Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Just stating the obvious for those who need the reminder.

Port Renfrew Marina ask DFO if they could install a Sooke type fish pen and were turned down. Said water environment was not suitable. Smolts are seen around the docks constantly

That's interesting I didn't know that. Logistically that makes no sense since all the fish come from nitinat hatchery anyway for Sooke netpen. Wonder why?

Let’s be clear, while you all were guiding, fishing etc., the Greens were at the tables with DFO both here and Ottawa.
They were dividing up where the NEW closures will be.

These closures have nothing to do with whales.
Wow, really? So let's be clear - during a time when the rec sector needs to be united some folks find time to fault those who are volunteering their time to help. Be good to hear how you have donated time to lobbying organizations to help them fight this issue? Always easy to criticize others so please tell us how you have volunteered your time to help out?

It’s being covered on CBC news right now on tv.

Expert says because the Americans have killed their habitat SRKW are forced to compete with NRKW at the northern part of the SRKW range.

sacramento and Columbia river chinook populations are in very bad condition.

These closures have nothing to do with whales.
There is NO WAY I can support a statement like the above. Another is "It's all politics"

SRKW's range from southern VCI down to San Francisco:

https://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/research/divisions/cb/ecosystem/marinemammal/satellite_tagging/blog.cfm

K & L pod spend the fall in Puget Sound, then spend 6 months going between Cape Flattery & San Francisco. The pod with the biggest population decline is L pod. There are groups down here saying removing the Snake River dams is the single most important thing for saving the SRKW's.

I don't think we are being lied to, but not all the facts are being presented either. I think the existing data is good; but like the study done above (data for year 2012 only) we need more data & more action not less. Solutions are being cherry picked to avoid monetarily & politically expensive solutions like declaring rivers critical Orca habitat because thats's where their food starts. Closing fishing is free, but removing dams is not.

This is an international problem requiring international solutions. All the radical BS on this forum is going NOWHERE; as admin said a couple months ago, it's a dumping ground for unhappiness.

This shows that you do not know what is going on.

You know what being at table is like. You also would know that is a silly statement. Kind of hard to be at a table when the ministers are on holidays. If you are going to throw rocks because of some past beef get it over with and let's all move on. You know how the process works.

Wow, really? So let's be clear - during a time when the rec sector needs to be united some folks find time to fault those who are volunteering their time to help. Be good to hear how you have donated time to lobbying organizations to help them fight this issue? Always easy to criticize others so please tell us how you have volunteered your time to help out?

Watch it Christopher there is history here in these posts so ignore it. I totally agree with you not the time to air past grievences. This person was a volunteer and knows how our process works.

In a sence the closures are all politics, if the closures were purely ment to help the whales then all of the SRKW range should have restrictions. However their area within the range/critical habitat that are still open for chinook fishing.

If the goal is to increase chinook populations the all then all the runs of fish and areas they are exploted in should have restrictions.

If vessal traffic noise is the problem then All sectors should have to avoid whales including whale watching.

How all the half measures ect are implemented are political driven.

When DFO this winter put out the proposal closures the area 20 closure was much smaller. After the ENGOs groups threatened to sue DFO the area 20 closure expanded.

Volunteer worked countless hours finding ways to reduce exploitation of chinook in the straight of Georgia and then DFO took it and just made a blanket 1 chinook only in retention.

Commercial sockeye fisheries exploted tonnes of chinook in sockeye gilnet fisheries that the SRKW count on.

Lower Thompson river chinook were identified as critically important to SRKW populations but because they share the same run time as sockeye they were exploited to death

Also the closures are not ment to reduce exploitation of chinook but rather remove recreational fishing boats from the srkw habitat but not commercial or firstnation boats or whale watching boats or tanker or commercial boat traffic.

