Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

It shouldn’t be an either or. What needs to happen is one group unite the smaller groups and then speak on their behalf of all. It may require that blanket organization modify its agenda to appeal to a broader range of fishers, but that’s how you build consensus.If no one group fits the criteria of having everyone’s, all recreational fisher’s, best interest at heart,then all you will end up having is a bunch of splinter groups, pushing individual agendas. People on here often talk about how we need to work together, this is where it needs to happen IMO.

I guess I also would rather talk to my local MP than sending letters to a far away minister I never met in Ottawa. SVIAC is here and present on south island, SFI not really. If it wasn't for Martin who coincidentally lives down here, I would not have seen a single rep of SFI yet.

Interesting thread going on again I see... calmsea u have yet to open your eyes or for that matter under most of what goes on....:( As for the SVIAC and its directors it has become fair clear how they want this to go down..interesting no SFI directors helping out...lol really

I was going to throw a bunch of shade...

Here is the reality 95% of fishermen won't even think about anything that affects them or do anything about it....

How do you get them involved or at least join a group?

Oh and yesterday I took a video of 50+ rec boats fishing at sandheads, with a pod of orcs in the middle. With a few boats trolling directly at the pod. I guess I know why Misty wants 29-3 and 29-4 closed

How do you engage the casual fishermen?

Last edited:
Interesting thread going on again I see... calmsea u have yet to open your eyes or for that matter under most of what goes on....:( As for the SVIAC and its directors it has become fair clear how they want this to go down..interesting no SFI directors helping out...lol really

Sure hope we don't start throwing other like minded, rec sector lobby groups under the bus here! Pretty dysfunction and illogical action that plays into the hands of those that would like to shut this sector down if this is the case? The time for the rec sector to come together and unite in strength is now!

Last edited:
Well that didn't take long. Calmsea why are you stirring it up, and who sent you?

SVIAC is not the choice to lead us BC wide. They need to focus on net pen and their alliance to whale watching industry to get it done so it continues. That in itself is F/T job. They have done good work but only in a small area. But still how has it worked out there. You still got crucified in your area ( well mine too).

SFI doesn't know what happens on south island?? I am confused. Please know your material more before you go off in public calmsea. Much of what you said isn't true, and question why you said it on here. I believe you were also at the last meeting with the MP at the Prestige, and you know full well SFI showed up. Totally question your post. Now isn't the time to play games on here.
Yes and No , many do percieve that the SFI mainly represents fishing guides and resorts , many are searching for a representative body , one that will fight for a fair and equitable share of the available catch, one that will have conservation in mind so as there will be a sustainable fishery. In the mean time DFO sits back and laughs as we squabble as they await the next edict from the PMO's office..

I was going to throw a bunch of shade...

Here is the reality 95% of fishermen won't even think about anything that affects them or do anything about it....

How do you get them involved or at least join a group?

Oh and yesterday I took a video of 50+ rec boats fishing at sandheads, with a pod of orcs in the middle. With a few boats trolling directly at the pod. I guess I know why Misty wants 29-3 and 29-4 closed

How do you engage the casual fishermen?
That is what we all need to think about ! and who bestwill represent us.

Yes and No , many do percieve that the SFI mainly represents fishing guides and resorts , many are searching for a representative body , one that will fight for a fair and equitable share of the available catch, one that will have conservation in mind so as there will be a sustainable fishery. In the mean time DFO sits back and laughs as we squabble as they await the next edict from the PMO's office..

I would believe that is the aim and objects of all groups... In the end one should look at what they believe is the group the represents there beliefs best... but if u have not joined a group ..Do so..if you have the means to be member of a couple groups..then do so... regardless of what some people do feel about SFI we are all in this together...we ALL benefit from the out comes and we are all sportfishers.... I'm off to tuna fish .. get out and fish there is some good fishing available still and enjoy yourself

cheers :)

Spoke with a friend involved with SFI. He said "Our response will be to encourage participation in these consultations and to continue to push on the importance and critical necessity that sound science be the guide and that any measures are meaningful and impactful rather than window dressing. The southern areas currently proposed are based in part only on inference from studies in near by areas and observations about commercial and recreational fisheries. In the north, its worse than inference in that the body of research around the northern area is absolutely situational and a result of research scientists being given access and opportunity to study whale behaviour out of Langara Fishing Adventures. So, because of Langara’s generosity there is some good data about whales in Dixon Entrance and because of the remoteness of so much of the northern coast, there is very little data anywhere else! This is not to mention the fact that NRKW are not in trouble, as a matter of fact, as you probably know, they are thriving.

