Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Yeah seems like the letter writing and emails to ministers, mla’s and news stations have done zero to help this cause. All I ever hear and see on news etc is this same old ******** story being beaten to death. Something needs to change to get the real science etc onto the news and out into the public’s eye because it’s almost to late already imo

Sports fishermen and hunters have made a huge error over the last 30 yeahs. While engos were out campaigning for money and then using that money to grow in size and lobby power.

Hunters and sportsfishermen were donating their money to conservation.

As a result hunters and sporties can’t even run a campaign against this. Our groups have no paid staff whole groups like David Sukie have 100’s of paid staff. Rainforest conservation has like 10 paid full time biologists on staff. Biologist that lobby for more money to grow and get a the message out.

Now when we try to lobby for money even our own people that benifit from it just shoot it down. Yeah your sick of writing letters while engos have paid full time staff that blast out on social media to get everyone to write letters for them.

They don’t get sick of the fight because they get paid cold hard cash to do it day in and day out.

When I see how many people have donated to the go fund me or joined Sportsfishing organizations. You know what it tells me most fishermen don’t care enough about their hobby. This stuff is not fun, no one likes having to do it but if we don’t do it then expect more **** because the engos arw
Not going to stop until they get Sportsfishing closed down

When I see how many people have donated to the go fund me or joined Sportsfishing organizations. You know what it tells me most fishermen don’t care enough about their hobby.

The reason more don't donate is because they have no idea how the money
will be used.

I read it, not a lot of detail other than organize more meetings and social media.

Which is exactly where all the bleeding heart donations to the engos go. They are playing with cash that is many orders of magnitude higher than us.... The idea is to put some money into the fight to counter the engo engine.

For those of you that have questions.. feel free to contact sea run and have a conversation with him... he will be more then happy to have a conversation with u...

Sports fishermen and hunters have made a huge error over the last 30 yeahs. While engos were out campaigning for money and then using that money to grow in size and lobby power.

As a result hunters and sporties can’t even run a campaign against this. Our groups have no paid staff whole groups like David Sukie have 100’s of paid staff. Rainforest conservation has like 10 paid full time biologists on staff. Biologist that lobby for more money to grow and get a the message out.

Now when we try to lobby for money even our own people that benifit from it just shoot it down. Yeah your sick of writing letters while engos have paid full time staff that blast out on social media to get everyone to write letters for them.

They don’t get sick of the fight because they get paid cold hard cash to do it day in and day out.

When I see how many people have donated to the go fund me or joined Sportsfishing organizations. You know what it tells me most fishermen don’t care enough about their hobby. This stuff is not fun, no one likes having to do it but if we don’t do it then expect more **** because the engos arw
I’m surprised by the lack of participation by those who make a good living from recreational fishing. Tackle and rod manufacturers, sporting good stores, boat and engine builders, high end lodges etc. Surely they must be able to see where this is all going? That’s not to suggest it’s all up to them, but given their businesses rely on the rec industry, their silence is surprising.

I'm not taking away from any effort to help, but wonder if there should be some
mention of funds that will be directed at future net pen projects or habitat restoration
that will put more fish back.

The reason more don't donate is because they have no idea how the money
will be used.

Then why did SVIAC just raise 10k without any breakdown of financials of how the 10k would be spent without all of you asking for it? Because people just wanted a prize. That was great for them but shows that we still need to dangle carrots to get donations. I sort of feel bad for SVIAC as they have the most anglers down there and have to find financing elsewhere.

My point is it doesn't matter if it is a net pen, or salmon enhancement project if businesses don't offer something in return most won't join, donate etc. Sorry been doing this for a bit and it tends to be true from the general anglers out there.

As for businesses not stepping up. How are your events and derbies funded? Think those prizes donated are free? Keep in mind many business donate to wide variety of causes at same time. How many general anglers on here even gave 50.00 to PSF this year?

I am not disagreeing with you maybe communication can be improved, and I think Searun has commented numerous times on here how the donations will be spent. Any questions you can contact him personally on here.

Last edited:

This statement is 100 percent true, and it gets worse every year. "You know what it tells me most fishermen don’t care enough about their hobby"

I'm not taking away from any effort to help, but wonder if there should be some
mention of funds that will be directed at future net pen projects or habitat restoration
that will put more fish back.

Or Maybe we can help these guys fight for us? maybe its that time?

https://theprovince.com/news/local-...risk/wcm/86f46e3c-808d-416e-bf9c-b0375532fe8e

More measures coming
More measures are expected before the expected return of the whales to the Salish Sea in April.

The government has said it’s looking at further fishing reductions and an expansion of fisheries closures in key foraging areas.

Wilkinson said he’ll also be looking closely at Washington Gov. Jay Inslee’s $1.1-billion whale recovery program that includes a three-year ban on commercial whale-watching of southern residents.

B.C.’s sports fishing sector, as well as chambers of commerce, are already pushing back at the prospect of more government measures.