The recreational fishing closures are all politics

Here you go, check it out with the SFAB executive, I know you have the contacts.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...they-are-still-coming-here.70039/#post-892263

QUOTE="Whole in the Water, post: 894989, member: 51"]Wow, really? So let's be clear - during a time when the rec sector needs to be united some folks find time to fault those who are volunteering their time to help. Be good to hear how you have donated time to lobbying organizations to help them fight this issue? Always easy to criticize others so please tell us how you have volunteered your time to help out?[/QUOTE]

Do you really think the Ministers are running the ship?

Ever heard of bureaucrats the ones that really run the depts?

You know what being at table is like. You also would know that is a silly statement. Kind of hard to be at a table when the ministers are on holidays. If you are going to throw rocks because of some past beef get it over with and let's all move on. You know how the process works.

Here you go, check it out with the SFAB executive, I know you have the contacts.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...they-are-still-coming-here.70039/#post-892263

QUOTE="Whole in the Water, post: 894989, member: 51"]Wow, really? So let's be clear - during a time when the rec sector needs to be united some folks find time to fault those who are volunteering their time to help. Be good to hear how you have donated time to lobbying organizations to help them fight this issue? Always easy to criticize others so please tell us how you have volunteered your time to help out?

Is your contact still on there or did it get updated?

I have been reading all of the posts since I put my two bits forward, and have been interested in the wish to help out, but seeming lack of trust or knowledge in what has been going on in terms of discussion behind the scenes. In my opinion, from years working with SFAB as a volunteer the way forward is to work politically, and to engage science support, and to plan a carefully integrated approach. I know that SFI is on the way to do this, has the right people to speak and engage the Ministry , and I know they have earned credibility in the right places. This is not a put down of any other group(s) but a known;edge based opinion...SFI should be the ones we support the most in moving forward, and do communicate well by newsletter with members...get out there and join!

This thread epitomizes the whole problem! All the executives of all the groups need to unite! If you can’t do that, don’t expect the guy on the street to do what you can’t,and certainly don’t look for his money until you can!

I have been reading all of the posts since I put my two bits forward, and have been interested in the wish to help out, but seeming lack of trust or knowledge in what has been going on in terms of discussion behind the scenes. In my opinion, from years working with SFAB as a volunteer the way forward is to work politically, and to engage science support, and to plan a carefully integrated approach. I know that SFI is on the way to do this, has the right people to speak and engage the Ministry , and I know they have earned credibility in the right places. This is not a put down of any other group(s) but a known;edge based opinion...SFI should be the ones we support the most in moving forward, and do communicate well by newsletter with members...get out there and join!
But you guys need to become transparent! Publish minutes, publish agendas! If no one knows where you stand, it’s because of a lack of communication, created by your lack of transparency, use the internet!

This thread epitomizes the whole problem! All the executives of all the groups need to unite! If you can’t do that, don’t expect the guy on the street to do what you can’t,and certainly don’t look for his money until you can!

Best post on the subject yet, simple and clear !

So who is volunteering to do it? I'm sure if someone with the skills stepped forward, approached the local chairs and said I will create a website, pay to keep it online and populate it with minutes they would take up the offer.

So who is volunteering to do it? I'm sure if someone with the skills stepped forward, approached the local chairs and said I will create a website, pay to keep it online and populate it with minutes they would take up the offer.
The SFAB has a mandate to inform the general public, check it out it’s a simple google search. The Federal government has mandated this! Call me crazy but DFO has a responsibility to publish the minutes if their bosses mandate it! I ‘ve got excuses from them (DFO),that they have no money for translation! I’ve asked if the Minister knows, so far crickets!

But you guys need to become transparent! Publish minutes, publish agendas! If no one knows where you stand, it’s because of a lack of communication, created by your lack of transparency, use the internet!
exactly, you have to self promoting to gain support , if support is what you want .. maybe broaden the spectrum of supporters. Certainly there appears to be a base for supporting an advocacy group..

Ziggy..DFO doesn't even pay for the rooms to hold the local meetings anymore. In Victoria we are lucky that the Esquimalt Anglers make their clubhouse available at no cost.

Back