you miss you don’t smash your hand. Again have it all soaked good while your working on it. Soak it again after you get the pin out. Then drive the hitch in first to break the rust free and to get it moving, doesn’t take much just a 1/2” or so just to break it. Then start working it out and in with the hammer. Hammer it out an inch, then back in an inch soon enough you will get it to move enough to get it out.

Grab ahold of the ball and jossel it around while pullin the pin.add more elbow grease.bigger channel lock pliers on the pin

50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid for the rust.

Serious heat will usually make things break free.
Use good judgement between the timing of heat and the acetone atf mixture!

You can try heating it, but it will burn any paint remnants and make sure you have no gas leaks, don't want to set anything on fire. I love using heat to loosen things, it pretty much always works. Just bang it out once its hot. The trick with heating is when you think you've heated it enough, heat it some more.

the easiest way is hook onto a 26' boat and trailer that the surge breaks do not work, and pull it around, that will loosen up that hitch

I'v had this a couple of times, it's nothing that a bit of sweat and penetrating oil won't fix. As SpringVelocity said ,pound side to side and up and down, it'll come.

Back