Or Maybe we can help these guys fight for us? maybe its that time?

https://theprovince.com/news/local-...risk/wcm/86f46e3c-808d-416e-bf9c-b0375532fe8e

More measures coming
More measures are expected before the expected return of the whales to the Salish Sea in April.

The government has said it’s looking at further fishing reductions and an expansion of fisheries closures in key foraging areas.

Wilkinson said he’ll also be looking closely at Washington Gov. Jay Inslee’s $1.1-billion whale recovery program that includes a three-year ban on commercial whale-watching of southern residents.

B.C.’s sports fishing sector, as well as chambers of commerce, are already pushing back at the prospect of more government measures.
I think what really hurts recreational fishing is that we as a group, are so susceptible to the divide and conquer tactics employed by both DFO and ENGO’s. Everyone not impacted by a current or proposed closure seems to think it’s all going to stop with someone else having restrictions, but not them. Businesses are failing to see their very survival is being threatened as their consumer base is being whittled away.

Bottom line for example,is if you are ok with closing the Gulf Islands to protect Fraser River salmon, then surely you must agree with additional closures along their transit route. How does that not make sense, so wait for it ! It’s going to be ever expanding, all the way up the coast, just a matter of time. It’s a no win for Recreational Fishers, if it’s determined to be working, then that shows it’s a great idea and should be expanded. If it fails, it’s because more areas need to be closed to make it work and it needs to be expanded.

The ENGO organizations end game is the elimination of sport fishing for the entire coast, one area at a time. I’m not sure why those yet to be impacted fail to see that? Perhaps they think closing fishing in the South will improve fishing, or the fishing businesses in the North? Maybe short term they’re right, but they are also long term targets and should not for a moment believe they aren’t next. ENGO survival depends on them pushing an issue to the public, make no mistake they are aware of who pays their wages.

Another issue is that every area that is lost to closure removes a lot of voices! In time local people accept the closure, move on, or quit fishing altogether. Hard to generate much sympathy from those whose area has already been closed and both DFO and ENGO’s keeps getting easier. The result is an ever shrinking population of fishers. Sad really, I’m even depressing myself.

Here is what I know about trying to get people to take 5 min out to open the links I shared and hopefully donate.

It is HARD!!

I have many people that come out and ask me To take them fishing. Probably even more that have their hands out wen i smoke a batch etc. Here was my attempt to get some help. I went so far as to indirectly call them out. These are life long friends and Family .

One person made a big donation 5 min after I posted. Maybe 3 shared the link only after I mass texted them all directly in a second effort.

Here was my pitch to them. Copied and pasted from my Facebook.
Where did I go wrong?

“OK THIS IS SOOO IMPORTANT TO ME!!!. PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND CHECK OUT THIS LINK!!.

Then,if you choose and are able follow the prompts and give a little support. (no amount is too small). If nothing else please share it on your page. We need to spread the message of this initiative far and wide!!

Recreational fishing is under attack. There is a large movement to demand action be taken to try to help the southern Resident Killer whales. I support that fully along with almost every angler I know. Unfortunately, the decisions being made by the department of fisheries is being driven largely by a very poor understanding of the facts, a lack of science, and the affects those decisions will and will not have on both the whales and the many that depend on a responsible recreational fishery.

Many of you on my friends list share a passion for fishing. Lots of you, although not avid fisher people, have enjoyed time on the water via giving me the privilege of taking you out and sharing a small portion of what fishing and time on the water contributes to my life. A bunch of you may not have had that opportunity, but you have enjoyed some of the wonderful treats I have harvested over the years. Others of you have had the opportunity to see the one of a kind smile on a child's face as they catch their first fish. All of you, if you have ever looked at my posts or pics, will have no doubt as to the roll sport fishing has in giving balance to my life.

The purpose of this initiative is to help make sure that well informed decisions are being made that will benefit the whales as well as provide a continued opportunity for a responsible rec fishery to exist. There is so much at stake, for the whales, economically, socially and yes personally if we do not find balance in our efforts. I believe this group and the direction they are taking is the best chance at achieving that. Right now the alternative will be a loss of access and the continued trend toward the, not so far away, end of recreational fishing on our coast.”

Then the link.

BTW; this was 5 min after first seeing the link and after I made my donation.

At last check I still had “zero $raised as a result of sharing this page” outside of the generous donation made by a past member of this forum.

Last edited:
Here is what I know about trying to get people to take 5 min out to open the links I shared and hopefully donate.

It is HARD!!

I have many people that come out and ask me
To take them fishing. Probably more that have their hands out wen i smoke a batch ext. Here was my attempt to get some help. I went so far as to indirectly call them out. These are life long friends and Family .

One person made a big donation 5 min after I posted. Maybe 3 shares the link only after I mass texted them all directly.

Here it is. Where did I go wrong?

“OK THIS IS SOOO IMPORTANT TO ME!!!. PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND CHECK OUT THIS LINK!!.

Then,if you choose and are able follow the prompts and give a little support. (no amount is too small). If nothing else please share it on your page. We need to spread the message of this initiative far and wide!!