We are also working on a plan to launch a campaign soon to work at changing the public conversation, and therefor opinion of politicians, regarding the misinformation drifting around about the issues; pinniped predator control, SRKW and chinook abundance for a start. This will be launched sometime in September or early October and will run as long as it needs to."

Our groups need buckets of money, so open your wallets
Agree 100% but until such time as these groups can come together and articulate a way ahead, I don’t see those buckets of money materializing. I’d be quite happy to donate to an organization that represents my area, but I’ve yet to find one. I was taken back by the lack of pushback when they closed Pender Bluffs, it almost felt like a “sucks to be you scenario”. To my mind that’s the problem he have, everything is stovepiped, there needs to be an umbrella organization that encompasses the smaller regional organizations! The question is who is it going to be? Once I know I will happily open my wallet.

For the most part all these groups have reps at the table for the important meetings and work together with a common direction and goals. The regional groups are more in tune with local issues and can help bring the BC wide groups up to speed. Just like the local SFAC’s work with the SFAB south and north coast boards and then on to the main board.

I am a member of SFI and SVIAC. So far I have not heard a word from either of them. I have repeatedly called for one of our provincial and regional groups to fully articulate their plan to save our access to fish our coastal waters. I still have not seen one, if there is one and I am talking through my hat please correct me. All I have been asked to do is write a couple of letters. I will happily participate, in fact I am WAITING to participate in any regional / provincial plan that is presented, but I truly believe that now is the time for full scale public education on the contributions of the sport fishing sector and not just a letter campaign to Government and DFO

As I said before in another thread the summer months are when just like you guys our reps take some time off and go fishing. Myself as a fishing guide who volunteers many hours to give back...in the summer I have to make sure I make enough to pay the bills. DFO staff are the same...during the summer they are in the field more and not in the office or attending as many meetings. Be patient as the long bang your head against a wall fight will begin soon enough. This is recharge the batteries time.

Last edited:
https://pspwa.app.box.com/v/orca-ta...mail&utm_term=0_9c3626cfe8-17cf66ab3b-1301579

This link above while not exactly related to the original post of cohochinook's referencing the SAR Public Registery and sending our input, it is a link to a PDF file (poster) showing SRKW guidelines ( some being US law ) that have come out from Washington State with regards to etiquette when encountering SRKW . Interesting to see they have committed to the 200 khz transducer idea as a guideline. Heard mixed opinions up here about transducer settings ( whether it really helps SRKW to keep @ 200 khz). Also interesting they weren't afraid to mention the "whale watchers" specifically at one point.

Let’s be clear, while you all were guiding, fishing etc., the Greens were at the tables with DFO both here and Ottawa.
They were dividing up where the NEW closures will be.

These closures have nothing to do with whales.

As I said before in another thread the summer months are when just like you guys our reps take some time off and go fishing. Myself as a fishing guide who volunteers many hours to give back...in the summer I have to make sure I make enough to pay the bills. DFO staff are the same...during the summer they are in the field more and not in the office or attending as many meetings. Be patient as the long bang your head against a wall fight will begin soon enough. This is recharge the batteries time.

Let’s be clear, while you all were guiding, fishing etc., the Greens were at the tables with DFO both here and Ottawa.
They were dividing up where the NEW closures will be.

These closures have nothing to do with whales.

You know what being at table is like. You also would know that is a silly statement. Kind of hard to be at a table when the ministers are on holidays. If you are going to throw rocks because of some past beef get it over with and let's all move on. You know how the process works.

Last edited:
Yes the benefits of having a big bank account and paid staff.

Port Renfrew Marina ask DFO if they could install a Sooke type fish pen and were turned down. Said water environment was not suitable. Smolts are seen around the docks constantly

Back