Recreational fishing is under attack. There is a large movement to demand action be taken to try to help the southern Resident Killer whales. I support that fully along with almost every angler I know. Unfortunately, the decisions being made by the department of fisheries is being driven largely by a very poor understanding of the facts, a lack of science, and the affects those decisions will and will not have on both the whales and the many that depend on a responsible recreational fishery.

Many of you on my friends list share a passion for fishing. Lots of you, although not avid fisher people, have enjoyed time on the water via giving me the privilege of taking you out and sharing a small portion of what fishing and time on the water contributes to my life. A bunch of you may not have had that opportunity, but you have enjoyed some of the wonderful treats I have harvested over the years. Others of you have had the opportunity to see the one of a kind smile on a child's face as they catch their first fish. All of you, if you have ever looked at my posts or pics, will have no doubt as to the roll sport fishing has in giving balance to my life.

The purpose of this initiative is to help make sure that well informed decisions are being made that will benefit the whales as well as provide a continued opportunity for a responsible rec fishery to exist. There is so much at stake, for the whales, economically, socially and yes personally if we do not find balance in our efforts. I believe this group and the direction they are taking is the best chance at achieving that. Right now the alternative will be a loss of access and the continued trend toward the, not so far away, end of recreational fishing on our coast.”

Then the link.

BRW; this was 5 min after first seeing the link and after I made my donation.

At last check I still had “zero $raised as a result of sharing this page”

Thank you so much, You get it! I know many on this site do but its getting to the casual fishermen and thoes that ignore fishery politics or may just fully not understand whats coming.

Most are likely waiting to see what DFO is actually going to do. Once some details are out, fishers, businesses, communities will see how it will hit them directly. It might take all of 2019 for this to play out.

Most are likely waiting to see what DFO is actually going to do. Once some details are out, fishers, businesses, communities will see how it will hit them directly. It might take all of 2019 for this to play out.
Yes, unfortunately people tend to sit back and wait to see what will actually happen rather than anticipate what could take place and take proactive measures to address the issues ahead of when they happen. That is the point behind raising $ to fund a social media campaign ($8,000 spend thus far developing and boosting posts, website development, attending meetings etc). We have reached over 400,000 people, and hopefully slowly chipping away at some of the false media some of the ENGO groups are putting out there. We also have been working closely with other partners such as the BC Chamber of Commerce to reach out to the business community to provide education and awareness as to the economic value of recreational, commercial and FN fisheries - they are the back bone of economic activity in many coastal communities.

In addition, DFO has initiated Technical Working Groups to develop management measures to address SRKW recovery. Those are on a tight timeline, with short term measures deadline of March 1 and long-term measures deadline of June 1. DFO is not covering the cost of attending meetings in Vancouver, so again, the funds raised will help us with travel expenses...no one is being paid, we are all volunteers!

Bottom line is the recreational, and commercial fisheries are under attack - the green ENGO groups have a simple solution - close them down. If we fail to organize, raise the financial resources to fight back, then there are clearly those out there who wish to see the end of our fisheries. Being proactive and trying to address these issues is a fight worth investing time and financial resource into.

Even at that, I will caution folks that there will be changes to our fishery - the real question will be how much can we influence science-based level headed decision making that actually puts in place management measures that will have a demonstrated benefit that balances the need to have social and economic benefits of continued recreational, commercial and FN fisheries.

Bottom line is the recreational, and commercial fisheries are under attack - the green ENGO groups have a simple solution - close them down. If we fail to organize, raise the financial resources to fight back, then there are clearly those out there who wish to see the end of our fisheries. Being proactive and trying to address these issues is a fight worth investing time and financial resource into.

Yes it is still happening, recent submittle by raincoast to WFC-RCF-WA-Task-Force. Close down hatcheries and shut down ocean fishing. You can bet this will also be submitted to our IFMP.

https://www.raincoast.org/wp-conten...CF-WA-Task-Force-submission-Oct-25-2019-1.pdf

https://www.raincoast.org/wp-conten...ssessment-of-Sept-11-2019_-October-4-2019.pdf

Yes it is still happening, recent submittle by raincoast to WFC-RCF-WA-Task-Force. Close down hatcheries and shut down ocean fishing. You can bet this will also be submitted to our IFMP.

https://www.raincoast.org/wp-conten...CF-WA-Task-Force-submission-Oct-25-2019-1.pdf

https://www.raincoast.org/wp-conten...ssessment-of-Sept-11-2019_-October-4-2019.pdf

And they all failed to listen to Dr. Trites who long ago raised the question of why are the NRKW doing so well in contrast to their SRKW cousins....same food source, but perhaps the NRKW are out-competing their cousins and now new research proves him right...and all this spin doctoring is just that. All the advice their "experts" provided to put in place sanctuaries that SRKW hardly ever utilized and all the economic chaos they created....and for what benefit to SRKW when the answers rest elsewhere.

Back